Forums > Photography Talk > Cokin Filters Using Digital

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using Cokin filters on their digital cameras. I was thinking of shooting some landscape stuff, using a blue polarizer and I thought I would ask.

Sep 14 05 06:27 am Link

Photographer

MyPhotos217798

Baltimore, Maryland, US

The filter will work just fine, but why would you do this?  The only filter I use anymore with digital is a Polarizer and Neutral Density.  The rest can be done via photoshop with perfect results.

Sep 14 05 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Interestingly enough, when I first tried to use a polarizer with digital, I didn't get what I was expecting, but fixed all that...Now, I just a neutral density and everything is fine..Unless you are looking for dramatic effects, then I'll break out the B&W filters...

Sep 14 05 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

I'm not a fan of filter f/x, but:

There are some fractured light Cokin filters (kaleidescope, etc.) that would be difficult to reproduce in PS.

If you want to do a whole set with certain f/x, it's much faster to modify the input than make the same change to a lot of images in PS.

Sep 14 05 07:45 am Link

Photographer

MyPhotos217798

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Doug Harvey wrote:
Interestingly enough, when I first tried to use a polarizer with digital, I didn't get what I was expecting, but fixed all that...Now, I just a neutral density and everything is fine..Unless you are looking for dramatic effects, then I'll break out the B&W filters...

Really?  Film filters work on digital just fine.  There maybe sensor blooming issues with certain film filters but not Polarizers.

Sep 14 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

MyPhotos217798

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Todd Steinwart wrote:
I'm not a fan of filter f/x, but:

There are some fractured light Cokin filters (kaleidescope, etc.) that would be difficult to reproduce in PS.

If you want to do a whole set with certain f/x, it's much faster to modify the input than make the same change to a lot of images in PS.

The original poster asked about a simple blue filter.  This is easily don't in PS without 3rd party plug-ins.

Sep 14 05 08:14 am Link

Photographer

BlackStar Photo

Gilbert, Arizona, US

A polarizer, ND or a Gradulated ND should work well.  Other filters you have to be careful about using, if you use Auto White Balance, the camera will remove the color from a colored filter.  Any filter will work if you do not use AWB.

About the only filters I ever use anymore are a polarizer, ND or a Gradulated ND.

Bill...

Sep 14 05 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

properlyexposed wrote:
The original poster asked about a simple blue filter.  This is easily don't in PS without 3rd party plug-ins.

Blue polarizer to be exact. Blue filter yes, but polarization isn't something I've seen done properly by any 3rd party PS filter.

About the Cokin blue polarizer: It's not a circular polarizer so it will probably screw up autofocus. As another poster mentioned, you'll need to set your white balance before adding the filter, otherwise AWB will neutralize the blue aspect.

My rec: get a good glass circular polarizer (Hoya or B+W) and add the blue in post.

Sep 14 05 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Stormwind Photographics

Bloomington, Indiana, US

Don't forget about an infrared filter. Point your TV remote at your camera. If you can see the light in the remote, your digital camera can take infrared photos. Then get a Hoya infrared filter and play with photos that make your nude models look statuesque -- without moles, etc.

Sep 15 05 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I've been using a Cokin Type-P mount with a (Tiffen) 2-stop graduated neutral density filter on my 20D. It works very well for it's intended use. Takes a bit of time to set up, but that's life.

-TMH

Sep 15 05 11:02 am Link