Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Executive Order

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Ok, this is a question I'd love an answer to.  This question is not to place blame on the president.  I'm not asking this question to stir up a debate about the presidents actions.  If you know the answer to this question, let me know and, if possible, supply a source that can be verified:

Absent of the request of the governors of Louisiana and Mississippi, could the president have given an executive order and legally gone into either of those states with FEMA and troops without permission?

Sep 13 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
Ok, this is a question I'd love an answer to.  This question is not to place blame on the president.  I'm not asking this question to stir up a debate about the presidents actions.  If you know the answer to this question, let me know and, if possible, supply a source that can be verified:

Absent of the request of the governors of Louisiana and Mississippi, could the president have given an executive order and legally gone into either of those states with FEMA and troops without permission?

As long as it was not a constitutional over reach.  That question/answer I can't even begin to explain.

Sep 13 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I got into a debate with a colleague of mine.  I claim that with Executive Order the president could have entered into either state without permission.  She claims there's a law forbidding just that.  I just need to know who's right...

Sep 13 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
I got into a debate with a colleague of mine.  I claim that with Executive Order the president could have entered into either state without permission.  She claims there's a law forbidding just that.  I just need to know who's right...

I'm not sure.  I know the political fall-out though...  No matter what he does he will be assigned a measure of blame and praise.  Usually deserving varying degrees of each.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sep 13 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I'm not sure what the legal term was, but I have read that the White House discussed overruling the governor. They concluded that it wasn't a smart thing to do. It would have meant overruling a governor from the opposition party in a Southern state.

I can see their point.

I don't so much think the legalities were handled wrong. What I think was missing at all levels was the urgency to help out the victims. So much seems to have been tied up - and is sometimes still tied up - with procedures and red tape.

I can't even count anymore the stories I've read about aid workers and supplies being ready to move, whether it was from the neighboring state or halfway across the world, while FEMA was telling them to hold off or turn back.

Sep 13 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

BlackStar Photo

Gilbert, Arizona, US

Not sure about FEMA.  But use of the Military for law enforcement is not legal, for support or just to provide assistance to the people is another issue.

See US Code:
Section 1385. Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus

Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly
    authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses
    any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or
    otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or
    imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Sep 13 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

You may be thinking of "Posse Comitatus" which prohibits the federal government from using the US military in many domestic situations - one of the reasons the National Guard is called (they're state based - as in the Texas National Guard).

Generally, in a crisis like "Katrina", the National Guard would be called on to provide law enforcement (much like they were intended to do at Kent State in the 1960s) as well as other functions. This law enforcement function would be an illegal domestic use of the US Army or Marines based on the "Posse Comitatus" law of 1876.

20 Stat. L., 145

June 18, 1878

CHAP. 263 - An act making appropriations for the support of the Army for the fiscal year ending June thirtieth, eighteen hundred and seventy-nine, and for other purposes.

SEC. 15. From and after the passage of this act it shall not be lawful to employ any part of the Army of the United States, as a posse comitatus, or otherwise, for the purpose of executing the laws, except in such cases and under such circumstances as such employment of said force may be expressly authorized by the Constitution or by act of Congress; and no money appropriated by this act shall be used to pay any of the expenses incurred in the employment of any troops in violation of this section And any person willfully violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction thereof shall be punished by fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or imprisonment not exceeding two years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

As an aside, when "Andrew" hit Florida, Bush Sr. refused to send help based on a phone request from the governor of Florida .... insisting that the request for aid be in writing. Not sure what that was about bt I found it interesting.

Sep 13 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

BlackStarPhoto wrote:
Not sure about FEMA.  But use of the Military for law enforcement is not legal, for support or just to provide assistance to the people is another issue.

See US Code:

First, thank you for this post with documentation, but here's my question:

"...except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress..."

I'm almost positive that the president, using his power of Executive Order, can bypass the Congress here.  I read this on a website (can't remember the URL):

"Presidents have used the Executive Order in times of emergencies to override the Constitution of the United States and the Congress. "

I'm still confused...

