Forums > Photography Talk > Radio slaves?

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Do you guys and girls use radio slaves to trigger your lights?

I am thinking about getting rid of my sync cables and adapters and replacing them with a radio slave transmitter/receiver setup.  Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?  I've been looking at the Speedotron 4 channel system with monoplug receivers.  Nice price as I don't want to spend a fortune.  Anyone use this system?

Thanks!

-Rowen

Jan 25 07 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Most people recommend and love the pocket wizards.  Probably the most reliable out there, but a bit pricey.  There are other cheaper solutions that work well enough for many people, but don't quite compare with pocket wizards in terms of range and reliability.  I'm not familiar with the speedotron system.

Oh, if you get pocket wizards and use sekonic flash meters, you can get a module to trigger the lights from the meter wirelessly as well.  Very nice.

Jan 25 07 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

I have not tried the Speedotron radio slaves. However, I've tried several other brands, and have never been satisfied with them. So I finally broke down and spent the money for Pocket Wizards. Yeah, they're expensive, but they really are better than any of the cheaper alternatives I've tried.

Jan 25 07 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

LouS

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, US

I use PW. They work inside and outside. Used Wein IRs and they didn't work outside.

Jan 25 07 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

I love my radio slave and use it in most of my shoots.

All of the previously mentioned units are nice. You get what you pay for.

There is another alternative. I have use these inexpensive radio slaves I found on Ebay.

I have purchased two of these types of units. I am very happy with the second upgraded version I found.

The first set was only $34. It worked. How ever it didn’t work 100% of the time. It had 4 different radio frequencies or channels to choose from. I modified mine by replacing the ¼” inline cable with a custom length inline PC cable. A little Velcro on the side of my SB-800 and SB-28 and I was rocking. I also made a PC to ¼” adaptor so I could still use the slave with my studio lighting set up.
-In short, this first unit’s circuitry failed after 6 months of very rigorous use.

The second purchase was a similar looking model with many upgrades.
-16 different radio frequencies to choose from
-Improved battery compartment.
-An on and off switch on the receiver
-A signal received LED on the transmitter and the receiver (this makes troubleshooting a breeze)

For my use, I made the same modifications to the inline ¼” cable to this 16 channel unit as I did to the other.

I am very happy with this very inexpensive alternative. I will admit this unit is not 100% but it is very close. More like 98 to 99%.

Remember, you get what you pay for. This alternative is not for everyone. It should be thought of as a Pro-sumer product. If you have always wanted a radio slave but couldn’t justify the money for the pro units, this is the ticket. If you need 100% reliability and see that it is not worth the extra effort to see if the lesser expensive unit will work for you, by all means, get one of the pro units.

You can find these on Ebay by searching for “16 channel” in the Camera & Photo category.
https://jaysonpolansky.com/images/Non_website_Images/16_channel_radio_slave.jpg

Jan 25 07 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Red Tack Arts

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I use the PWs. And not can't remeber how I got along without them. I use them with Alien Bees, but the PW work with most or all strobes as long as you have the right cable.

Jan 25 07 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

dan orlow assisting

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Most people I assist use PW's and they're the best. I got calumet's and they seem to pretty good so far. But, I haven't really tested their range yet.

Jan 25 07 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I've used and sold PW and they are great units. I own Quantums. my first one was before they were Quantum but the original QVI units about 20 years old and still work. First unit had two channels the new ones four. The more channesl the less likely to have interference and better operation.
I use them all the time now.

Jan 25 07 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Transposure

Milford, New Jersey, US

Pocket Wizards ROCK!

I have 3 of the PW Plus II's and after moving from the AB's to a Profoto lighting setup, the Profoto D4R generator has one built in.  So, now, I only use one of them on the camera.  I also use the Sekonic 558R meter to trigger them as I meter at the subject's location.  So, I am experiencing "Digital Wireless Freedom" DWF exactly as they intended.  And I have to say, it is amazing.  It always works, 100% of the time, at least so far after 6 months or so.  No complaints whatsoever and highly recommended.

