Forums > Photography Talk > Just checkin' out the BBCode

Photographer

jimmyd

Los Angeles, California, US

yep, it works.

model is laurie shot in a kind-of film noir/george hurrell style w/hotlights. (and no, i didn't shoot this after "Sin City" was released... I shot it way before.)

https://www.prettygirlpix.com/laurie2-098rev1.jpg

May 06 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

And Sin City looks like this? I thought Sin City was colorized B&W..

May 06 05 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

jimmyd

Posted by Brent Burzycki: 
And Sin City looks like this? I thought Sin City was colorized B&W..

the problem with these forums is that its hard to tell if someone's just asking a question, or they're asking a question that is also meant to bust your balls.

regardless, no, sin city doesn't look like this. my reference wasn't about the technique as much as the style. when's the last major feature film you've seen that was shot with a decidedly film noir look? i just made the comment so people, perhaps people like you, didn't think i was trying to mimic the style cuz i saw the movie.

as for your technical comment (re: sin city), since almost the entire film was shot in front of a green or blue screen, i don't know how they would have accomplished keying in the animation and CG in post if they shot their negative with a monochrome emulsion.

also note i wrote that i shot this image in "kind of" a film noir or george hurrell style. you neglected to mention hurrell in your reply. you know who hurrell was, right, brent? (this last paragraph might include some slight ball-busting, depending on how you take it.)

May 07 05 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

I never saw Sin City, but Sky Captain (which I think was done with the same technique) was shot entirely on green screen with a computer generated world, all in color, then converted to black and white, and then colorized.

May 07 05 02:08 am Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Was just asking.... many here probably do not know what Film Noir even is....

The reason is that before Sky Captain and before Sin City I was playing with this style because I really like the look....

And to answer your question - no I have no idea who hurrell is I assume a photogrpaher that was famous and does that style...

I do not usually have time to look at others work - thus I cannot be told I am coping someone's style..

Posted by jimmyd: 

you know who hurrell was, right, brent? (this last paragraph might include some slight ball-busting, depending on how you take it.)

May 07 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

jimmyd

And to answer your question - no I have no idea who hurrell is I assume a photogrpaher that was famous and does that style... ball-busting, depending on how you take it.)

From a Hurrell Tribute Site

"In 1929 at the age of 25 artist turned photographer, George Hurrell, irreparably changed the way cinema studios and the movie going public perceived many of the greatest stars of the '30s and '40s.  His highly stylized, sensual studio portraits of the great and soon to be great stars became the epitome of Hollywood glamour and mystery for a Depression weary movie going public.

The incredibly dramatic use of light in his portraits not only created a new, exciting look in movie tableaus, but actually influenced the way movie sets were lit for the next two decades.  His ingenious use of a boom to place a light above his subject's head highlighting the hair was quickly adopted by all the major studios and remains to this day an important lighting implement in cinema, video and still photography.

Hurrell’s exhaustive retouching of negatives to eliminate unwanted facial and body blemishes and to enhance the subjects finest qualities continues to be a source of controversy among movie and art critics.  Each negative was painstakingly scrubbed and worked over with graphite powder smoothing away blemishes and unwanted lines.  What resulted was a stunning photographic transformation – a fantasy of beauty and perfection.  "The stuff dreams are made of" as one of Hurrell’s subjects is often quoted as saying (well, maybe not actually about the photography)."

I actually purchased a vintage Mole Richardson Lamp Boom (just like Hurrell used) to attempt to accomplish the same sort of look. Obviously, our use of PS is comparable to Hurrell's "exhaustive retouching of negatives to eliminate unwanted facial and body blemishes and to enhance the subjects finest qualities..."  I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

May 07 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Thanks

YEp pretty much everything goes full circle..

And some things defiantely should not - like bell bottoms.

May 07 05 10:13 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

lets see if this works

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/DSC_0213E600.jpg

Aug 15 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Hey Jimmy, you're everywhere!  Great pics as usual.

Paul

Aug 15 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Does it really matter if Sin City was your inspiration?  So what.  Life is full of inspiration.  So what if it's another photographer or a movie or whatever.

If we can't use inspiration, we might as well quit because there's not a whole lot of originality left these days.

Aug 15 05 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Benny wrote:
lets see if this works

Now that's just bragging.

Aug 15 05 05:14 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

No this would be bragging.