Sep 13 05 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
...except in such cases and under such circumstances as such employment of said force may be expressly authorized by the Constitution or by act of Congress;

But isn't an Executive Order by the president carry the same weight (if not more) as an act of Congress?

Sep 13 05 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I want to give you the information sooooo bad....  But as an American you need to actually read a copy of the Constitution for yourself and go from there...  Good luck in your quest....

Sep 13 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
Generally, in a crisis like "Katrina", the National Guard would be called on to provide law enforcement (much like they were intended to do at Kent State in the 1960s) as well as other functions. This law enforcement function would be an illegal domestic use of the US Army or Marines based on the "Posse Comitatus" law of 1876.

Ok, let's forget the use of the Army or Marines.  Could President Bush called up the National Guard from other states and/or FEMA and gone into Louisiana and Mississippi without the permission of the governors of those states, simply by envoking an Executive Order?

Sep 13 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
I want to give you the information sooooo bad....  But as an American you need to actually read a copy of the Constitution for yourself and go from there...  Good luck in your quest....

I've read the references to executive power in the constitution, and while it's clear that the president can override congress (at least in the short term), the question still stands - Can his Executive Order overstep the authority provided by the governor of any given state?  And the question isn't "Should he have?"  The question is "Could he have?"

Sep 13 05 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
But isn't an Executive Order by the president carry the same weight (if not more) as an act of Congress?

It would appear so sometimes ... but if that were the case the first living ego to hit the office would turn this into a dictatorship in about two and a half seconds. By executive order he could disolve Congress, proclaim martial law (remember, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces?) and go on to do what ever he damn well wanted to do. Fortunately, we have a division of labor in government wherein

The legislature is responsible for making laws
The exceutive branch is responsible for enforcing laws enacted by the legislature
and the jusdiciary is responsible for interpreting them when there's a question

We get into trouble when one or another of the branches forgets where it's area of responsibility leaves off and another branch's begins.

According to Wikipedia:

Presidents of the United States have issued executive orders since 1789. There is no United States Constitution provision or statute that explicitly permits this, aside from the vague grant of "executive power" given in Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution and the statement "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed" in Article II, Section 3.

Executive orders do not have legal force by themselves. Most are simply orders issued by the President to United States to executive officers to help direct their operation, the result of failing to comply being removal from office. Some orders do have the force of law when made in pursuance of certain Acts of Congress due to those acts giving the President discretionary powers.

Sep 13 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
I've read the references to executive power in the constitution, and while it's clear that the president can override congress (at least in the short term), the question still stands - Can his Executive Order overstep the authority provided by the governor of any given state?  And the question isn't "Should he have?"  The question is "Could he have?"

To answer your question again - Yes...  Actaully that's one of the first things you learned back in college - political science 100...  But as a freshman - I was too busy studiynig other things than politics..  wink...Should he have?  That's a whole other ball of wax....

Sep 13 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Pay particular attention to three 3 branches of US govoernment and how they work...  The president can issue orders when he has the power to do so....

Sep 13 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Again, according to Wikipedia:

National Guard units can be mobilized at any time by presidential order to supplement regular armed forces, and upon declaration of a state of emergency by the governor of the state in which they serve. Unlike Army Reserve members, National Guard members cannot be mobilized individually (except through voluntary transfers), but only as part of their respective units.

I think that goes quite a way toward answering your question.

Sep 13 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
To answer your question again - Yes...  A

Actually, based on my read, the answer is "no".

Sep 13 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Thanks you all.  Exactly what I wanted to know...

Sep 13 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Joe Kozlowski wrote:

Actually, based on my read, the answer is "no".

Like I always say... Don't take my word for it...  I'm pretty sure where you live there's a college..  And there are lawyers....   I got my information form lawyers and Professors...  But the law is open to interpretation....  Just pick up a phone - or better yet cruise to a college or university...  I assure you - an hour of your time will be worth it....

Sep 13 05 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

Ok, let's forget the use of the Army or Marines.  Could President Bush called up the National Guard from other states and/or FEMA and gone into Louisiana and Mississippi without the permission of the governors of those states, simply by envoking an Executive Order?