Don't skimp, save the pennies and go for it.  You will not be disappointed.  And, they work up to 1,600 feet away!!!

Jan 25 07 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I *LOVE* my radio slave, no cables to fiddle with or trip over -- simply love it.  I just purchased one of the cheap ones from ebay and it works wonderfully in my studio. Yes I have a backup incase the 25.00 thing breaks smile  Only 2 complaints, it doesn't handle syncs over 200 and occasionally something else will trigger it when i'm working.

Jan 25 07 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I use the Bowens Pulsar System... Costs $330 AUD but every now and again they decide to behave badly. I am looking into the pocket wizard system but i have no idea where to get them from in Australia

Jan 25 07 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

It's called Microsync and it isn't some big R2D2 hanging off your camera! It has 4 channels too and just look at the size difference from all the others.

I use it and I love it!

Jan 25 07 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

walter t

New York, New York, US

pocket wizards are great.

Jan 25 07 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

.... Tamrac microsync.... small.. powerful and easy to use..

Jan 25 07 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

When I bought my radio triggers, I couldn't afford the PocketWizards, so I looked and looked and looked... I found these:  LiteLink by Calumet.  I haven't had one problem with them.  They work inside and out, dark or bright sunshine.  And they are far less expensive than PocketWizards... Well, about $100.00 cheaper, anyway.

-Major

*Edit - The previous link was to the LiteLink with the 5 year warranty.  Here is the link to the LiteLink system without the extended warranty.

Jan 25 07 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

E O

Aaronsburg, Pennsylvania, US

I have the el cheepo from eBay with an old Quantum II as backup.  Some of the inexpensive ones  get nervous when you put the transmitter and reciever too close and tend to fire on their own.  I guess for a quarter the price of a PW you could get several of the cheap ones and just throw them away when they start getting flakey.

Converted a Radio Shack remote control car into one once.  Worked for a while.

Jan 26 07 12:39 am Link

Photographer

John D Cleland

Mansfield, England, United Kingdom

PW's do the job for me.

Jan 26 07 12:43 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I have a rather large 20 year old Quantum Radio trigger that never failed. I replaced it with 3 of the cheap ones on Ebay mentioned above. Missfired when you first connected them one of of 5 times. But after you got them seated properly no more missfires. that was with my Olympus Evolt 330. Now with my Nikon D200 that problem is gone and so far 100% fires. I bought 2 of the kind that take power off the flash for the receiver and one that has a battery in the receiver so I could use it to move my on camera flash unit (Olympus 50 and Nikon SB800) off and still fire it remotely. Had them 9 months so far BUT I don't shoot as much as a pro does. A lot for each session but only a few session a month. And maybe a couple of 3 tests.

Jan 26 07 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

The MicroSync is very disappointing.

Very elegant design, but it didn't work as advertised.

They are supposedly rated at max sync speed of 160th second. However, in practice, they don't sync reliably at anything faster than 100th second. In my studio the transmitter fell apart 3 times in less than a year. The battery cover on the receiver falls off all the time.

It is a great looking design. The transmitter, especially, is much smaller than the bulky Pocket Wizard. But it barely works and is not very durable at all. And isn't all that much savings off Pocket Wizards.

Thumbs down on MicroSync.

Jan 26 07 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks to all of you for replying!  I have been edumacated! smile

-Rowen

Jan 26 07 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Tony Kinard Photography

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Digital Basement Studio wrote:

There is another alternative. I have use these inexpensive radio slaves I found on Ebay.

I have purchased two of these types of units. I am very happy with the second upgraded version I found.

The first set was only $34. It worked. How ever it didn’t work 100% of the time. It had 4 different radio frequencies or channels to choose from. I modified mine by replacing the ¼” inline cable with a custom length inline PC cable. A little Velcro on the side of my SB-800 and SB-28 and I was rocking. I also made a PC to ¼” adaptor so I could still use the slave with my studio lighting set up.
-In short, this first unit’s circuitry failed after 6 months of very rigorous use.

