Forums > Photography Talk > What do u think about pointing out no-show models?

Photographer

Kat Squibb

Lebanon, Pennsylvania, US

I recently had a no-show model who I have heard from other photogs that they  no-showed on them too. Not only did she no-showed but this was last week and I still havent heard from her.  In order to name this girl for what she is I put a TAG on her page saying:

"Please do not contact me again for a shoot unless you have a pretty damn good excuse for last week. I do not deal with unprofessional no-show models."

What do you think of this? Good idea to do with future no-shows to warn other photogs?

Sep 10 05 06:49 am Link

Photographer

skoffphoto

Homer City, Pennsylvania, US

I think that the tag will be deleted as soon as she sees it.  I once knew a person who worked in human resources and was afraid to give a bad reference, no matter how worthless the person was, for fear of being sued.

Sep 10 05 06:54 am Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Kathleen Larsen wrote:
What do you think of this? Good idea to do with future no-shows to warn other photogs?

Well, it's not a bad idea except of course the model can delete it. Not only that, it invites response in kind - nasty tags on your profile too.

GWC!

Sep 10 05 06:57 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I think someone posted a link to a 'no show' site a while back..... as for posting it here on MM, don't do it. Now, if you want to talk amongst yourselves via PM and swap names and numbers, that's your business.

Sep 10 05 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

The other posters have already answered your question regarding the tag idea (and "outing" in general), so here's some general advice:

The flaky model (and photographer) syndrome has already been discussed ad nauseum here (and everywhere else models and photographers gather online). No concensus has been reached on how to deal with the situation except: "This is the Internet. Get over it."

Next time, ask other photographers *before* you book her. This is called "checking references."

Some photographers have a 2nd booking cancellation deposit policy: If the model wants to rebook, she pays a deposit beforehand that's refunded at the shoot. No show, photographer keeps the money.

I'm sorry about your minor misfortune, but if you book a lot of models off the 'net you'll find this happens. If you rented studio space and/or set up lights beforehand, put them to some other creative use.

Sep 10 05 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

The TAG is not a good idea, it can be deleted.

BUT

Take alook at my port, i have the models i shot with and including scheduled models i verified a shoot with. Now if they cancel or have a good reason or reschedule my shoot then that is acceptable i will not put anything negative after thier name.
Now in your situation and a week went by then i would definetly put in bold "No show/ No call" after her name. But only do this if she has sent written confirmation committing to the shoot.

Sound like a good idea? I think it is. The model can delete the TAG but she cant ask me to take it off my port. Now if she wanted to reschedule the shoot and make it worth my time then i would put a "No Show/ Rescheduled for another date".

Sep 10 05 07:33 am Link

Photographer

fafsfsgsadfd

Abbeville, Alabama, US

i think dawn is referring to www.theindustryblacklist.com

Sep 10 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have decided they will be prominently displayed as no-shows on my port. Fortunately, I don't have anyone to list yet. So I guess that is good.

If I ever do have to list anyone as a no-show. I might offer to remove them if they re-book and come to the shoot bearing gifts. I drink Bud.

Sep 10 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

jeff s

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
The TAG is not a good idea, it can be deleted.

BUT

Take alook at my port, i have the models i shot with and including scheduled models i verified a shoot with. Now if they cancel or have a good reason or reschedule my shoot then that is acceptable i will not put anything negative after thier name.
Now in your situation and a week went by then i would definetly put in bold "No show/ No call" after her name. But only do this if she has sent written confirmation committing to the shoot.

Sound like a good idea? I think it is. The model can delete the TAG but she cant ask me to take it off my port. Now if she wanted to reschedule the shoot and make it worth my time then i would put a "No Show/ Rescheduled for another date".

I like this idea, but are the models going to reverse it and list us as "creepy" photographers and that is why they didn't show? 

Just wondering if it could backfire in some way.........

Sep 10 05 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kathleen Larsen wrote:
I recently had a no-show model who I have heard from other photogs that they  no-showed on them too. Not only did she no-showed but this was last week and I still havent heard from her.  In order to name this girl for what she is I put a TAG on her page saying:

"Please do not contact me again for a shoot unless you have a pretty damn good excuse for last week. I do not deal with unprofessional no-show models."

