Forums > Photography Talk > Photographing events

Photographer

Rising Moon Photography

Bowie, Maryland, US

If an establishment puts on an event and allows cameras, does the photographer have the legal right to sell the images?

Sep 11 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

robotbones

Austin, Texas, US

where was it taken?
and for what type of estabishment?
basicly yes, if your not selling it for commercial puropose (i.e. this book club enjoy Dr.pepper)
or if you try to sell it to a anti book club group to be use aganst them, you might find yourself in court.
can you give some more detail, i might be able to help out.
like where was it shot? public or private place.
who do you want to sell it to, press, news. or to anther group, or back to the group.
or is it for black mail, (kidding)

Sep 11 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

it depends on what the rules of the event are.

Sep 11 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

John Korb

Fairfax, Virginia, US

This is another "talk to your attorney and find out the laws, practices, and standards in your area are, then talk to the event organizers/PR people" question.

I live and work in the Washington DC area where there are THREE different sets of primary rules - DC, MD, and VA, and then there are the rules for the local jurisdictions (city/county level), so I'm aware that WHERE is a big variable when it comes to what you can and cannot do, and what documents are required.

My experience has been that "events" that allow cameras usually have some language somewhere that says something to the effect that you CANNOT sell, license or PUBLISH any pictures taken, that any pictures you take are for your own personal use, and that any and all commercial use is "strictly prohibited."

At one event I asked for permission and was given a property release for a minimal fee ($10) upon providing "proof of insurance" of a certain amount, but was told by the event PR person that I needed to get model releases from EACH and EVERY performer who appeared in a picture I wanted to publish, sell, etc.  Good luck getting those!  I don't know how typical my experience is.

Sep 11 05 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rising Moon Photography

Bowie, Maryland, US

More details: I attended a swimsuit competition at Hooters a few months ago and shot a number of images.  Once I edited the images, I returned and showed the girls what I shot(may have been there once or twice before).  I showed the pics to a "regular" there and he asked he could get a copy of the cd.  I told him that I would sell it to him for $20 and he said that's fine.  I only charged $20 because of the time I spent on preparing the Power Point presentation.  Just for the record, I compensated the girls in the contest by printing images they liked and/or gave them a cd of their images.

Since the contest, I've done photo shoots with a couple of the contestants because they liked my work.  Well, I just found out yesterday that the person that I sold the cd to has told people that I sell the images from the personal photo shoots I've done but that is simply a lie.  We all know the trouble that would follow if I did that, especially without permission.

Sep 12 05 05:06 am Link

Photographer

robotbones

Austin, Texas, US

wow, this is a good qestion.
i'm going to say that this fall into model release issue.
true you took the photos and basicly they belong to you, but, what are the buyers going to do with them?
i'm sure the models would like to know.
i'll say no, to jest out right selling them.
thought about talking to the manager on maybe selling a photo package, calalender, programs that would promote you, hooters, and the girls.
that way everybuddy happy, and it can become a steady check for you.
hope this help,
LEE

Sep 12 05 07:03 am Link