-A signal received LED on the transmitter and the receiver (this makes troubleshooting a breeze)

For my use, I made the same modifications to the inline ¼” cable to this 16 channel unit as I did to the other.

I am very happy with this very inexpensive alternative. I will admit this unit is not 100% but it is very close. More like 98 to 99%.

Remember, you get what you pay for. This alternative is not for everyone. It should be thought of as a Pro-sumer product. If you have always wanted a radio slave but couldn’t justify the money for the pro units, this is the ticket. If you need 100% reliability and see that it is not worth the extra effort to see if the lesser expensive unit will work for you, by all means, get one of the pro units.

You can find these on Ebay by searching for “16 channel” in the Camera & Photo category.

I just bought that 16 channel radio trigger set up for $25 off of ebay from Qiqowo. Came all the way from Shanghai, China.  Works like a champ so far and you can't beat the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0064068731

Jan 26 07 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Hawaiian Girls

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Since everyone is talking about PW.
Is there a way I can connect PW from my on camera (550ex) flash to trigger off camera flash?
Thank you.

Jan 26 07 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Marcotte Photography

Fresno, California, US

Yes, get a Wein hotshoe that has the right sized female for the PW's synch cord and you're pretty much done. I do it all the time.

Jan 26 07 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Stephen E Morton

White Plains, New York, US

Micro synch - AWESOME!  Under industrial conditions, it still works like a charm!

Jan 26 07 10:53 am Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

The main reason I heart my PWs is the 1/200 sync speed. It works every time without fail.

Jan 26 07 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

Save your money and buy two sets of the cheap ones on EBay.  I use them all the time and have no problems.  I would get the kind where the receiver integrates with the power cord.  I think I paid $8 for the a unit and $20 for shipping.  Best deal in town.

Jan 26 07 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Scott Aitken wrote:
The MicroSync is very disappointing.

Very elegant design, but it didn't work as advertised.

They are supposedly rated at max sync speed of 160th second. However, in practice, they don't sync reliably at anything faster than 100th second. In my studio the transmitter fell apart 3 times in less than a year. The battery cover on the receiver falls off all the time.

It is a great looking design. The transmitter, especially, is much smaller than the bulky Pocket Wizard. But it barely works and is not very durable at all. And isn't all that much savings off Pocket Wizards.

Thumbs down on MicroSync.

I know what you are talking about with the battery cover coming off when pushing the reciever into the plug on the power box but it's just a dumb design issue. I have never had any problems with sync speed or reliability or anything else and I use mine every week!!

Jan 26 07 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Belmont Images

Jackson, Mississippi, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
It's called Microsync and it isn't some big R2D2 hanging off your camera! It has 4 channels too and just look at the size difference from all the others.

I use it and I love it!

I use this unit as well, and have had no problems with it.  It did take a $12 adapter to make it work with my ABs

Jan 26 07 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

I read from a AB owner that their newest wireless remotes are very good. The transmitter sits on top of your camera and the reciever plugs into the strobe unit.

Jan 26 07 11:25 am Link

Photographer

3rdeyemedia us

Legacys 7 wrote:
I read from a AB owner that their newest wireless remotes are very good. The transmitter sits on top of your camera and the reciever plugs into the strobe unit.

These are what I use.  I have of there Alien Bee transmitters and a reciever for each of my three AB800's.  I use both my digital and film camera side by side and both can trigger the stroes.  I stick a receiver on every light to eliminate others from triggering my strobes if ai am in a shared studio or doing wedding where others have cameras.

They are cheap, light, work from a distance of about 100ft, and if I have had missfires I hav not even noticed it.

