Forums > Photography Talk > An honest question.....Who`s using LEICA digital?

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I`ve read reviews of the Leica Digilux 2, and its sister the Panasonic Lumix DMC LC-1, and they are really very very good reviews, but I really want to hear from anyone on the Model Mayhem who`s using one....

I have been a FIRM believer in Leitz and Leica GLASS since the day I started shooting, but since I don`t USE (Leica R) and cannot even think of the $15,000 price tag for a Digital back, the TOP of the line Digilux or the LC-1 are the Leica digital alternatives at the moment

I would really like to hear from serious people who have used these cameras and PLEASE ALL YOU Nikon and Canon lovers.....don`t come bashing ok?
*I don`t care what you say, I am only interested in the performance of these two camera`s and my consideration into  upgrading into a digital camera with Leitz glass and rangefinder features and compact feeling of the M Leica`s that I still use*

Thanks

Tom

Once a Leicaphile....always a Leicaphile

Sep 16 05 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I've never used it, but Epson's Rangefinder R-1 has gotten good reviews.  Pricey though.  About $3,000 I believe.

Sep 16 05 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It's cheaper than I thought it would be.  It's only 5 mp but if you have Leica glass, I'd go for it.

Paul

Sep 16 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
I've never used it, but Epson's Rangefinder R-1 has gotten good reviews.  Pricey though.  About $3,000 I believe.

Humm well, as I`ve said, it`s all about Leitz and Leica really, I`m not really concerned about other brands but thanks anyway wink

Sep 16 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
It's cheaper than I thought it would be.  It's only 5 mp but if you have Leica glass, I'd go for it.

Paul

They are saying that the glass makes up for the number of Megapixels, and that the outcome is as good as 8 MP now

I just love my M so much it would be kool to have something digital that would be as much fun as that.......I`m sure IF and WHEN a digital back comes out for a m Leica it will be at least $15,000+  sad   I saw prototype systems when I was in Germany and they were like $30,000+ but they would more than likely make digital photograph`s from hell...........LOL   Leica Hell

Sep 16 05 07:27 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

The problem with Leica is that they're catering so much to the collector crowd, the ones willing to pay a fortune for a camera with a tacky flag on it.

If you care about the Leica result, the Epson with Leica glass will get you that.

If you care about the Leica feel when you're shooting, you'll need to stick with your M6 for now and save up big time for the digital M (if Leica doesn't go broke before it comes out with it).

Now, about that Leica glass and digital:

I love both Leica and Carl Zeiss lenses. When I still had film, I ran tests comparing the results from my Nikon and Contax/Carl Zeiss lenses. To my eye they were both sharp, but the Contax just had way better contrast. The colors jumped off the chromes, whereas with the Nikon they were dull in comparison. When I later compared my Contax lenses with Leica lenses, the results were virtually similar, meaning they both showed that same great contract and vibrant colors.

Now, I've always wondered to what extent that still matters in the digital age, when you can manipulate colors easily in Photoshop.

Sep 16 05 07:44 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

JvR wrote:
The problem with Leica is that they're catering so much to the collector crowd, the ones willing to pay a fortune for a camera with a tacky flag on it.

If you care about the Leica result, the Epson with Leica glass will get you that.

If you care about the Leica feel when you're shooting, you'll need to stick with your M6 for now and save up big time for the digital M (if Leica doesn't go broke before it comes out with it).

Now, about that Leica glass and digital:

I love both Leica and Carl Zeiss lenses. When I still had film, I ran tests comparing the results from my Nikon and Contax/Carl Zeiss lenses. To my eye they were both sharp, but the Contax just had way better contrast. The colors jumped off the chromes, whereas with the Nikon they were dull in comparison. When I later compared my Contax lenses with Leica lenses, the results were virtually similar, meaning they both showed that same great contract and vibrant colors.

Now, I've always wondered to what extent that still matters in the digital age, when you can manipulate colors easily in Photoshop.

OHHH ok see the EPSON is all new news to me, (SORRY DIDN`T KNOW IT TOO HAS LEITZ GLASS??)  I know about the Digilux 2 and the LC-1 etc.

Well, it`s not so much the collector thing with me, it`s the love of the glass, (that`s why I`m considering the LC-1)
I`m totally crazy about Leitz and Zeiss glass for that matter, while it`s TRUE the colours POP! using them, the digital I use now has Zeiss glass and it`s so nice and so much different than Canon glass or anything else, I`m just a big fan of German glass.......

Alas Digital M that will NEVER happen, sad   *SNIFF SNIFF* and I`m sure that if it did it would be easy $8,000 for the body alone
I`ve got a GUT feeling that Leica will fall by the wayside just like Swiss Alpha and German Rolleiflex did (I`m not too sure the Japanese will save Leitz?)

Sep 16 05 07:55 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Opps! Well, my bad call......I didn`t KNOW that the Epson R-D1 was made for Leica M/mount lenses, I`m sorry smile

Looks great... pricey, but I have M lenses, just that ISO 200 is not grabbing me too well............I just read more info on the Epson, and the ISO 200 is an issue, also they are only making 10,000 cameras, so they really are`nt planning to do much with them

I did READ that Leica says a DIGITAL M will be released in 2006....well, maybe in time to save the company?  they better put a $3,000 price tag and a 7/8 mp sensor in it, and it might fly?

