Forums > Photography Talk > Being edgy

Model

Flaco

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am looking to edge up my book, any ideas?

Sep 17 05 10:52 am Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

edge up? do people say that? anyway, um....stop wearing a suit.. and preppy clothing. : )  You have an amazing body and face...Exude arrongance in some shots, maybe trashiness in your style of dress. That's all I got for now.

~N

Sep 17 05 10:55 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Ideas:  Shoot with edgy photographers.  Obvious, huh?

-D

Sep 17 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Reflections

You've got a great body, and good presence..but you need more variety. Find someone you like working with, then relax a little and try having some fun in front of the camera. Vary your wardrobe, go with some non-standard lighting and take some risks in the shots.

David

Sep 17 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Define "edge up" and maybe you'll get more input. I've been told I shoot raw and edgy (I don't even like that word) images, but what do I know.
I guess edgy (cringe) photos are more un-refined or less glamorous....ok, I'll stop now.

Craig
aka "The Edge"

Sep 17 05 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Sep 17 05 01:35 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yes, that is a good thread...

However, to this model, I would say if you want edgy, get naked, get on all fours, and wear a collar with a woman holding the leash. I think that is considered edgy. Also, show your penis.

Sep 17 05 01:54 pm Link

Model

Faith Kindle

New York, New York, US

i am assuming by edgy you mean more edgy-looking, urban, punk, hipster, whatever the f*@k the kids are calling it these days.  you know, that style that rock stars have that everyone on tv seems to be incorporating into their wardrobes?  ;-)  i think i can help.  e-mail me if you're interested in talking more 'bout it...

(no, i'm not selling anything, lol.  just want to assist.)

Sep 17 05 01:57 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Faith Kindle wrote:
i think i can help.

See, you already have women who will walk you around with that collar.

Sep 17 05 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

digital cowboy

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, US

Not sure what your definition of edgy is...but what I think you will need is a female counterpart, a photog, and watercolor paints and pallete..p.s. you're the canvas.
-=Jeff=-

Sep 17 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Photoshop: Filter->Stylize->Find Edges.  Or possibly Filter->Sharpen-> Sharpen Edges.

Or ask this guy:

https://u2only.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/u2_edge_guitarrista.jpg

Sep 17 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

edgy = someone who might make the average suburban dweller just a little bit nervous smile

Sep 17 05 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

If you mean edgy as in the NYC fashion sense then goto the large magazine shops  and look thhrough the Arpella European fashion magazines. Also check out the more mianstream fashion mags like Voque, etc. The Arpellas are going to have the runway looks that will be fashion edgy to give that designers line a look that will atract the editors. The look is not always in the cloths but in the hair and make-up.

A suggestion is find photographers that have an edge that appeals to you and then see if there is a make-up artist that you can collaberate with. Your look is  great and there are probably many medium to high end people who would want to test shoot with fun experimental edgy looks.

Also check out the hair stylist websites. Hair stylists always have cool, funky looks in their shots. Most of it is women but it can easily be translated to a male look.

A collar and the fetish look is passe. It has been done before. You need the new fresh edgy. Hell even the naked guy wearing a saddle with a girl on top has made it into main stream advertising.

That is my two sents. Spend it how you like.

PS. If you want more info and what not just send me a message.

Sep 17 05 10:31 pm Link

Model

Flaco

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks for all of your won-der-ful advice.  I see that it is a battle for the ages.  I have taken all of your advice in consideration.  I am mainly trying to diversify my book.  I am in the process of taking some pictures with a female but I think that we are going to leave out the dog collar and showing of my penis, playgirl is just not in my future.  But thanks again and keep spreading the love.

Sep 17 05 11:05 pm Link