Forums > Photography Talk > Octagonal Boxes/Umbrellas

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

There are all sorts of Octagon-shaped light controllers in the market nowadays.  Anybody here using one or seen one in use? I'm just a bit curious as to what add benefits these products have over your average umbrella, soft box, diffuser, etc?

Sep 12 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

They're shaped more like an umbrella than a softbox so the spill will be similar, which is to say not all that great.  I thought about the medium Octodome in the past but didn't buy one for this reason.  I think a traditional SB works better for most applications.

Paul

Sep 12 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

I use an umbrella that has a regflector behind it. It acts very much like a softbox. Except for the spill it creates by not having a flat face. You will not get the same smooth light as a softbox. BUT, it does a wonderful job of softening shadows. I actually like how it works.

Ideally, a flat softbox is probably what you are looking for. On a budget, and looking for soft light. The umbrella type works pretty damn good. I definitely get more light than with just an umbrella. And it is noticeably softer. Other methods of diffusion are a bit of a pain in the ass to set up and control. I am very happy with my little fakey softbox.

Hope it helps.

Sep 12 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

John Korb

Fairfax, Virginia, US

If you can, get a softbox.  I've used mine more and more with time, and there are times when I wish I had two.

I've never used my softbox outside, but over the weekend I drove past what appeared to be post-wedding photography where the photographer was using two softboxes to provide fill.  An interesting idea that I may have to experiment with.

Sep 12 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I have a 3 foot octobox, a 5 foot octobox and a 7 footer.

The 7 footer produces a beautifull soft wraparound light, but is a giant pain in the ass to use as it's huge.  If you put it on a light, and the light on a stand, you need about a 10 foot ceiling minimum for clearance as idealy, you want it up off the floor a bit.  I can set it up and take it down myself, but it's better with 2 people.

The five footer is one of my favorites.  It does not have a lip on it, so you can't control the spill as much as say a 3x4 softbox that has a lip around it.  Depending upon usage, you may or may not want to feather it.  If you want to feather the edge, then a 3x4 box is better as it is a bit more directional.

The three footer really is no much different than say a big umbrella.  I have the kind that sets up like an umbrella, so it's very easy to use, but not significantly different in light than other smaller boxes.

I have both the 3x4 box and the 5 foot octobox, and would say the biggest difference is the "edge" or how the light falls off at the edge.  So if you want soft light with a bit of edge control, then the 3x4 is better.  The 5 ft octobox is a bit softer and more wraparound.  So neither one is "better" and both have their advantages.  It really depends on what look you are going for. 

I would have a hard time choosing one over the other if I could only have one, so I have both (Photogenic is my brand).

I also have a 7 foot Westcott Umbrella which is neat but kind of a monster as well.

Mark

Sep 12 05 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hey Gunfitr,

Any of your port pics done with an octobox? Just curious...

Sep 12 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

None of the four I have posted are.

I just joined and need to get some more up.

Give me a day or two, and I will load some examples and report back.

From left to right, the black and white image was a single shoot through umbrella, with a back light below a loft just throwing some light around.

The Corona image is a 24 inch pan reflector with some Rosco Diffusion on it and some gridded rim lights.

The Fire/feather bikinni Image is 2 shoot through umbrellas, and the headshot of Brit was the big pan reflector with diffusion material, and some gridded rim lights.

When I picked out and posted the images I put up when I joined, there was no particular rhyme or reason for which one I picked.

I have been partial to a big pan reflector (Beauty dish) in the last year or so, but that's just a phase......I have plenty with both a softbox and and an octobox.

Mark

Sep 12 05 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

I loaded 2 today both of which were taken with the 5 footer.

The photo of Andrea was taken with just the box....nothing else.

The photo of Alecia was taken with just the five footer for the main, and a fill light down below throwing some fill around.

Mark
https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050912/3/4325eec54e78e.jpg

Sep 12 05 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

How do I link a photo to a forum post [sorry a newbie question]

Mark

Got it, I think.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050912/3/4325ee947cdb7.jpg

Sep 12 05 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Gunfitr wrote:
How do I link a photo to a forum post [sorry a newbie question]

Mark

[img]--where your image is located[/img]

Sep 12 05 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

They look great.  The lighting is a little flat for my taste but I doubt many people would object.

I have a beauty dish.  I don't drag it out as often as I'd like.  You really need good makeup to make the best use of it.  My avatar was taken with it and a kick-up reflector.

Paul

Sep 12 05 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey Tyler (SpamforTheSoul) - , haven't we got enough google ads already?

John

Sep 12 05 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

Jerrold wrote:
There are all sorts of Octagon-shaped light controllers in the market nowadays.  Anybody here using one or seen one in use? I'm just a bit curious as to what add benefits these products have over your average umbrella, soft box, diffuser, etc?

I use an Octagon box often.. they produce a large sorce of evean light that can wrap around the model. i have lit backdrops with just one. i dont really see much diffrence from a really large softbox except for the highlights/catchlights in eyes.

Sep 12 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Most every image on my port was lit with a large octobox.  I like that light wraps around so much you can sometimes get away without a fill light.  I only had two lights up until the more recent in studio work so most of the backlit or hairlit pics in my port were used with the lg octobox diffusing the key light and no fill.

-Jose

Sep 13 05 07:57 am Link

Photographer

brett ferguson

Sacramento, California, US

I often use an Elinchrom 7' Octo (umbrella) and I love it! I use a white foam core reflector to fill the "dark" side and it works great. I leave it up all the time so don't have to hassle with it. I like the crystalline wrap-around quality of the light that seems to enhance color saturation a bit. With the diffuser on the umbrella, I lose about 1.5 stops, but the light is softer and slightly warmer. Many of the pix on my port were shot with the 7' Elinchrom umbrella- mostly without the diffuser.

Sep 13 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

Jerrold,

All of the images on my MM port (with the exception of Kortney, Leilene (beach), La Perla and Purple Shae), were shot with either the 5' or 7' PhotoFlex Octodome.

For me, it gives the softest, most wonderful light.  I use it in the studio and on location.  They both breakdown and reassemble smoothly with one person.  I use the 7' Octodome in an area with 8.5 ft ceilings.

Highly recommended.

Best regards,
John

Sep 13 05 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Great stuff, John! The use of background on the "Katy" shot was wonderful! Is is safe to assume you didn't use the Octodome on the "green apple" shot as well? If you DID, how'd you control the radius of the light so well?? Looks like a snoot was used...

Sep 13 05 10:28 pm Link