Yes, however it would take the Vice President and 4 members of congress to back the "Executive Order" before it could be executed.

Unless the area is considered to be a sovereign nation.

Then an Executive Order needs the approval of the Senate and Congress and there must be an "imminent threat to the U.S." to do so.

Remember Waco?

Sep 13 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

Yes, they can as per the Insurrection Act which hasn't been invoked since the Civil Rights era & the earliest before that was the Civil War.

Sep 13 05 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Like I always say... Don't take my word for it...  I'm pretty sure where you live there's a college..  And there are lawyers....   I got my information form lawyers and Professors...  But the law is open to interpretation....  Just pick up a phone - or better yet cruise to a college or university...  I assure you - an hour of your time will be worth it....

A "yes" answer would seriously undermine States Rights, don't ya think. If an Executive Order can abbrogate the rights of the governor of a state, then there's little left of that idea.

Sep 13 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Again, from Wikipedia:

The Insurrection Act is the set of laws that govern the US President's ability to deploy troops within the United States to put down lawlessness, insurrection and rebellion. The laws are chiefly contained in 10USC331-335. The general tone is to limit Presidential power as much as possible relying on state and local governments for initial response in the event of insurrection. Coupled with the Posse Comitatus Act Presidential powers for law enforcement are limited and delayed.

Sep 13 05 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
A "yes" answer would seriously undermine States Rights, don't ya think. If an Executive Order can abbrogate the rights of the governor of a state, then there's little left of that idea.

That's exactly my point. 

Hypothetical situation: Manhattan is hit with by a cat 5 hurricane and it's flooding (just go with me here).  Unless action is taken immediately, the entire island will be destroyed.  The governor of New York tells the federal government that he does not want any outside forces brought in to control the situation, even though the governor is sitting on his hands, letting the island be devistated.  Are you telling me that the president has absolutely no recourse?

Sep 13 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

The US Code (10USC331-335) reads:

§ 331. Federal aid for State governments

Whenever there is an insurrections in any State against its government, the President may, upon the request of its legislature or of its governor if the legislature cannot be convened, call into Federal service such of the militia of the other States, in the number requested by that State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to suppress the insurrection.

The relevant part to this discussion being "upon the request of its legislature or of its governor if the legislature cannot be convened" ...

Sep 13 05 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
"A "yes" answer would seriously undermine States Rights, don't ya think."

I didn't write the book - I just turn the pages....It would be nice though if what we thought actually mattered in terms of national government...

Sep 13 05 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

That's exactly my point. 

Hypothetical situation: Manhattan is hit with by a cat 5 hurricane and it's flooding (just go with me here).  Unless action is taken immediately, the entire island will be destroyed.  The governor of New York tells the federal government that he does not want any outside forces brought in to control the situation, even though the governor is sitting on his hands, letting the island be devistated.  Are you telling me that the president has absolutely no recourse?

I'm not telling you he doesn't have the power  ... only that the president doesn't have the powers under Posse Comitatus and the Insurrection Act. I'm researching this as I go and posting what I find because I'm as curious on this point as anyone here ... so far, I've seen nothing that allows the president to mobilize either the US Army, Marines or National Guard without an invitation from the effected state.

Personally, I would love holding Bush responsible for not mobilizing on that particular front, but it appears not to be in the cards ... or the legislation brought up in this forum.

Perhaps there is some other piece of legislation that provides for the powers in question .. but so far, nada.

Sep 13 05 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
I'm not telling you he doesn't have the power  ... only that the president doesn't have the powers under Posse Comitatus and the Insurrection Act. I'm researching this as I go and posting what I find because I'm as curious on this point as anyone here ... so far, I've seen nothing that allows the president to mobilize either the US Army, Marines or National Guard without an invitation from the effected state.

Please don't get the impression that I'm jumping on you.  I assure you that's not the case.  I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this... smile

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
Personally, I would love holding Bush responsible for not mobilizing on that particular front, but it appears not to be in the cards ... or the legislation brought up in this forum.

