Forums > Photography Talk > Ilford Delta 3200

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Anyone have better developer and times for ASA1600?  Negs look thin using spec sheet recommendations for D76.

-Don

Sep 13 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

hc110 dilution B, 12min +/-, 68 degrees... run a test- I do this as continuous agitation on a jobo, you may need to bump it up a bit if you're doing small tank.  A nice side effect, less base fog, more + crisper contrast...

also, the best resource I've ever seen: http://www.digitaltruth.com
check out the massive developing chart

Sep 13 05 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Hey thanks Justin.  I printed the Massive Chart yesterday and looked at what was recommended, but the D76 was the same as Ilford numbers so I figured they'd all be thin.  T'would be nice to have some clear film along with the silver.  HC110 it'll be next time out.

I use a 64oz 4-spool tank and 30 second agitation rate.  Other problems I've had have included doing all this at 75F and getting some uneven development.

Just started using Ilford 3200 to keep TSA off my back at the airports, but even with the little problems I have been impressed.

-Don

Sep 13 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yeah, I'd test it for the small tank at 75 degrees, you can probably knock a minute or two off...but sometimes that film is a little unpredictable.  I guess it's a little late in the game to petition kodak to make a 120 format tmax 3200.

I'm surprised the TSA doesn't just xray it twice to spite you, I've heard some anecdotal accounts smile

good luck!
J

Sep 13 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Just checked those four-year old under the streetlight negs, but unfortunately didn't write down the developer.  I do remember needing to bump the times above what the chart called for, and once that was done it worked pretty well.  The initial tries would have been with the recommended DDX, and I've also used HC-110, Rodinal and Xtol.

Sep 13 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

don

out of curiousity are you using the negs for digital scanning /output only or going to print them via enlarger?

Sep 14 05 05:20 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

KM von Seidl wrote:
don

out of curiousity are you using the negs for digital scanning /output only or going to print them via enlarger?

Kim, negs are my original art.  I scan them for the web and potential magazine sales, then keep them for darkroom enlarger printing should I want real prints for my portfolio or a gallery show.  Nothing beats real silver for presentation.

My darkroom is packed up right now, but I've got a plumbed space and am saving my nickels for a 7' sink so I can set it all back up.  There are a few real good custom printers in town, but I really don't want to go through the pain of the first few prints getting what I want exactly right.

-Don

Sep 14 05 05:44 pm Link