I`m going to look at the LC-1 for now, see if I can find one to borrow for a spell.......

Sep 16 05 08:00 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I've got a DL II, have used it twice and hate it.  Or maybe it's just that I don't understand digital, being I'm old and all....

For sale cheap - contact me.

-Don

Sep 16 05 09:05 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:

Opps! Well, my bad call......I didn`t KNOW that the Epson R-D1 was made for Leica M/mount lenses, I`m sorry smile

Looks great... pricey, but I have M lenses, just that ISO 200 is not grabbing me too well............I just read more info on the Epson, and the ISO 200 is an issue, also they are only making 10,000 cameras, so they really are`nt planning to do much with them

I did READ that Leica says a DIGITAL M will be released in 2006....well, maybe in time to save the company?  they better put a $3,000 price tag and a 7/8 mp sensor in it, and it might fly?

I`m going to look at the LC-1 for now, see if I can find one to borrow for a spell.......

The Epson R-D1 is actually a Cosina Voigtlander merged with a digital back. It's expensive and doesn't have Leica's quality feel. But it does take M glass. I played around with one in a store when I was in Japan over Christmas. Found my nose rubbing the LCD screen in the back all the time. I think Luminous-Landscape.com ran a review of it a while back.

I fear that Leica will make the same mistake with the digital M as it is making with the digital R-back: too little, too late and too expensive. Contax did the same thing with the digital N1 (I had the film N1 and found it to be the most user-friendly SLR I've ever used before or after).

Both Leica and Contax need a deep-pocketed buyer who cares about the brand. Of course, officially the Contax brand is already gone, but I'm pretty sure it will be back.

Sep 16 05 10:03 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I like a Leica.

(actually, I just like saying that)

Sep 16 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

JvR wrote:

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
Both Leica and Contax need a deep-pocketed buyer who cares about the brand. Of course, officially the Contax brand is already gone, but I'm pretty sure it will be back.

I shoot with the 645, the RTS and G systems. I know lots of us who swear by 'em. Too strong a brand to just die. It'll be back, hopefully with someone who's more committed to photography than Yashica/Kyocera.

Sep 16 05 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i want an R9 with a digital back. but im broke

Sep 16 05 10:34 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

I shoot with the 645, the RTS and G systems. I know lots of us who swear by 'em. Too strong a brand to just die. It'll be back, hopefully with someone who's more committed to photography than Yashica/Kyocera.

I'd love the 645 and often check them out on eBay. I loved my N1 and its lenses and I loved the results from my G, but hated the dim viewfinder. I really miss those beautiful chromes that resulted from shooting with those cameras. Don't care much for the workflow with film anymore, though.

It wasn't just the Carl Zeiss lenses, but also the design of the Contax cameras. Just much more intuitive than my Canons or any other modern camera I have used.

Sep 16 05 11:17 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

JvR wrote:
I'd love the 645 and often check them out on eBay. I loved my N1 and its lenses and I loved the results from my G, but hated the dim viewfinder. I really miss those beautiful chromes that resulted from shooting with those cameras. Don't care much for the workflow with film anymore, though.

It wasn't just the Carl Zeiss lenses, but also the design of the Contax cameras. Just much more intuitive than my Canons or any other modern camera I have used.

Well, I`m going to back to shooting with more Screw Mount equipment like IIIC`s and IIIF`s, the M`s are great, but people really wonder what the hell are you shooting when you have a Screw Mount in your hands......

Sep 16 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

As a long-time Leica user, the Digilux disappointed me, admittedly based only on half an hour of use.  The quality of the images is fine, the problem is that there is no optical viewfinder, everything is digital, and it's difficult to manually focus quickly... which defeats half the purpose of a Leica.  There also seems to be a slight shutter lag.  I don't consider it a pro-level effort, although it's fine for the well heeled amateur/consumer.

The Epson RD1 seems to have solved a lot of that, it takes Leica glass, the viewfinder is optical, bright, and fast to focus, it's only a bit larger than the Leica M body, is basically a manual camera with a CCD, and the construction is surprisingly solid.   I'm waiting a bit to see what else hits the market, although Leica's long-promised version is expected to be fairly pricy.  But something like an RD-1 would add little to my travel kit in the way of bulk or weight, and that compactness is a big part of the reason I shoot Leica.

Sep 16 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

You might want to check out the Leica Users Group (LUG) if you havent' already.  The dslr set is using canon with adapter mounts so they can use leica lenses on canons...or those who are pros or have lots of money like the digital back that fits onto the 8 or 9.  (the best of both worlds, a film and digital camera!). 

The all in on digilux depends on whether you like that kind of range (or lack thereof). 

Everyone is waiting for the leica digital M.

Sep 16 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Yep................I best just WAIT for the Digital M.......and until then keep cocking my M6!

Sep 16 05 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Ditto what Paul said on the Leica glass. I have an old rangefinder with a couple of lenses. From what I've read, if speed isn't a priority, you'll like the digital version...the leica glass is some of the best.

Sep 16 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Actually there has been quite a lot of discussion regarding focusing accuracy problems on the RD1...not sure if they have been fixed.  The problem seemed to relate to leica glass and not CV glass.  Which is a problem since most folks are probably more inclined to value the leica stuff...

I'd wait for the digital M myself.

Sep 17 05 01:35 am Link