I know it'll be hard for anyone to believe, but placing blame was never the intention of this post.  I'm just trying to determine the legal options at the presidents disposal.

Sep 13 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

No offense taken ... and as far as assessing blame is concerned, I ascribed that motivation to no one but myself.

Sep 13 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
Again, according to Wikipedia:

Since anybody can add to Wikipedia's so-called encyclopedia, it's about as trustworthy as there forums.

Sep 13 05 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

JvR wrote:

Since anybody can add to Wikipedia's so-called encyclopedia, it's about as trustworthy as there forums.

You really should read up on it before you speak out on it. Discover Magazine did a fairly lengthy piece on Wikipedia with a fairly lengthy outline of why, with cross checks, multiple edits and editors as well as rules that would delete most of these forum posts, Wikipedia has become one of the more accurate and up to date reference resources available.

Perhaps you might go through the quotes I posted and demonstrate where they're incorrect, less than factual or just plain biased. I'd be interested to see you back up your assertion that the resource is unreliable with actual citations.

By the way ... as an experiment ... I challenge you to sign on with Wikipedia and TRY to sabotage on article with some extremist venom. Lets see how far you get with it.

Be careful about looking down your nose ... it looks quite silly on most people. Particularly when there's no substance behind their arrogance.

Sep 13 05 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Ok.
To try to answer your question...
With an Executive Order, The president could have ordered another states National guard to enter NOLA, "Under the jurisdiction of the governor"

However, the President did have a legal way to send in whatever help he wanted to immediately.
When congress voted to form the Department of Homeland Security, it gave them a bunch of powers to react to a bunch of events.
FEMA is now under them, and they already had a congreesional mandate to run FEMA.
Technically speaking Homeland Security could have sent them into NOLA, but as someone else mentioned, the political fall out would have been pretty severe.

But, Back to your Original Question,
Yes he could have used an Executive Order to put troops and FEMA and whatever else he wanted into New Orleans.
An Executive Order is considered Law with the same weight that a Law passed by Congress has.
Furthermore, It would have stood until Congress passed a law forbidding it (requires 2/3 majority since the President would Veto such a law and they would have to override the Veto) Or until a court Strikes it down, Such as the Supreme Court did to Truman's EO after WWII that seized control of the Steel Mills.

In general though, The Court tends not to overturn EOs.

Now, you asked for references.
The President's source of authority to issue Executive Orders can be found in the Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution which grants to the President the "executive Power." Section 3 of Article II further directs the President to "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed."

NSD's ("National Security Directives" which is what this would fall under more than likely) are the same as Executive orders, but deal with National Security issues.

Sep 14 05 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Very well said and explained, Ty.  Thank you...

Sep 14 05 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Glad I could help.

Sep 14 05 07:03 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Joe Kozlowski wrote:

You really should read up on it before you speak out on it. Discover Magazine did a fairly lengthy piece on Wikipedia with a fairly lengthy outline of why, with cross checks, multiple edits and editors as well as rules that would delete most of these forum posts, Wikipedia has become one of the more accurate and up to date reference resources available.

Perhaps you might go through the quotes I posted and demonstrate where they're incorrect, less than factual or just plain biased. I'd be interested to see you back up your assertion that the resource is unreliable with actual citations.

By the way ... as an experiment ... I challenge you to sign on with Wikipedia and TRY to sabotage on article with some extremist venom. Lets see how far you get with it.

Be careful about looking down your nose ... it looks quite silly on most people. Particularly when there's no substance behind their arrogance.

I didn't say what you quoted was incorrect. I just questioned the source in general, as I've done before when people quoted Wikipedia on these forums.

I'm also not an extremist in any sense of the word, as you could have known if you read any of my previous posts.

I have no desire to sabotage an article on Wikipedia and will maintain that the idea of an encyclopedia that everybody can contribute to is bound to invite mistakes and controversy that might very well be edited out but will still pop up at times. It's like opening up a medical guide book for everyone to edit and contribute to.

