Forums > Photography Talk > Photo editing software

Photographer

Dave Cooper

Rochester, New York, US

Hey, I need some advice. I had to reformat my pc's hard drive and I'm in the process of reinstalling software. My pc is a generic model and it's a few years old. It has an celeron processor, 634 Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, running windows xp service pack 2. I was using Serif Photo plus 6, I got that for free and I thought it worked pretty well. Since the pc I have now isn't powerful enough to run the latest version of photoshop, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding photo editing software.

Thanks,
Dave

Sep 15 05 06:17 am Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

if i were you, i'd run an op sys that is more suitable for your pc.  win xp uses ALOT of resources.  you really need to upgrade to atleast 1GB RAM.  if upgrading is not an option, i'd back up to maybe win 98, and then roll with photoshop cs.  another possible way to empower your pc to handle a program like photoshop cs would be to purchase an external harddrive with a firewire connection (usb if your pc doesn't support firewire) then that way you can have the images on a different drive other then the drive the software is located on.  that might work as well.

these are just my thoughts, i'm not absolutely certain photoshop cs would run on win 98, but i don't see why it would not.

Sep 15 05 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Geez, 128Mb of RAM.  That's not a lot. wink  I think it's time for a new PC and a copy of Photoshop Elements.

Paul

Sep 15 05 06:37 am Link

Photographer

M B

Chicago, Illinois, US

If it is possible to upgrade the whole system it is money well spent. Otherwise it is recommended to have at least 1G of ram. Things will run much better.

Sep 15 05 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Jonathan Cain

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

id go with the 1 gig of ram( a matched set of corrsair ram, 2x512 is about 85-90 bucks on new egg.) and at least photoshop elements. I would also recomend looking into upgrading your proccessor( new egg again would be away to go, as you can upgrade your proccessor and your motherboard fairly cheaply if you go with the something like the amd athlon xp series, its not bleeding edge but it will do the trick) you can also go with a package system from dell that will kick you current systems tail for about 500 bucks if you want to go the less techie route;)

Sep 15 05 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Dave Cooper

Rochester, New York, US

Thanks guys, I can't upgrade this system anymore..All the memory slots are taken up, and the mother board won't support other upgrades. So I guess I go with the Dell PC I was considering. I think it's a PIII with a 1 Ghz processor and 256 Mb and I can add more memroy.

Sep 15 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

The INC Mediaworks

Baltimore, Maryland, US

the new pc is it new or used make sure you have completly wiped it and you can use either  Photoshop cs or elements 3-cs2 uses alot of ram and elements will give you most of what you may really need

Sep 15 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

soundguy

Seattle, Washington, US

Dave Cooper wrote:
Thanks guys, I can't upgrade this system anymore..All the memory slots are taken up, and the mother board won't support other upgrades. So I guess I go with the Dell PC I was considering. I think it's a PIII with a 1 Ghz processor and 256 Mb and I can add more memroy.

Trust me, the 1g Pentium 3 is not going to be a significant upgrade for you. I have a couple that I use in my video render-farm and I often get better performance from an old 733mhz p3. It's just one of those CPU/bus speed combos that never performed as expected. The p3 chipsets will limit you to comparatively slow PC133 RAM instead of the newer, faster types like 400 or 800. BTW, the MOST you should even consider paying for any p3 these days is about $75. You also need to remember that any hard drive over 2 years old has a very high probability of failure.

Do yourself a big favor and forget buying an old beater. Look for one of the frequent sales at Dell or get a local geek friend to build you one for a few hundred bucks. If you shop around online and play the rebate game, you can assemble a decent basic p4 system for 1/3 of the price of a prebuilt commodity box.

Sep 15 05 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Cooper

Rochester, New York, US

The dell is refurbished..I forgot I had the flyer..was checking out something else in the shop and wrote on the back of it. Anyway, it's a Dell optiplex slim line with; Intel PIII 1 Ghz, Win XP is the operating system, 256 Mb, cd rom drive. It can be upgraded to 512 Mb, drives, etc can be changed..and there's a slot for a video card. That's $219.

Or would an AMD processor be better?

Sep 15 05 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
Geez, 128Mb of RAM.  That's not a lot. wink  I think it's time for a new PC and a copy of Photoshop Elements.

Paul

I'm going to agree with Paul on this one...I know money is tight, but see about getting something decent from Dell for 400 bucks (spend another 1-200 on memory) and then throw Elements on it...At least with Elements, you can drop in plug-in's and the like to give it more function.

Sep 15 05 08:10 pm Link