Patrick

Jan 28 07 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

minutephotos wrote:
These are what I use.  I have of there Alien Bee transmitters and a reciever for each of my three AB800's.  I use both my digital and film camera side by side and both can trigger the stroes.  I stick a receiver on every light to eliminate others from triggering my strobes if ai am in a shared studio or doing wedding where others have cameras.

They are cheap, light, work from a distance of about 100ft, and if I have had missfires I hav not even noticed it.

Patrick

I read another user stating the samething. AB seem to be pretty consistent as far as quality of thier stuff minus the softboxes from what I've read. I'll purchase a set. I want the Pocket Wizards, but if these are effective, that's all that I need.

AB company told me that I can sue them with my Travelite strobes.

Btw, you have some fine women in your port. Especially that Akiyah. Good Lawd.

Jan 28 07 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Thyronne

Huntington Beach, California, US

pocket wizards.  incredible.

Jan 28 07 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Thermogenic Photography wrote:
I just bought that 16 channel radio trigger set up for $25 off of ebay from Qiqowo. Came all the way from Shanghai, China.  Works like a champ so far and you can't beat the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0064068731

I bought one of these. I do not recommend them for critical applications! I've stopped using mine altogether. Why?

First, the sync is unreliable. I have had a lot of blank frames where the flash popped, but not in sync with the shutter. Turning down the shutter speed did not help.

Sometimes it loses contact with the hotshoe and doesn't pop at all. I've found the camera's sync socket to be more reliable with this unit.

Lastly, the unit is very succeptable to RF interference. I was shooting in a building once when a neighbor started using their vacuum. My flash would pop repeatedly when the motor wound down after she switched it off. She kept this up for half an hour. I switched back to my old Radio Slave II during this shoot, and it worked like a champ. Not as convenient, without the hotshoe mount, but much much more reliable!

Jan 28 07 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Stephen Melvin wrote:

I bought one of these. I do not recommend them for critical applications! I've stopped using mine altogether. Why?

First, the sync is unreliable. I have had a lot of blank frames where the flash popped, but not in sync with the shutter. Turning down the shutter speed did not help.

Sometimes it loses contact with the hotshoe and doesn't pop at all. I've found the camera's sync socket to be more reliable with this unit.

Lastly, the unit is very succeptable to RF interference. I was shooting in a building once when a neighbor started using their vacuum. My flash would pop repeatedly when the motor wound down after she switched it off. She kept this up for half an hour. I switched back to my old Radio Slave II during this shoot, and it worked like a champ. Not as convenient, without the hotshoe mount, but much much more reliable!

i find the same thing happens with my Bownen Pulsars every now and again...

Jan 28 07 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Eaton Studios

Summerville, South Carolina, US

I use Quantum Radio Slave 4i.  After tripping over sync cords for many years, I haven't been without a radio slave for 12 years.

Jan 31 07 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

PWs baby

Jan 31 07 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Digital Basement Studio wrote:

well, this advice is for other amateurs out there on thin budgets.  Seems like every month I have a new expense... new lens, new lights, new stands, new backgrounds, and on and on and on... i figured the last thing I'd spring for was a wireless trigger and then I found these $25 units on Ebay.  If you're an amateur, if you don't have to work under deadline pressures... I've found it works great!  i never imagined I'd be able to have the freedom of wireless in my small 15'x20' studio space but i'm glad to report that for $25 I now do.  If your job depends on it, probably want to save your money and go with the PW.

Jan 31 07 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

LB Photos

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada

Only problem with the cheap Ebay triggers is the interference they cause.  i noticed on my camera  that there is a very visiable band of noise in the shadows when I use the triggers i bought from ebay.  I guess you get what you pay for.

Jan 31 07 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Yeap...just got me a pair of the PW's...money well spent!!

Jan 31 07 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Works Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bought the cheaper radio triggers. Wore out three sets of them.  Now I shoot Pocket wizards plus Should have spent the money the first time

Cheers Grant

Jan 31 07 11:01 pm Link