Forums > Photography Talk > Model Direction Discussion

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

A discussion thread about how you control your models.

Ex. I have been having several problems with newer models who don’t understand when I say bring your “inâ€? shoulder down 1-2 inches or tilt your head to “camera leftâ€?.

How do you guys deal with posing without manually having to pose a model (Terms, Directions, etc.)?

Yuriy “Dâ€? Demko

Sep 14 05 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

haha, all i can say is be patient and have fun. you'll be doing a lot of demonstrating. or look for girls that just have "it" they're easy to ork with.

Sep 14 05 09:31 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

First off, when working with a new model they're won't even know how to stick out their butts or suck in their tummies.  I know...been there, done that.  A year later, I'm a pro at it !!!  lol 

Secondly, ALWAYS direct the model from their POV.  Like, "move your left arm out a little".  Don't say stuff like "camera left".  That just confuses us because then we have to think.  Hehe.

Thirdly, make sure you're not stumbling over your words.  Newer models won't be able to read your mind.  Experienced models, I do this myself, will pretty much know what you're going to say and automatically do it.  Depending on the comfort level and how well you two know each other and how many times you've worked together.  Models will also remember who's a "chin up, chin down, smile, no smile, look away, look at the camera, etc." photographer. 

I know it's hard to give direction and I've given some photographer hints on how to explain something to a model who can't quite understand the direction. 

Of course, it always helps when the photographer does the pose him/herself before having the model do it.  Which is usually always what the photographer does.

Sep 14 05 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Venus wrote:
Of course, it always helps when the photographer does the pose him/herself before having the model do it.  Which is usually always what the photographer does.

Oh, I do but I look like a damn fool doing it haha.
Usually I can't keep myself from laughing when I demonstrate poses that make me look like an idiot lol. The model usually gets her giggles in too. Just wanted to see what other photographers do to avoid that.

Sep 14 05 09:50 am Link

Model

Jin

Well, if you feel like a fool then the model will feel like a fool.  Most photographers I work with have done the poses they want me to do and tell me they wouldn't make me do anything that would make me look like an idiot.  Of course, I get my giggles as well when watching a photographer pose.  Only because I know that I look better doing the pose.  lol  But I have to get my kicks somehow since I have to do what the photographer says.  I have to amuse myself in some way. 

You just have to learn what words work best with models.  Direction isn't that hard, as long as you're good at explaining things and people can understand you.  If you aren't good at verbal communication, then it's best to stick with the demonstration.

Sep 14 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Venus wrote:
Well, if you feel like a fool then the model will feel like a fool.  Most photographers I work with have done the poses they want me to do and tell me they wouldn't make me do anything that would make me look like an idiot.  Of course, I get my giggles as well when watching a photographer pose.  Only because I know that I look better doing the pose.

My point exactly. If I'm working with a male model I have no problems demonstrating since we are the same sex.
But, demonstrating the turn head motion and hair toss, while doing an S curve (or similar) pose is kind of funny. I don't exactly have what it takes to be a female model ;-).

Sep 14 05 10:07 am Link

Model

Jin

Then you need to learn how to give better direction.  I've seen a lot of male photographers do poses better then me !!!  They're like "I can do it, so you should be able to".  Sometimes I can't, so I just do my own version.

Sep 14 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

David Nusbaum

Rochester, Minnesota, US

This is a huge challenge for me right now. I have worked with a couple of model that just 'get it', which allows me to set the stage and then focus on photography as they create and work their way through poses. But there are those that don't get it and don't even really know that 'it' exists. This slows things to a crawl and then the model gets frustrated because I should be shooting faster. This is NOT intended as a jab at models, I should be able to work through this situation and I'm struggling to develop the proper technique.

Sep 14 05 10:20 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

ThePoser

Holiday, Florida, US

This is something I have been faced with lately too. There are models where the shoot goes through with very little issues, you just say one thing and get alot of great poses and they "get" the idea. And then there are the ones that just look like, (My husband calls it) "A deer in headlights" LOL You have to tell them every little move and it becomes challenging and time consuming.

