Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hurricane K- this is not a black and white issue

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

David Moyle wrote:
In government, yes, I think I have way less credibility than someone who's doing the job every day. Everything I state is just that, my opinion. Sure, I can back it with fact most times, but only what fact I have access to. People doing the job have way more access to real facts of the situation. If someone who does the job calls me (and I had a 20 minute conversation the other day with someone who is an emergency response team member in the hurricane relief effort) and tells me what they are seeing, they have way more credibility then I, so I don't debate them, I just ask questions. So, yes, the fact that I am a Photographer does decrease the value of my opinion if you look at it realistically.

True that those who live it everyday have more credibility in the issue but why does that a man who lived and breathe this disaster loses his credibility for speaking on the michael moore show? Or has he lost credibility because this disaster shouldn't have been this horrific but it was as a result of negligence? The person that does the job everyday may know more facts but they are humans and humans lie, cheat and they are honest and caring. Should we believe everything they tell us or would it be wise to see both sides (non bias) and decided and stand for it? The clip may not be one hundred percent true but I don't dismiss it all together.  Without oppinions we are like a herded cattle. this is turning into politics again. good grief. Seriously I would love to hear your oppinion but we should leave politics off this thread. Feel free to send me hate mail or just your oppinion, I do want to hear your perspective on this issue.

Sep 08 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

David Moyle wrote:
In government, yes, I think I have way less credibility than someone who's doing the job every day. Everything I state is just that, my opinion. Sure, I can back it with fact most times, but only what fact I have access to. People doing the job have way more access to real facts of the situation. If someone who does the job calls me (and I had a 20 minute conversation the other day with someone who is an emergency response team member in the hurricane relief effort) and tells me what they are seeing, they have way more credibility then I, so I don't debate them, I just ask questions. So, yes, the fact that I am a Photographer does decrease the value of my opinion if you look at it realistically.

bummer I wrote a response to this but it didn't post... ok.. try again.
oh never mind it posted. the response is as stated above.

Sep 08 05 12:36 pm Link

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

JvR wrote:
You live in a democracy. The government answers to you, the people. Demanding good government from those you have elected on local, state and federal levels is your right. It is not a game. It is not blame. It's called a democratic society.

Feel-good feelings are not going to protect you or me from the next disaster, but by God, let us hope that we will be saved in time when the next disaster hits. And hit it will...sometime, somewhere.

Do you want people like the New Orleans mayor, the Louisiana governor or the current heads of the federal agencies to be there for you when it hits? I don't think so...

Oh, and please don't turn this into a partisan thread. My frustration is with inept Democrats and Republicans alike.

I said nothing of feel good feelings saving us. This is about breaks in the system... just sick of people arguing over racism.
talk is always just talk unless you do something about it.
This wasn't mean to be a partisan or political thread but one that I hoped would turn out to be an info thread. articles, links, clips so forth. both sides of the story in facts not just oppinions and an oppurtunity to help. You can present an article and not have an arguement over it.. its just information for your brain. Leave politics to the other threads but unfortunately it has been brought here and like I told every one else.. lets move it to another thread. Feel free to send me a message or hate mail.

Sep 08 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

i sent some dough to habitat 4 humanity to help rebuild homes for those who lost theirs and i placed a red cross banner on the link page of my site:

http://www.qphotonyc.com/links.htm

...now ima resuime my bitchin' about that slugabug bush admin, dammit!
(but only on the other forum threads ;-)

peace, q

Sep 09 05 10:42 am Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

phoenixbun wrote:

and you should choose photography over politics, with all due respect. Congrats on refraining yourself from raising an agruement. (not being sarcastic)

& that proves you're not a mean person, phoenix.
a mean person would have told a photog to choose politics over photography ;-)
ouch!

Sep 09 05 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

phoenixbun wrote:
and you should choose photography over politics, with all due respect. Congrats on refraining yourself from raising an agruement. (not being sarcastic)

I find that when actual facts and logic go against pure emotion and liberal opinion that I could show the truth till I'm blue in the face and not persuade you. There's something about calm and rational debating that irritates the hell out of the left and makes them think the other party doesn't care.

Besides, I have too many skeletons to be in politics.  wink

Sep 09 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Jim Warren wrote:
I find that when actual facts and logic go against pure emotion and liberal opinion that I could show the truth till I'm blue in the face and not persuade you. There's something about calm and rational debating that irritates the hell out of the left and makes them think the other party doesn't care.

The same can be said for conservatives, though.  All I say is that Bush should have gone in sooner.  It's not a bash on him - hindsight is 20/20, but he could have.  I immediately get slammed with these inane comments from people who would rather slit their wrists than ever make any comment that goes against him. 

Those of us in the middle, on either side, have the ability to critique performance by looking at the facts that have come out and basing our decisions on those facts.  The extremists on either side will never admit they're wrong...

Sep 09 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Silly Camera Man

Atlanta, Georgia, US

quote]
Thanks, I can tell you are the few that listens, watch, then speak. Not very many people do that anymore. Everyone is so caught up in themselves and their oppinions to open the mind and listen. I do agree. Anytime racism can be used as a reason it will be.... not to deny that racism does happen. Racism will live as long as we continue to seperate ourselves from one another in a manner of blame.
you don't like cajun food?

yeah i cant stand cajun food, but it looks like i'll be eating it in next month or so,,,

Sep 09 05 04:49 pm Link

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jim Warren wrote:

Besides, I have too many skeletons to be in politics.  wink

I hate politics. Its like argueing about a religion. No one wins. Tell the Christian to go to a Mormon church. I'm not religious. I have no political agenda only the interest of humanity and mother earth at heart. Talk of righties and lefties just seperates humanity. When it comes to politics, I never hear calm and rational debating... people like to take shots below the belt, resort to name calling and/or classification-  "There's something about calm and rational debating that irritates the hell out of the left and makes them think the other party doesn't care."
Facts and logic is in the eye of the beholder. You are just as guilty as any. You claim the right, so the left can't stand with you? Politics, shmolatics.....

Sep 10 05 12:58 am Link

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

qphotonyc wrote:

& that proves you're not a mean person, phoenix.
a mean person would have told a photog to choose politics over photography ;-)
ouch!

you are too cute. lol.
I hate politics. Lefties, righties... whites, blacks... night, day...
it should be the left hand, and the right hand of one body.
white meets black turns grey...yeah it becomes one shade.
night works with day... you sleep then you play.
but in politics its like the left against the right
the night is opposite of day
white is a different shade than black.
poooo.....
I don't care.
I know an idiot when I see one, I don't need anyone to try and justify him burning the church down or explain how he bumped his head on the door.

Sep 10 05 01:16 am Link

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

The same can be said for conservatives, though.  All I say is that Bush should have gone in sooner.  It's not a bash on him - hindsight is 20/20, but he could have.  I immediately get slammed with these inane comments from people who would rather slit their wrists than ever make any comment that goes against him. 

Those of us in the middle, on either side, have the ability to critique performance by looking at the facts that have come out and basing our decisions on those facts.  The extremists on either side will never admit they're wrong...

extremists suck.

Sep 10 05 01:20 am Link

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

qphotonyc wrote:
i sent some dough to habitat 4 humanity to help rebuild homes for those who lost theirs and i placed a red cross banner on the link page of my site:

http://www.qphotonyc.com/links.htm

...now ima resuime my bitchin' about that slugabug bush admin, dammit!
(but only on the other forum threads ;-)

peace, q

Good job beauiful. And go bitch some more on the other thread holla if you need back up. I still hate politics.

Sep 10 05 01:27 am Link