Forums > Photography Talk > Anybody "slimming" models?

Photographer

Roman Medvid

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

Hi all,

Now and then I'm bumping into a very stupid problem: when I shoot a girl, her images coming off my pro camera show that she is hmmm... not that slim as she can see in her compact camera. I'm working with not-so-much-perfect-figure types, so this is not a rare issue.

I understand that my tele lens that I use for portraits has a different covering of the model than her wide simple lens in a compact camera, but does anybody else experience that kind od problem? What's even more hilarious, her legs seem shorter with my camera as well smile I'm going wide, I take a low shooting position, yet I fail to make them at least as long as they seem on her pics from a $10 PAS cam.

Shame on me...

Sep 10 05 03:55 am Link

Photographer

digital cowboy

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, US

Careful and prudent applications of photoshop's liquify filter go a long.long.way.
-=Jeff=-

Sep 10 05 04:20 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Wouldn't a tele make the model look slimmer than a wide angle lens would?

I've heard lighting the model from two sides makes her look slimmer as well. Never tried it, though.

Sep 10 05 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

JvR wrote:
Wouldn't a tele make the model look slimmer than a wide angle lens would?

I've heard lighting the model from two sides makes her look slimmer as well. Never tried it, though.

Yea proper lighting will work real good. Beware of dark and light clothing contrasting with the background. With good lighting the contrast will increase the model size depending on her clothing color and the background color (light colored dress and black background).

Roman there are alot of differences between the photo she took and the ones your taking. The main one's being lighting, pose, angle and distance the photo was taken (EDIT: clothing attire for shoot). If you want to compare photos to what she has taken you cant do that because the only lense that would be close is your wide. Your wide i think would take a hugely better quality photo than the P&S lense anyday though.
If you use the telephoto for shots of models then get more background in the photo, the problem your having will not be as noticable.

Sep 10 05 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Pete wrote:
I have a question. Do you use the telephoto because your back a distance from the model and that gets you close enough to get the shot?

Have you tried the wide and edging closer and get the shot with the wide?

That may sound stupid but i asked that because it sounds like you may need a new lense to rectify this problem your having.

Sep 10 05 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Could it be that the point and shoot images are from 2 years ago when the model was in high school and weighed 120, and now it's 3 years, 2 kids, and 40 pounds later???

I've had that issue a time or two.

Model e-mails and says her port needs an update because all her images are "old".

Yup.....definitely time for an update.

LOL

Scales and mirrors rarely lie, but people and friends often lie to themselves about their weight.

Mark

Sep 10 05 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I used to shoot a skinny girl who would look at every image and go "I look fat".  For some reason the skinny girls have convinced themselves that they look "fat" when they dont, and the fat girls have convinced themselves that they are skinny....hmmmm
how to fix that?

If you have a standing image you can "select all" in photoshop, then go to the Edit Menu and select Transform-Scale.  Grab the bottom middle handle and pull downward to stretch the image.....instantly thinner.

You will need to create a couple of inches of extra cavas at the bottom and then recrop.  Go to Image-Canvas Size, and add a couple of inches at the bottom before you begin.

You can create that wide angle shoot from the floor up perspective with this trick.

Just don't push it too far or it will look wrong.

Mark

Sep 10 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

as long as she isn't ..uummmmm...to "unslender", you can also use the pinch filter in PS7 I think it is under "filter"  i just found out about it recently myself.
try it and let me know what you think.

A lot of the girls now a days, have a little tooo much 'puch belly'
(is that the  word), on there belly and the "PINCH" does a pretty good job for me.

Sep 10 05 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Rebecca Peloquin

Los Angeles, California, US

one quick note..practice posing.  Having a model lisft her ribcage and stand a smidge to the side with one foot in front will go a long way toward making a girl who might be a lil chubby a lot littler looking.  Also anything that saves you from using the liquify tool is a good thing...if you must to reiterate..."a little goes a long way.."

good luck!

-Becky

Sep 10 05 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Deacon Blues

Belmont, North Carolina, US

it's all about controling the shadows. If you 'cut' the figure in the right places, you'll see a slimmer looking model even if you're using white on white. Of course, posing is paramount to hiding those unwanted features and displaying those that flatter.
my 2 cents smile

PS- and then when all else fails, liquefy wink

Sep 10 05 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Santa Rosalía, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Yeah, what you said about lenses makes no sense-
Longer lenses compress space, and can even give you "pincushion" distortion, where the sides of the image bow IN...
Shorter lenses do the exact opposite- they make the center of the image bow out.

Soooo.... if you shoot somone with a long lens and a short lens, and keep them aparently the same size in the final image, the one from the longer lens will look "flatter" from front to back... and MAY be slimmer from side to side. I say MAY b/c pincushion distortion is not the mark of a good lens, as hopefully yours are.

I dont think it's the lens, so I'd suspect it's P.O.V., lighting, or posing.

Sep 10 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Ranere

Reading, Massachusetts, US

i think you should do all you can with lighting and posing to make the model look her/his best.  i don't think the image should be manipulated in ps to make the model look thinner.  what happens when the model shows up to a "go see" looking thin in their book and heavy in real life.

Just cuz we can do these things in ps, should we?

Sep 11 05 10:25 am Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Gunfitr wrote:
I used to shoot a skinny girl who would look at every image and go "I look fat".  For some reason the skinny girls have convinced themselves that they look "fat" when they dont, and the fat girls have convinced themselves that they are skinny....hmmmm
how to fix that?

If you have a standing image you can "select all" in photoshop, then go to the Edit Menu and select Transform-Scale.  Grab the bottom middle handle and pull downward to stretch the image.....instantly thinner.

You will need to create a couple of inches of extra cavas at the bottom and then recrop.  Go to Image-Canvas Size, and add a couple of inches at the bottom before you begin.

You can create that wide angle shoot from the floor up perspective with this trick.

Just don't push it too far or it will look wrong.

Mark

Remember the Paula Abdul video than was vertically stretched when she was in her "butt-like-a-Buick" phase?
Prime example.

Sep 11 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Nip Tuck a little  I work more on the skin tones b/c  they do their makeup
liquifer whatever I hate it but use it   if the background is high feq  shit then its all weirded out and looks like its Nipped Tucked

Sep 11 05 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

i generally "liquify" just about every model in every image

just to remove (or re-distribute) the 10lbs the camera puts on them ;->

Sep 12 05 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Chili wrote:
i generally "liquify" just about every model in every image

just to remove (or re-distribute) the 10lbs the camera puts on them ;->

Same.
Although the lens distortion correction filter (I think that's what it's called) in PS CS2 does a nice job of saving me liquify trouble sometimes.

Sep 14 05 10:23 am Link