Sep 14 05 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Joe,
Some example of how the Wikipedia thing is wrong.
The Supreme court has determined that the wording of the Constitution does permit an executive order, and that they do carry the full weight of Law (see the Truman desicion I believe)
Second, Most executive Orders are used to Clarify existing laws, and give direction on Executing the Law. A few have been made that determine law, but those usually fall into the Executive powers anyway.

Here is how the government works.

Legislative Branch Creates Legislation (laws)
Judicial Branch Adjudicates the Laws (determines what they mean and if they are constitutional)
Executive branch Executes the Law (enforcement by Police etc...)

When Congress makes a Law, and it has a vagueness to it, The President with "Executive Powers" can clarify that law.
For Example, At present there is a law on the books (Federal) that says the CIA can execute mission to promote the National security policy of the United states (I am not positive of the exact wording, but basically it was the part of the order that allowed the Bay of Pigs invasion)
Originally, It was determined that the CIA had carte blanche in the execution, including the Assassination of a Foreign Leader.
Nixon wrote an Executive Order which prohibited Assassinations of foreign leaders, which was a clarification of the original law.

The other side of the coin is Executive powers.
If we take the NOLA example, the President could rightfully claim that Law and Order of a State or Town, that is NOT being controlled by local law enforcement then falls under federal jurisdiction (this is the Case used when the FBI probes Police officers for corruption etc...) and therefore as Chief Executive, he can issue an EO saying that the Executive Branch may send in non-regular troops (National Guard Units) to NOLA.
He used to be able to send Troops anywhere at any time without Congressional approval as well (he is commander in chief) Congress got peeved at this because it was the same as War in most cases, and Only congress has the right to Declare war. Therefore they initiated the War Powers Act.
In order to help bypass the War Powers Act, and Executive Order was issued that allowed Peace Keepers to be sent anywhere without permission from congress because they were not acting in the Interest of the United States, but in the Interest of the U.N.

I know that some of what I wrote above was basics that everyone knows, or should know, as citizens of the US. but not everyone on these forums are US citizens, hence the more detailed beginning.

In General, A president with an Ego can Make Executive Orders like you say, However, The Courts would strike them down instantly, and the president would be impeached the next day, found guilty and removed.

As far as putting Regular Soldiers in to states without permission.
Technically it is prohibited under law, as regular troops are not allowed to act as a policing force internally. However, Rescue efforts and control are not normally considered as such, and therefore using the regular Army to supplement a town's militia and/or police force can be done for a short duration, such as NOLA.

Regular Military was used after 9/11 to secure bridges and tunnels in NYC.
Regular Military was used several times in Past disasters to protet shipments of food and water, to aid in the stopping of looting, and to assist in rescue Efforts.

NOW, here is another thing of Interest.
The LA National Guard, without a direct order from the President, could not be dispatched to help New Orleans.

I will give a bonus Cookie if anyone here can explain why.

Sep 14 05 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

JvR wrote:

I didn't say what you quoted was incorrect. I just questioned the source in general, as I've done before when people quoted Wikipedia on these forums.

I'm also not an extremist in any sense of the word, as you could have known if you read any of my previous posts.

I have no desire to sabotage an article on Wikipedia and will maintain that the idea of an encyclopedia that everybody can contribute to is bound to invite mistakes and controversy that might very well be edited out but will still pop up at times. It's like opening up a medical guide book for everyone to edit and contribute to.

I grant you didn't SAY what I quoted was incorrect ... but you sure left that impression to anyone reading this thread.

In the meantime, I'm sure you're an absolutely wonderful person and I find most of your writing to be generally intelligent ... however, I also sincerely believe that to blanket question a resource without being able to demonstrate in what manner it is incorrect is counter productive and probably irresponsible. By suggesting my resource was less than factual you cast me in a negative light ... and I'm prefectly capable od doing that all by myself without any help.

The quotes I used were not based on opinion ... they were quotes from legislation passed by Congress, that is to say, factual. In other instances I've quoted the definitions of words ... which are generally not very much the subject of opinion, either. The only thing all the quotes had in common besides being verifiable facts was that they were gathered together in the same place.

