Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > I NEED HELP WITH MY COMPUTER.

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Okay so some of you were asking for more details on what is wrong with my computer so here goes.

I turned on my computer yesterday before work and some of the applications will not work IE:

AIM
Ad Aware
Microsoft Office
System Restore
Adding or Removing Programs
Virus Scan
Any Games like solitare and hearts
Disk Clean up
Defragmenting
Notepad
Calulator
Windows Media Player
Software for my Digital Camera
& probably more I can't think of.

Whenever I try to open one of those it gives me this message:

"Windows Cannot Open This File

File Name: aim.exe (or whatever the file name is)

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer......"

And when I go online to get it fixed it sends me to a website that really does nothing for me. And I have been told to start my computer in safe mode and remove programs that way, but for some reason when I press F2 it doesn't give me that option.

So if you're going to tell me to run a scan or anything like that, I can't... I am guess what I have to do is re install XP??

Sep 07 05 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

your gonna have to link all those programs with thier program files..
Something is deffinitly wrong..
It would be smarter to reinstall

Hj

Sep 07 05 10:46 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

what type of computer do you have?

Sep 07 05 10:50 am Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Hugh is right, but what I would try first before you reinstall everything is, if you can still get online, is go to McAffee's website and do their online virus scan to see if you have a virus.

I got a virus a while back and the first thing the virus did was to turn off and disabled my virus program and then started disabling other systems and programs. So I went to McAfee and did the online virus scan and it found it. Then downloaded the virus fix to remove it. Then restored the system.

Since you have XP, did you also try to restore the computer to an earlier date, like a week before you had the problem, to see if those systems and programs come back online.

If your going to reinstall XP, I would suggest you reformat the hard drive first, then reinstall it.

Sep 07 05 10:56 am Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Benny wrote:
what type of computer do you have?

A dell with windows xp

Sep 07 05 11:05 am Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Icecold Images wrote:
Hugh is right, but what I would try first before you reinstall everything is, if you can still get online, is go to McAffee's website and do their online virus scan to see if you have a virus.

I got a virus a while back and the first thing the virus did was to turn off and disabled my virus program and then started disabling other systems and programs. So I went to McAfee and did the online virus scan and it found it. Then downloaded the virus fix to remove it. Then restored the system.

Since you have XP, did you also try to restore the computer to an earlier date, like a week before you had the problem, to see if those systems and programs come back online.

If your going to reinstall XP, I would suggest you reformat the hard drive first, then reinstall it.

I'll try that virus scan, but I can't get into my system restore. Otherwise I would have done that!

Sep 07 05 11:06 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

try this site I had better results if it is a virus on your comp http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ , and I also have a dell and i have the windows xp cd for dell

you can only use internet explorer to run the scan

Sep 07 05 11:13 am Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Benny wrote:
try this site I had better results if it is a virus on your comp http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ , and I also have a dell and i have the windows xp cd for dell

gah! i hate you! haha, i need that cd. i'm running a scan online right now, we'll see if i have any ..

Sep 07 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Icecold Images wrote:

Yea Ice is right i forgot to tell ya that!!

Just do what he says..

And get a good virus program!!!!!

(:------

Hj

Sep 07 05 11:21 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

there are also programs that you can download from dell that will fix problems for you I am uploading them now and will put on a link here for you to download them

Sep 07 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Hit f-4-f-8 at the same time after your bios screen is over that will get ya into safe mode..
Then try system restore but if ya have virus ya still gotta kill it

Hj

Sep 07 05 11:24 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dell Support 2.1
R78569.EXE
Get instant answers to your questions and information about your computer.
http://www2.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t=zA … Un72jus0BR

Dell Driver Reset Tool
R92578.EXE
Driver Reset Tool is an application that will scan the system for malfunctioning drivers and reset such drivers to the original drivers available in the system.
http://www2.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t=ne … ay6aCZVqg5

Dell Crash Analysis Tool
R88759.EXE
This tool scans the system for any drivers that are indicated by Microsoft Online Crash Analysis data as a possible reason for system crashes, blue screens, system lockups, etc. To start it, click on start, highlight All Programs, highlight Dell Accessories, and click on Crash Analysis Tool
http://www2.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t=WQ … 652mffpwoR

Sep 07 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
Hit f-4-f-8 at the same time after your bios screen is over that will get ya into safe mode..
Then try system restore but if ya have virus ya still gotta kill it

Hj

Actually, the F4 is unnecessary.

In the short time between the time the POST is finished and Windows starts to load, press F8.

You'll then be presented with a screen which allows you to go into safe mode.

From the message you're getting, it looks like Windows has unassociated the .exe extension with executable programs. I didn't know it could do that.

You might get some results from the command line.

For example....

Click Start - Run - and type in CMD in the box and click ok.

You'll get a black DOS window.

At the prompt, which is probably C:>, type SOL and press enter.
Solitare should pop up.

Let me know what happens and I'll see if I can think something else up.   You might want to message me directly at [email protected]

Sep 07 05 11:42 am Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

1.) Scanned the computer, NO VIRUSES.
2.) I tried safe mode and i still cannot do anything.

I guess i just need to find someone with the CD and re install?