What I have been doing with the tougher models is talking to them alot before the shoot, find out the feel they want to see from the pictures and get them in the mood. I have suggested to some of the stiffer models that they take some dance classes (belly dancing is great for this), yoga, get used to moving, posing be comfortable in their body. Alot of times these classes involve being in front of a mirror so they can see what they look like in the poses and moving and it will help them feel more comfortable in the positions. Another great suggestion for your shoot, getting a smallish mirror where they can see themself without compromising your lighting situation.

Another thing I like to do is have plenty of props so that model takes the attention off herself and is not so self conscious, they are easier to pose that way. Give them direction that directs them to something other then themself, make sense?

Meditation, give the model some time alone in the room while you go and wash your hands or something. Ask her to get centered and breath deeply and relax, do some stretches, put on some music, let her dance around and be silly, whatever it takes to get her mind there. Smile and ask if she is comfortable, ect.....

One particular model wanted to do some sexy shots in lingerie, but she feels sexy in that lingerie in front of her boyfirend, not me and Tim, so she gets all giggly and just sits there, and I told her, if you want this to be a sexy shoot you have to feel sexy, if you don't feel sexy then we should choose another theme.......

Being realistic and expressing and communicating exactly what you (the photog) and the model want to get out of the session is very important, if she is not able to get it and get there, then move on to something else........

Good luck! 8-)

Kaire

Sep 14 05 10:39 am Link

Photographer

hypolux

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yuriy wrote:

Usually I can't keep myself from laughing when I demonstrate poses that make me look like an idiot lol. The model usually gets her giggles in too. Just wanted to see what other photographers do to avoid that.

models can look pretty damn foolish if they're not given a bit of direction - newbies in particular.  ...and the same is going to be true of the shots you get short of luck - so i'd say communicate and follow venus' advice smile

or you could just try shooting them when they aren't trying to "pose" if you want to get a natural looking shot - if you have a fast eye, that is.  i find distraction works quite well.

Sep 14 05 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

If I can simply connect with a model on agreeing what is "her left" and what is "her right", I'm in heaven.

I do a lot of monkey-see, monkey-do and can pose like a madman myself. A mirror image is an effective way of communicating on any level, though it can get disturbing when a model has to watch me grab my breasts.

Sep 14 05 03:50 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

There is no easy way on this one. I for one, can't readily tell my right from my left. I have to think. So, I expect that most models are the same. This brings me to actually show them what I want by doing it somewhat, then saying 'exaggerate your movement', which, even working with newer models, gets a good result for me. I mostly try for the most natural looking shots. I try to come up with improv situations so they can move through the poses. But then I don't get expressions because they are too busy concentrating on the movement.....

Sep 14 05 03:51 pm Link

Model

Jose L.

San Diego, California, US

Yes Jim, that was rather disturbing watching you grab your breasts, but other than that...Great direction.

I still need the direction of the photographer and really appreciate a photographers patience when they do offer this.  It just comes with time for the model.  I am NOWHERE near able to pull of looks I want to, but with patience and great direction, I usually able to come out with a few really good shots.

Sep 14 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Hundsnurscher

Seattle, Washington, US

Sometimes, I have to simulate the pose in order to show the model what I want.
And every now and then someone captures a picture of me doing it.

Sep 14 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

hypolux wrote:
or you could just try shooting them when they aren't trying to "pose" if you want to get a natural looking shot - if you have a fast eye, that is.  i find distraction works quite well.

That's typically what i do. Sara [37462] often reads my mind, I'll take a breath preparing to speak and before i can make a sound she's already done what i was about to ask.

Sep 14 05 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Don't be afraid of having the model get the giggles. Sometimes those will be the best images.
Whenever I have a model get the giggles I tell them not to try and hold back and I zoom in for some personality shots.

Yuriy wrote:

Sep 14 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

it's called mirroring.  i give them examples of posing, by doing it myself.

Sep 14 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Do it for them.... I turn the music up and tell them to dance... Modeling is not having your thumb up your butt  have to move  more so for the newer models cant get that dynamic pose if you dont move

Sep 16 05 12:26 am Link