Forums > Photography Talk > canon 10d compared to the 20d...?

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

a photographer friend told me he has been hearing from people who previously owned a canon 10, then upgraded to a 20d, were switching BACK to the 10d.  does anyone know why this could be?

if you have shot with both please sare your experience.

Sep 11 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Brian

Yorba Linda, California, US

I can't wait to hear this...I have a 10 d and really like it...

I know some my friends with 20 d's have had a few problems...but, NOTHING that would make them switch back (faster buffer/  higher mgpxl / etc. )

Sep 11 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

Hey Cleveland, not to be a smart ass but who have you been talking to?? Someone with a 10D for sale?,

Sep 11 05 11:07 am Link

Photographer

*2E*

Yorba Linda, California, US

Bruce Muir wrote:
Hey Cleveland, not to be a smart ass but who have you been talking to?? Someone with a 10D for sale?,

LOL!

Sep 11 05 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have shot with a 10D for a year and a half, still have it as a backup.....but when I upgraded I went to a 1D Mark II. The only complaint I have about the 10D was I had some focus issues. The only negative thing I have heard about the 20D were lockup issues, which may have been corrected by now.

Sep 11 05 11:27 am Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

had a canon 10d for 2 years, still working fine, never had any problems. Also have 20d no problems whatsoever, excellent camera, booth seems to be work horses as i do a tremdious amount of exposures on each one.

Sep 11 05 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Bruce Muir wrote:

nah that's not it.  not even close.  i have far too much experience negotiating to fall for that ruse

smile

Sep 11 05 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

For my 10D, I'm at about 90,000 shutter cycles (wish there was a way to really know), this camera is close to 3 yrs old and I'd love to have a 20D over this slow ass machine. I bought mine used in 2004 from a retiering pro shooter. 

For the 20D, startup time is .02 secs and the joy stick is perfect instead of the two button view/scroll.
Time is money...and I'm a speed demon.
The onky thing that bothers me is the faulty battery grip on the 20D, but I think Canon has the fix now.

Sep 11 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

blacquejack wrote:
had a canon 10d for 2 years, still working fine, never had any problems. Also have 20d no problems whatsoever, excellent camera, booth seems to be work horses as i do a tremdious amount of exposures on each one.

That may be because you take really small pictures. wink

Paul

Sep 11 05 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

The battery grip hasn't been fixed yet for the 20d, but every 10frames or so (when ever I verify the image quality/histogram) I give the wheel a quick spin.  One small extra step for greater advancements.

Sep 11 05 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lo J

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I use the 10D at the beach and the 20D on dry land.  I don't have any problems yet.  But a friend who shoots several thousand pics a week broke his 10D shutter.  Thats what he told me. He had the 10D fixed.  Now he uses the 20D and have the 10D as a backup.  I also like to know if the 10D or the 20D have any problems.
The only thing I can think of for someone to switch back to the 10D is the 7 AF points.  I like the cross shape better.

Sep 11 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Maybe he wants to switch to the 5D and selling the 20d to pay for it

Sep 11 05 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Joe Lo wrote:
I use the 10D at the beach and the 20D on dry land.  I don't have any problems yet.  But a friend who shoots several thousand pics a week broke his 10D shutter.  Thats what he told me. He had the 10D fixed.  Now he uses the 20D and have the 10D as a backup.  I also like to know if the 10D or the 20D have any problems.
The only thing I can think of for someone to switch back to the 10D is the 7 AF points.  I like the cross shape better.

You can adjust the points you know..

Sep 11 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

I upgraded from a 10D to a 20D when the 20D came out.  The 10D is now my backup, and if it came to either not shooting or having to go back to the 10D...  I don't know what I'd do.

The 20D is a vast improvement over the 10D in almost any way you can compare them.

Sep 11 05 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

I also had a 10D and traded up to a 20D.

When the 20D was first introduced, it had a problem with locking up when you changed lenses. This pissed off a lot of 20D buyers, naturally. It was a pretty lame error that a company with Canon's resources should have caught in testing, and it gave the impression that they dumped the camera on the market prematurely. They further bungled it by very quickly issuing a firmwear fix that made it WORSE. This all happened in the first few weeks, however. Canon has long since sent out fixes and repaired all the earlier cameras, and the new ones of course come with newer firmwear that doesn't have that problem.

The only other thing I hear that some people don't like about the 20D is that it has a noticeably louder shutter than the 10D.

In all other respects, the 20D is unquestionably better than the 10D. Better autofocus, better low light operation, faster frame rate, bigger buffer, faster wake-up time, higher resolution, joystick button, longer battery life...  None of those upgrades alone are revolutionary. But all the little improvements combine to make the 20D a much nicer camera to use on a day to day basis.

As a heavy user of both cameras, I can not conceive of any reason why anyone would want to trade from a 20D back to a 10D. The suggestion baffles me.

Sep 11 05 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Ross

Naperville, Illinois, US

I used the 10D, and bought a 20D in December.  I've shot about 15,000 pics so far... and its working great.  I really like this camera.  I'd never switch back.

Sep 11 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lo J

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
You can adjust the points you know..

I know. The 10D and 20D focus points are located differently.

Sep 11 05 09:45 pm Link