Forums > Photography Talk > need and want

Photographer

dadikongbaduy

Manila, Arkansas, US

for a photographer, which is need and which is want?
a state-of-the-art camera or expensive lighting equipment?
for me it's a good camera that i need. with a good camera your ability to produce a good picture is limited only by your creativeness and resourcefulness and you can do without expensive lighting equipment.

Sep 09 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

hhhmmm, well.....

Sep 09 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

they're all wants all we really need is a body with a lens and light. iworked with the same canon AE-1 for 7 years with no flash or anything. now i've stepped up to a canon eos 1v but thats was a pure want. i wont even beable to use half the custom functions. i guess it all also depends on what you're shooting for. for some a 16mpdslr is a need.

its all relative.

Sep 09 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

dadikongbaduy wrote:
for me it's a good camera that i need. with a good camera your ability to produce a good picture is limited only by your creativeness and resourcefulness and you can do without expensive lighting equipment.

This could be like shooting your self in the foot but your taking really good aim.
I bought the low-end prosumer Canon 10D a year ago and the cheapest tungsten strobes used (30+ yr old Speedotron Brownline) and have been buying glass as I can afford it.
To answer your question, I don’t have any needs. And my wants are few, if anything, I want a larger studio. I manage well with what I have and what I get to shoot.

Sep 09 05 05:20 pm Link

Model

Brittiany

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Would you want to shoot with me or NEED to shoot with me???
Sike... Just playing wink

Sep 09 05 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

A WANT becomes a NEED the minute you can afford it. smile

Sep 09 05 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Oakley

Cocoa, Florida, US

KHatch wrote:

that is so true.. LOL..

chris

Sep 09 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Both!!

I need Both!!

(:------

Hj

Sep 09 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

dadikongbaduy wrote:

Neither?

If you're photographing sports, or need high frame rates, a 'state-of-the-art camera' may be needed for todays market. If you're working with models, you should be able to get acceptable results from an inexpensive P&S film camera--even a disposable one.

Good lighting equipment, on the other hand, is critical, but it doesn't have to be expensive. A $10 chunk of foam core and the thermonuclear light source 100 million miles away can do wonders, as can the wall of someone else's house with that same light source.

Need? Experience, practice, and knowledge.

Want? Pretty much everything else. smile

Sep 09 05 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Want = Canon 5d (after owning the 20d for two whole weeks and swearing before god and the wife that after getting the 20d, I won't need anything for a while)

Need = Hallie Berry

Sep 09 05 07:40 pm Link

Model

PinayVampyre

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

KHatch wrote:

***Hahahah so true...

Sorry I have no useful input in this thread =P

Sep 09 05 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

IsatiableEyesPhoto

Greenville, Alabama, US

mag-jr wrote:
(after owning the 20d for two whole weeks and swearing before god and the wife that after getting the 20d, I won't need anything for a while)

Hey man, that's my line. I just told my girlfriend the same thing about 4 months ago!

Sep 09 05 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

mag-jr wrote:
Want = Canon 5d (after owning the 20d for two whole weeks and swearing before god and the wife that after getting the 20d, I won't need anything for a while)

I had only a slightly longer relationship with my ex- as I have with the 10D I bought in part to get over her.  If that makes any sense.

Sep 09 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

lol

My wife was standing over my shoulder reading this and said

"pathetic, all you guys are simply pathetic"

I'm using the angle that cause I shoot weddings, I need the 5d for noise control indoors blah blah blah.

I gave her my rebel, I gotta tell her I'll give her the 20d, then sell the rebel and get a powershot pro lol. 12mp that's affordable is pretty nice!

Sep 09 05 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Zion Imaging

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

mag-jr wrote:

Need = Hallie Berry

So what did the wife think of this one?

Your need that is...........

tongue

Sep 09 05 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

i want a nikon d2x, all my lighting was a need, which is why i got it.  a good photographer can take good pics with a shitty camera, but bad photographer will always be bad.  lighting is also what makes a picture.

Sep 09 05 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Zion Imaging

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

trying to get last post to show... lol

and it didn't .. off to another planet it seems..

Sep 09 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Zion Imaging wrote:

So what did the wife think of this one?

Your need that is...........

tongue

She called me a whore cause I was just trying to wheel and deal to get with her lol. She calls me a cheater cause I always say Eva Mendes is my girl.

Sep 09 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

My problem is that I really don't need anything but I've got the bug to buy something.  The only thing I've bought in a year or so is background paper.  I keep thinking about the 20D and a few lighting accessories but.....

Paul

Sep 09 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jefferson Dorsey

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I NEED money to buy the stuff I WANT.

Sep 10 05 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

dadikongbaduy wrote:

LOL!!  Lighting is the KEY to photography!!

Go blow your dough on a fancy camera.. your lighting won't improve, I  guarantee you!

JP

Sep 10 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

mag-jr wrote:
She called me a whore cause I was just trying to wheel and deal to get with her lol. She calls me a cheater cause I always say Eva Mendes is my girl.

Berry AND Mendes! You can't save one of them for me? F**ing greedy.

Sep 10 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

megafunk wrote:

Berry AND Mendes! You can't save one of them for me? F**ing greedy.

Sorry dude, you can have Janet and Beyonce' I've dumped them both a few months ago wink

Sep 10 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

when i was 11 i built a camera out of an oatmeal container and some kind of photo paper i stole from the science room at my school. i took a picture of a girl from down the road posing in the sun. it didn't turn out so bad considering i had no clue what i was doing as far as developing. my point? i don't remeber......... oh yea, when you have a good eye and common sense you can work with ANYTHING.

Sep 11 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
My problem is that I really don't need anything but I've got the bug to buy something.  The only thing I've bought in a year or so is background paper.  I keep thinking about the 20D and a few lighting accessories but.....

Paul

Do IT! Do IT! Do IT!

big_smile

I really like my 20D.

Sep 11 05 01:26 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

mag-jr wrote:
Sorry dude, you can have Janet and Beyonce' I've dumped them both a few months ago wink

Always getting big brothers holey handmedowns. GrrRrrr.

Sep 11 05 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

dadikongbaduy wrote:

Sunlight is about as expensive a lighting equipment that I get...or want to get for that matter. Besides climbing up on trees or rolling around in the grass is part of the fun of shooting outdoors.

Therefore the lighting equipment is a want & the camera is a need....although I'd much rather upgrade lenses than get a new camera body.

But if a person doesn't understand light or how it effects compositions then I'll have to agree w/ Visual Mindscapes that no amount of equipment can save them.

Sep 11 05 12:15 pm Link