It's a good try to try to bring some well intentioned order and balance in a disorderly and off-balanced Internet people connection medium, but based on that loose description, it's a waste of time and emotion for TFP situations. For a client/paying shoot situation where you are hiring the model for a client, I'd be pissed, but still, would hesitate leaving my emotional comment as a tag on their port. Private message reproaching for not giving common courtesy would be good enough for me.

There's always Head & Shoulders. Does wonders for flakes of dandruff.

Sep 10 05 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

What do u think about pointing out no-show models?

I think way too many people spend way too much time worrying and fretting and bitching and moaning about it.  Unless you're one of the full-time pros (a.k.a, "real photographers," as I was informed on another forum this week) who work only with agency models, it's just part of the business.  Get over it. Spend the time finding the next model you'll shoot instead of whining about the one you didn't.

Sep 10 05 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

John Jebbia wrote:
I have decided they will be prominently displayed as no-shows on my port. Fortunately, I don't have anyone to list yet. So I guess that is good.

If I ever do have to list anyone as a no-show. I might offer to remove them if they re-book and come to the shoot bearing gifts. I drink Bud.

fine idea john, does it matter if i drink black label?

Sep 10 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Kat Squibb

Tim Hammond wrote:

I think way too many people spend way too much time worrying and fretting and bitching and moaning about it.  Unless you're one of the full-time pros (a.k.a, "real photographers," as I was informed on another forum this week) who work only with agency models, it's just part of the business.  Get over it. Spend the time finding the next model you'll shoot instead of whining about the one you didn't.

That's all fine and dandy if there was no money or time invested in the shoot. Fact of the matter is a lot of photographers, myself included have to "hire" a makeup artist, "rent" studio space, and set aside a certain amount of time to shoot, in which that time I could be working to make money. It's not like "oh well she didnt show, i'll just watch some tv" more people than myself invest their time into these models who even check the night before the shoot to make sure they have the directions right and then still dont show like this model. So there I am with a studio space rented, a makeup artist waiting, and no model, so no, I'm sorry but I don't feel like getting over it, especially when two other photogs have said the same about this model within the last month.  Why does this model bother spending her time contacting me if she was a flake?

Sep 10 05 09:05 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

This is why you get referrals...

Sep 10 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think the ideal of leaving a deposit of some sort is
a great ideal.  At least if she/he is a no show you
have your studio and make-up covered.
If a model you haven't worked with balks about
it.  Tell her/him its your policy for new models they
don't want to leave a refubdable if they show deposit.
No shoot.

Sep 10 05 09:51 pm Link

Model

SpaceGoddess

Louisville, Alabama, US

Kathleen Larsen wrote:
So there I am with a studio space rented, a makeup artist waiting, and no model, so no, I'm sorry but I don't feel like getting over it, especially when two other photogs have said the same about this model within the last month.  Why does this model bother spending her time contacting me if she was a flake?

Ummm...  if you had bad references for the model in the first place (particularly more than one in the last month), why did you even bother to hire her?  I understand that it's a bitch...I'd be pissed too if I were a photographer, but still... if someone has a preexisting pattern of being unreliable, you can't expect them to just up and change overnight.

Sep 10 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Kathleen Larsen wrote:

That's all fine and dandy if there was no money or time invested in the shoot. Fact of the matter is a lot of photographers, myself included have to "hire" a makeup artist, "rent" studio space, and set aside a certain amount of time to shoot, in which that time I could be working to make money. It's not like "oh well she didnt show, i'll just watch some tv" more people than myself invest their time into these models who even check the night before the shoot to make sure they have the directions right and then still dont show like this model. So there I am with a studio space rented, a makeup artist waiting, and no model, so no, I'm sorry but I don't feel like getting over it, especially when two other photogs have said the same about this model within the last month.  Why does this model bother spending her time contacting me if she was a flake?

And models wonder why I won't pony up for a MUA or studio for TFP.

I think no show or creepy photographers should be reported to one mod. If the mod get repeated reports they should ban the profile and thin the herd.

Sep 10 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I think the ideal of leaving a deposit of some sort is
a great ideal.  At least if she/he is a no show you
have your studio and make-up covered.
If a model you haven't worked with balks about
it.  Tell her/him its your policy for new models they
don't want to leave a refubdable if they show deposit.
No shoot.