Sep 07 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

xLoLLy wrote:
1.) Scanned the computer, NO VIRUSES.
2.) I tried safe mode and i still cannot do anything.

I guess i just need to find someone with the CD and re install?

Sounds to me like your registry got all F-ed up. Did you try restoring to an earlier date?

Sep 07 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Bummer..
Well at least youll have a new clean install

Sep 07 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I would try the "Restore" before you do the CD reinstall.

For XP:

Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, (top left of screen under "See Also") System Restore. Click on each as written here. You should be able to get to that. if not i have some other options you can try. Restore to the day before you had the problem.
Have you made any changed on the computer the day of or the day before this problem started?

Sep 07 05 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
I would try the "Restore" before you do the CD reinstall.

For XP:

Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, (top left of screen under "See Also") System Restore. Click on each as written here. You should be able to get to that. if not i have some other options you can try. Restore to the day before you had the problem.
Have you made any changed on the computer the day of or the day before this problem started?

If you look at her list of programs that won't run, system restore is on the list.

Sep 07 05 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Bill Sylvester wrote:

If you look at her list of programs that won't run, system restore is on the list.

I see that but that depends on how she was going about getting there. She can post on here so IE is working. Control panel uses IE so if she can get into the control panel she should be able to get to restore.

Sep 07 05 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

xLoLLy wrote:
Okay so some of you were asking for more details on what is wrong with my computer so here goes.

I turned on my computer yesterday before work and some of the applications will not work IE:

AIM
Ad Aware
Microsoft Office
System Restore
Adding or Removing Programs
Virus Scan
Any Games like solitare and hearts
Disk Clean up
Defragmenting
Notepad
Calulator
Windows Media Player
Software for my Digital Camera
& probably more I can't think of.

Whenever I try to open one of those it gives me this message:

"Windows Cannot Open This File

File Name: aim.exe (or whatever the file name is)

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer......"

And when I go online to get it fixed it sends me to a website that really does nothing for me. And I have been told to start my computer in safe mode and remove programs that way, but for some reason when I press F2 it doesn't give me that option.

So if you're going to tell me to run a scan or anything like that, I can't... I am guess what I have to do is re install XP??

This can happen when you have a virus protection program and it quantines or fixes the virus.  this sometimes breaks exe's from launching properly.  The only way I have been able to fix this in the past has been to reinstall Windows.

Sep 07 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I am assuming she has a up-to-date virus program and ran that also.

If no virus is on the computer and she cannot open these files then the only thing that i can see that would effect all these programs is if she inadvertantly moved the containing folders around on the hard drive.
That can be fixed by a few methods, one is restore and one is manualy.

Sep 07 05 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:

I see that but that depends on how she was going about getting there. She can post on here so IE is working. Control panel uses IE so if she can get into the control panel she should be able to get to restore.

I was assuming she was on a different computer. I suppose I shouldn't assume.

Sep 07 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I agree with digital to some extent but if it fixed the virus the virus program itself should still be running and able to open.
If she can open it she can check to see if it fixed files or deleted a virus recently. She would have gotten a window informing her of this action also (under default setting).

Sep 07 05 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Bill Sylvester wrote:

I was assuming she was on a different computer. I suppose I shouldn't assume.

LOL Well i should not assume either i figured she was using using the one with the problems.

Sep 07 05 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Its been awhile i hope she was able to get it fixed.

You still here xLoLLy?

Sep 07 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

ive had similar problems with my dell laptop, i tried the trend micro, the norton utilities, etc nothing worked, i had to reformat the hard drive and re-install xp pro, in the meantime i had to buy a new laptop from them, to continue working

making them so damn cheap they're almost disposable now

Sep 07 05 09:33 pm Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I had to go to work and had friends over. Just want to let you all know that;

-- i cannot get into system restore no matter what way i try
-- nothing in safe mode will work either
-- i ran a virus scan, nothing was wrong.

i just think my files are effed up, BAD!

Sep 07 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Did you try the stuff I messaged you?

Check your path variables and make sure they're ok.

Sep 07 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

you better watch it with your "shouting" on your title of the thread.  there are pigs running around.

as for your computer, if you can't get any of your programs to run, like your virus scanner... try pcpitstop.com and test your computer.  it will explain to you what's wrong and will give suggestions on how to fix it.

Sep 08 05 05:45 am Link

Photographer

M B

Chicago, Illinois, US

DON'T WASTE TIME TRYING TO FIX IT. Format and reload from the Dell system restore disks. Get Symantec or McAfee Antivirus up and going before doing anything else on the web. Also a good idea to download the MS Anti Spyware software.

After this is done may I suggest driving to MI to shoot?

Sep 08 05 05:58 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Mike Brouwer wrote:
DON'T WASTE TIME TRYING TO FIX IT.

Do you know how much time it takes to reformat a computer and load everything back on it?  I say TRY FIXING IT.  Most of the time, it's just a simple problem that takes minutes to correct.

Sep 08 05 06:28 am Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

ehh. i've pretty much given up on it.. i can't do shit. i'll just wing it until i can afford a new one or until my boyfriend can get a hold of his friend who fixed his.

Thanks for all the help though! xo

Sep 08 05 01:14 pm Link