Forums > Photography Talk > Good but cheap strobe kits?

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Hey all,

I'm a hot light user and I want to get a set of strobes to start experimenting with.

I saw this on eBay and was wondering if they were any good or not:
http://tinyurl.com/auetj

This is not my ebay auction - so please don't think I'm spamming or anything - LOL!

It's just that I'm on a tight budget, but would want to get into strobe lighting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 12 05 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I know a lot of photographers that are using Alien Bees strobes:

http://www.alienbees.com/

Good units, great price and very well put together.  I've tried them and have loved it...

Sep 12 05 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Thanks Jeff,

I checked them out and they're still way out of my budget - lol!
The 2 strobe kit I saw on eBay is only $154 including shipping.

Sep 12 05 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Bill Tracy wrote:
I checked them out and they're still way out of my budget - lol!

I feel your pain... big_smile

Sep 12 05 08:49 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Hmmmm, I have said this before, but I will comment again.

Alien Bee makes an extremely good low budget light.  A lot of my clients use them and have had great success.  I personally use Photogenics, but they are more than twice the price.

However, I realize that a lot of people are on a budget.  I have made this suggestion before, if you can't afford Alien Bees, take a look at the JTL-160.  I know, I know, I know, it is not a high end light, so people don't beat me up.  This post is about finding a decent light for less than Alien Bees.

I have used them in a pinch.  I find them to be more durable than Briteks.  I own a couple and they are small enough to throw in a suitcase to take with me on trips if I don't want to bring a lighting package.

Here is what I like about them.  They have infinitely variable power.  They have an audible signal when they recharge.  The modeling light can be turned on or off.  They come with a good warranty and JTL is imported through the L.A. area so replacements are easy to get.  The lights are reasonably consistent in power output so long as you wait for the audible signal before shooting.

What I don't like is that the the modeling light is full power only (but the bulb is cheap to replace) and it is extremely difficult to replace.

What I like most is that you routinely see them new for $99 each and never more than $149

If you need something that will let you get your feet wet in studio lighting but won't put you in the poor house, this is my reccomendation if you can't afford the Alien Bees (which I think are great lights).

Don't forget you will still need some kind of light stands and umbrellas or diffusers.  You should be able to put an entire two light package together for about $300.

Sep 12 05 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Did you take a look at the set that I posted a link to??
The whole thing, 2 lights, 2 stands, 2 umbrellas with shipping is $154

https://www.datazap.net/sites/photo1818s/stroblights.jpg

Sep 12 05 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It sounds like you've already decided so why ask? wink  The "strobes" you pointed us to are no more than glorified flashes, probably less.  Real strobes have adjustable modeling lights, infinitely adjustable power levels, can take different reflectors, etc. etc.  If this is all you can afford, skip it until you can buy one or two real ones.  You won't learn anything from shooting with these.  Use your hot lights.

Paul

Sep 12 05 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

I agree with Paul.

Besides, in the world of photography equpt, you get what you pay for. You pay cheap prices, you get cheap cans. Inside of a year, you'll be investing another 200.00 into getting "real" lights, when you can just continue to save.

Sep 12 05 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Thanks guys - I wanted someone to look at those lights and let me kow if they were a good idea or not - I guess they're not - lol!

I spent over $1,000 on my two hot lights (PhotoFlex/Starlights) so I know this stuff can be expensive, and you usually get what you pay for.  It's just at the moment I'm in a bind - so I guess I'll just keep saving!

Thanks,

Bill

Sep 12 05 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

I understand your situation, when I got my first kit, I got a "deal" I got four britek strobe lights and about three months after learing how to use them, I had out grew them.

Hindsight is 20/20 but if I had the chance to do  it all over again, I'd taken that 600.00 and gotten either one WL or two ab's

Sep 12 05 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'd have to say Alien Bees and Photogenics are the best at a reasonable price.  White Lightnings (Alien Bee Parent) are great, but their prices can get up there fairly quick. I have a friend who's used White Lightning for almost ten years.  Every other year or so, he ships his units back to them for "maintanence." They clean them, replace fuses, stand connectors and such for around $40 bucks. Can you imagine using the same lights without incident for ten years!

BTW, I have a strobe set for sale if you're interested. They're in the MM Market:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=8435

Good luck!

Sep 12 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

I have a great hotlight kit and a really cheap strobe kit. $154... Go for it! Even if you just learn to control them and move on when you can afford it. All of the hoops I have to jump through to control the light that isn't adjustable has made me a much better lighting technician.

I use a very cheap novatron system. It has gone through every kind of hell, including falling out the back of my truck on the freeway. Still works like a freaking dream!

Hotlights have a lot of drawbacks. I only use them for fill light or warmth these days.

Sep 12 05 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Although I have a Speedotron light set.
I bought one of those inexpensive light sets
off Ebay.  It came with two light boxes(small)
three lights that are kinda adjustable three
stands, etc.  They work fine.
I've used them with np problem.
When you have more money invest in
a nicer system and use them as fill or
background lights.

Sep 12 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
They work fine.  I've used them with np problem.

Maybe you can show us a pic or two that you took with them?  It looks like you shoot with existing light exclusively.

Paul

Sep 12 05 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I have six Photogenic monolights.  They aren't cheap, but a couple are about five years old and none of them have given me any trouble.  4 are the 500 WS types, one is 1000 WS and one is the AC/DC type.  I also have a set of Profoto Acute lights and a ring light.

For a beginner, I would suggest a monolight style, not a pack style.

My photogenics have the digital read out and are variable in very small steps.

Accessories for Photogenics are quite reasonable.....go look at accessories for Pro Foto gear and you will see what I mean.

I started with one light and added some accesories and have slowly moved up.

Photogenic has a whole line of grids, snoots, pans, etc that are quite reasonable.

I don't have alien bees, but have friends that do, and they are quite happy with them.

Mark

Sep 12 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I have five of them, three bought off eBay.  I wouldn't call their accessories cheap though.  For example, they want $150 or so for a grid set and their reflectors are pretty expensive also.  Maybe not in the range of Profoto but pricey to me.

Paul

Sep 12 05 02:45 pm Link