Now you just sound like a Republican wink

You are right to want/demand a deposit on "extra" exspenses like MUAs and studio rentals.

Sep 10 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kat Squibb

SpaceGoddess wrote:

Ummm...  if you had bad references for the model in the first place (particularly more than one in the last month), why did you even bother to hire her?  I understand that it's a bitch...I'd be pissed too if I were a photographer, but still... if someone has a preexisting pattern of being unreliable, you can't expect them to just up and change overnight.

I didn't here anything bad about her until after the no-show when I was bitching to another photog. And, I did check two references of hers. Do you think she would give me a photog reference that wasnt gonna say something good? i know I wouldnt.

Sep 11 05 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I am sorry this happened, but I must ask.......why would you shoot TFP with a new model anyway? It looks like you have a nice portfolio, and certainly shouldn't be at their mercy. Ever since I made the decision to not do that, I have wasted much less time. I have never had a flat out no show, some were considerably late, but some reschedulers same day or the day before which is better than not calling, but still a pain in the ass. I shoot fewer models now, but when I do shoot them, it's quality. If I see a model who is impressive with good references, sure I'll shoot TFP. Other than that, pay up. No one should walk into a business with nothing invested, and expect gimmes from people who do have something invested.

Another thing........how far in advance do you schedule people, and how far in advance did you schedule her? Do you do follow ups, confirmations, if you will? 3 or 4 days before, and the day before for example? No return communication, fill their slot with someone else maybe? Just food for thought I guess.......sorry about the trouble and better luck next time.

Sep 11 05 07:34 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Kathleen Larsen wrote:
That's all fine and dandy if there was no money or time invested in the shoot. Fact of the matter is a lot of photographers, myself included have to "hire" a makeup artist, "rent" studio space, and set aside a certain amount of time to shoot, in which that time I could be working to make money. It's not like "oh well she didnt show, i'll just watch some tv" more people than myself invest their time into these models who even check the night before the shoot to make sure they have the directions right and then still dont show like this model.

Yeah, we all invest money in what we do, photographers and models alike.  There has never been a shoot in which no money or time was invested.  Shit happens.  You're not out any more because of a no-show model than you would be if you had an accident on the way to the location, if you had a death in the family, if a storm hit, or if the studio burned down.  If you're financing the shoot with your own money then you shouldn't invest one penny more than you can afford to risk on the venture.

Kathleen Larsen wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't feel like getting over it

There's the real issue, and that's my point.  A no-show model is frustrating, no question about it, but how miserable you let it make you is your choice.  You can cuss a bit, put an x next to her name in your book and move on to the next model, or you can bitch and moan and complain and look for sympathy until you're sure eveyone knows how insulted you are and tells you how bad they feel for you.

Models are people. Photographers are people. People, in general, are self-centered and undependable.  If you want to conduct affairs with people, you're gonna run into flakes. You can spend the next six weeks whining and scheming about how to blacklist someone about it every time it happens (which seems to be the usual response), or you can spend that time finding three more models who will show up.

This isn't just directed at you.  I'm just so sick of these threads on every forum about how shocked and offended photographers are because a model didn't show up. "Doesn't she realize how much this is costing me? How dare she treat me that way. Doesn't everyone agree I should blacklist her all over the internet?"

No one ever says "hm ... I  invested two grand of my own money in a shoot then lined up a model - whom I've never met and know nothing about - off the internet, to work on TFP terms, and I got burned when she flaked.  I wonder if I gambled more than I should have on an unsure thing." 

You got fouled. If you don't feel like getting over it, then don't. That's your choice. But always remember, it is a choice, and energy spent in that direction is energy that could have been spent on productivity instead.

Sep 11 05 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

The tone of the tag will humble you if it happens that someone in her family died or something unexpected happened. Take it from someone who's had more than their fair share of no-shows (another yesterday). Forget them. Ignore them. They will sink on their own.

I tried to warn about a model here once and got reamed. In reflection, it wasn't the best idea. I understand wanting to prevent others from getting flaked on, tho.

Sep 11 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

So if my dog died do I still have to shoot a TFP that day or will I be outted as a photoguy that didnt shoot the TFP

People have lifes and lifes get in the way of other lifes so live your life and stop telling others to live their life how you see life...  lol  Damn its late

Sep 11 05 11:44 pm Link