Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Check out this weeks Newsweek.

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Look at this weeks Newsweek.
Many of you including me weighed
in with our views on Race, poverty and
New Orleans.
READ THIS ISSUE!
Tony

Sep 13 05 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Look at this weeks Newsweek.
Many of you including me weighed
in with our views on Race, poverty and
New Orleans.
READ THIS ISSUE!
Tony

Oh, that liberal rag?  Newsweek is nothing but a tool of the liberal media and is America's greatest threat.  I may as well get my news from Michael Moore...

Just kidding - I'll pick it up tonight and check it out...

Sep 13 05 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

Oh, that liberal rag?  Newsweek is nothing but a tool of the liberal media and is America's greatest threat.  I may as well get my news from Michael Moore...

lol... and I thought it was a conservative rag... just kidding.

Sep 13 05 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Just a rag, apparently...

Sep 13 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

take a look at the top of the magazine. (I think they call that the masthead)
See anything subliminal.  No way this is anything other than a liberal rag...with ONE large exception.  Fareed Zakaria www.fareedzakaria.com he rocks!

Sep 15 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

eyetoeye-Images

Memphis, Alabama, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

Just Like Fox is a rag for the theifs in the White House.

Sep 15 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

eyetoeye-Images wrote:

With a few exceptions...yes FOX is a rag for Republicans.

Sep 15 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

bencook2 wrote:
With a few exceptions...yes FOX is a rag for Republicans.

Still, there are very few political shows I enjoy more than Brit Hume.  Meet The Press is its only competition for me...

Sep 15 05 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul Mann

Los Angeles, California, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

I'm kiddind too... to tell you, that America's greateatest threat is not  NewsWeek nor Michael Moore, but poor education and Ignorance...and the fact that we are sitting on our asses,
playing the politic game, shows  how little we are concerned with  the real issues, some
good american people left everything to go to help the victims  of Katarina...
Are we so far off to think that a desesperate mother ..right now in the south think
about  republican, or liberal... she just wants to save the life of her child and hers...Can we help??
by the way Michael Moore raised a half-million dollars and sent over 50 tons of food and
water... god bless you!!

Sep 15 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

Still, there are very few political shows I enjoy more than Brit Hume.  Meet The Press is its only competition for me...

AMEN

Sep 15 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

eyetoeye-Images wrote:

What are "theifs"? Could you possibly mean "thieves"? If you're going to post something you think is intelligent, please start with the basics.

Sep 16 05 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Well the good news is that there's LOTS of money to be made from natural disasters! 

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-n … 9830.story

Speculators Rushing In as the Water Recedes

By David Streitfeld, Times Staff Writer

BATON ROUGE, La. — Brandy Farris is house hunting in New Orleans.

The real estate agent has $10 million in the bank, wired by an investor who has instructed her to scoop up houses — any houses. "Flooding no problem," Farris' newspaper ads advise

Her backer is a Miami businessman who specializes in buying storm-ravaged property at a deep discount, something that has paid dividends in hurricane-prone Florida. But he may have a harder time finding bargains this time around.

In some ways, Hurricane Katrina seems to have taken a vibrant real estate market and made it hotter. Large sections of the city are underwater, but that's only increasing the demand for dry houses. And in flooded areas, speculators are trying to buy properties on the cheap, hoping that the redevelopment of New Orleans will start a boom.

This land rush has long-term implications in a city where many of the poorest residents were flooded out. It raises the question of what sort of housing — if any — will be available to those without a six-figure salary. If New Orleans ends up a high-priced enclave, without a mix of cultures, races and incomes, something vital may be lost.

"There's a public interest question here," said Ann Oliveri, a senior vice president with the Urban Land Institute, a Washington think tank. "You don't have to abdicate the city to whoever shows up."

Sep 16 05 02:38 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Jim Warren wrote:
What are "theifs"? Could you possibly mean "thieves"? If you're going to post something you think is intelligent, please start with the basics.

Jim you can count the times I have come to the side of Eye to Eye on...well...I have never done it...but, attacking someone for their spelling on a bbs,blog,forum is a bit offsides.

Cheers

Ben

Sep 16 05 03:37 pm Link