Forums > Photography Talk > Anyone bought a Refurbed DSLR?

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Has anyone bought a Refurbed DSLR? I'm intersted in details. Which one? From what dealer? How much less was it than a new unit? What warranty did it come with?  How has it performed?

Sep 13 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I bought an Olympus E-10 that was refurbished from some dealer back east.  I really don't remember who.

The camera was about $400 less than street price for new ones at the time.  It came with a 90 day warranty, but I bought a Mack warranty as well.

The camera failed twice while I owned it.  The first time was when the camera was about 5 months old.  I called Olympus tech support to ask about the problem and told me it had to go into be fixed.  I called hte local repair station and they said they would fix it under warranty even though it was not technically within.

The next time it failed was when it had about 220,000 images on it.  The shutter locked up.  Mack took care of that.

I have no problems with factory refurbished equipment, although I am a little bit skeptical about 3rd party refurbs unless it has been factory authorized.

I also have no problem with the camera failing at 220,000 images.  It didn't owe me anything.  I gave it to a friend as a gift.  I still shoot with an Olympus as my second camera.

Sep 13 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I bought a refurbished Canon 1D a few years back from Samy's Camera in LA. I paid $2500 for a camera that at that time cost $4300 new. The camera has performed flawlessly.

I actually found the original owner's name in the camera settings and after doing a Google search, contacted him. He told me why he had returned it. I forgot why, but I did check whether that problem was fixed on my camera and it was.

Sep 13 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Andy Meng

Tampa, Florida, US

JvR wrote:
I bought a refurbished Canon 1D a few years back from Samy's Camera in LA. I paid $2500 for a camera that at that time cost $4300 new. The camera has performed flawlessly.

I actually found the original owner's name in the camera settings and after doing a Google search, contacted him. He told me why he had returned it. I forgot why, but I did check whether that problem was fixed on my camera and it was.

Same exact story here, bought 1D from Samy's for 2500 when it was 4300 elsewhere.  Performed flawlessly.  I didn't contact the previous owner.  However, it's for sale if you're interested.  smile  It's been replaced by a 1D Mark II.

Andy

Sep 13 05 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Meng

Tampa, Florida, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
Has anyone bought a Refurbed DSLR? I'm intersted in details. Which one? From what dealer? How much less was it than a new unit? What warranty did it come with?  How has it performed?

forgot to mention warranty.  60 days if I recall.  That's one of the risks of saving so much.

Also, the refurbished cameras, at least in high end cameras, are probably going to have been owned by pro shooters, and heavily used.  Mine appeared to have had the shutter replaced.

Sep 13 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I bought my Canon EOS 1D Mark II refurbished back in March.....it still has a one year warranty and I have had no problems or complaints at all! 7000 frames later and kicking ass! I bought it for $3300.00 off Ebay through Cameta Camera and Auctions, they are reputable sellers! I saved a grand or so and it's still a new cam by all rights.........was used prior as a Canon demo. Never owned by a consumer. Packed with all accessories, looks like a virgin :-)

Sep 13 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

wow - I've never even heard of refurbished dslr's...   that's awesome..  maybe the way I can switch to canon...    (c'mon pentax! upgrade the *istD!!)

: )

Julia

Sep 14 05 09:21 am Link