Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Charmaine Neville's escape from New Orleans

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Singer Charmaine Neville  is one of the famous Neville family. She has done tons of work with the United Way of New Orleans.  This is her
account of escaping  from New Orleans. Alligators, dead babies,
stepping on bodies,  shooting at helicopters, being ignored by the
National Guard, rescuing  cops, commandeering a bus.   

http://www.wafb.com/Global/SearchResult … &x=13&y=10

Sep 08 05 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I see nobody is responding to this, an actual, true account of how these people were left to die intentionally.

But I guess they also chose to stay there and die, huh?

Sep 09 05 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Michael Tappan

Scottsbluff, Nebraska, US

I watched it and listened to it. What else can be said? It's horrible beyond belief and no one should have to experience that. I'm sure there are many more stories to come out even more horrible.

I wouldn't go so far as to claim they were intentially left to die, but it was the most extreme form of torture and neglect and I hope the guilty parties can be punished, as it was criminal neglect.

Sep 09 05 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

If that's not being left to die, then please tell me what is being left to die.

Sep 09 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Uh oh, that can't be. When the actual victims start talking, the government will be even more shamed.

Problem is, there are just too many of those victims to give them all the Swift Boat treatment.

Before this is over, every apologist for the mayor, the governor and the president will have to eat his/her words.

Sep 09 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I smell impeachments.

Sep 09 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Monsante Bey wrote:
I smell impeachments.

Nobody will have the guts for impeachments. It ain't happening. The Republicans will start to distance themselves from the White House, though, if they want to win next year's mid-term elections...

Sep 09 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I thought her explanations for shooting at the helicopters was interesting.  I hadn't thought of that as a possibility before.

For those of you who didn't watch the video, she basically says that the people that she was with weren't shooting at the helicopters, but rather shooting in the air to get their attention because the didn't think the people in the helicopters had seen them. 

I doubt that was the case every time, but it at least explains some of the behaviour we've seen out of NO...

Sep 09 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
I smell impeachments.

Of the President or of the officals at the state level? 

If you're talking about the President being impeached, it'll never happen.  Mainly because the President didn't commit any crimes.  From what I've read and seen, but only thing he's done wrong is not overrulling the governor of Louisiana when she refused his assistance.  I think at most you can chalk this up to hindsight being 20/20.  Should he have sent in the troops earlier?  In my opinion he should have, but we have the luxury of knowning what happened when he didn't.

Sep 09 05 02:45 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

Of the President or of the officals at the state level? 

If you're talking about the President being impeached, it'll never happen.  Mainly because the President didn't commit any crimes.  From what I've read and seen, but only thing he's done wrong is not overrulling the governor of Louisiana when she refused his assistance.  I think at most you can chalk this up to hindsight being 20/20.  Should he have sent in the troops earlier?  In my opinion he should have, but we have the luxury of knowning what happened when he didn't.

Since when has that mattered. Andrew Johnson was impreached for a crime he committed prior to a law being passed against it. Clinton was impeached for what may have been the least detrimental act of perjury ever. Call Bush a war criminal and you're in.

The real reason he'll never be impeached is because his party controls both the house and senate.

Sep 09 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
I thought her explanations for shooting at the helicopters was interesting.  I hadn't thought of that as a possibility before.

For those of you who didn't watch the video, she basically says that the people that she was with weren't shooting at the helicopters, but rather shooting in the air to get their attention because the didn't think the people in the helicopters had seen them. 

I doubt that was the case every time, but it at least explains some of the behaviour we've seen out of NO...

I'm not sure how many of us can rightly imagine how we'd act when faced with those circumstances.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/SearchResult … &x=13&y=10

Sep 09 05 04:46 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
I see nobody is responding to this, an actual, true account of how these people were left to die intentionally.

But I guess they also chose to stay there and die, huh?

Negligence, ignorance, stupidity, complacency, unpreparedness, panic, absolutely. Intentional...I don't think so.
Call ME ignorant if you like, but I refuse to believe that there was some sort of conspiracy at work here to allow thousands of innocent people to starve to death or worse, suffer the unspeakable stories of horror that are coming out of NO.

I don't think the thousands of people, maybe millions, who are at this very moment opening up thier wallets, hearts, veigns and homes for these people would agree with you. Given an opportunity to do something sooner, those who are helping now, would have been there the very first night. Those people I speak of are the citizens of the United States and the world.

Peggy

Sep 09 05 06:52 pm Link