Actually, the editors of Wikipedia ... and there are MANY of them as you have noted ... work very hard at eliminating OPINION. From the time I've spent reading articles posted on Wikipedia over the last year or so, I would say they've been quite successful in that endeavour. In cases where individuals attempt to interject OPINION into the articles, those OPINIONS are removed ... in many cases within minutes ... by someone who knows the difference between fact and OPINION within that particular filed of knowledge.

When it comes to the power of peer pressure (hudreds of editors, all your peers) one doesn't want to gain a reputation for continually trying to insert OPINIONS. Wikipedia (or the software used) keeps track of who writes which articles and makes which edits. If one gets a reputation for being consistantly "other than factual" one is bared from further edits. If you think about it, peer review is the element that makes the scientific method work.

Spend some time looking up things in Wikipedia, things that you can verify through other resources, and see whether or not I'm right or I'm just trying to blow sunshine up your tailpipe.

If you can find places where Wikipedia is over the top and less than factual, get back to me and let me know. I would sincerely appreciate it.

(By way of disclaimer, I am in no way connected or affiliated with Wikipedia. I am registered. I can originate and edit articles there ... but as you point out, anyone can do that.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Sep 14 05 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Ty Simone wrote:
Joe,
Some example of how the Wikipedia thing is wrong.

Ty ... Read what I wrote VERY carefully. This is how misunderstandings happen.

Questions were raised spicifically about Posse Comitatus and the Insurrection Act ... both of which require the governor of the state effected to "invite" federal intervention.

I explicitely stated that it was possible that the president was granted greater powers elswhere ... but that it wasn't in those two acts.

I'm not sure how you can find fault with that - or how Wikipedia is wrong (I only used Wikipedia as a resource for the language of the Acts mentioned above). However, I would be more than pleased to have you show me where the error is. Language quoted incorrectly from the two named Acts? If so, where specifically?

As for your expanded explanation of where the presidend DOES in fact derive those powers, thank you. I was curious. (Let me point out again, just so you understand clearly  ... it's not from Posse Comitatus or the Insurrection Act.)

Sep 14 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
Ty ... Read what I wrote VERY carefully. This is how misunderstandings happen.

Questions were raised spicifically about Posse Comitatus and the Insurrection Act ... both of which require the governor of the state effected to "invite" federal intervention.

I explicitely stated that it was possible that the president was granted greater powers elswhere ... but that it wasn't in those two acts.

I'm not sure how you can find fault with that - or how Wikipedia is wrong (I only used Wikipedia as a resource for the language of the Acts mentioned above). However, I would be more than pleased to have you show my.

As for your expanded explanation of where the presidend DOES in fact derive those powers, thank you. I was curious. (Let me point out again, just so you understand clearly  ... it's not from Posse Comitatus or the Insurrection Act.)

I was referring to the Wikipedia quote that says:

Presidents of the United States have issued executive orders since 1789. There is no United States Constitution provision or statute that explicitly permits this, aside from the vague grant of "executive power" given in Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution and the statement "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed" in Article II, Section 3.

Executive orders do not have legal force by themselves. Most are simply orders issued by the President to United States to executive officers to help direct their operation, the result of failing to comply being removal from office. Some orders do have the force of law when made in pursuance of certain Acts of Congress due to those acts giving the President discretionary powers.

I think the Wikipedia article leaves out that the courts did validate it very early on in the country when that language made much more sense to the common man than it does now. :-)

But In rereading what you wrote, I can see your point of view and on that part you are 100% correct. I did not mean to sound as if I disagreed with it at all.

I think we are kind of looking at different bits and pieces and not the whole of it.

And you are right that that is how misunderstanding start :-)

Sep 14 05 09:09 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

BlackStarPhoto wrote:

See US Code:

I've stated this before... FEMA is this nations secret government. FEMA has the power to bring the Army (yes Army, not National guard), into a US city WITHOUT the permission of congress or the president for that matter. It was our leaders way of quelling a possible civilian uprising. An an emergency dosen't have to be a natural disaster according to FEMA guidelines. A riot can be considered an emergency.

Sep 14 05 09:17 am Link