Forums > Photography Talk > Scouting Outdoor Locations - A cautionary tale

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Evening all - Just thought I'd pass this one on.

If you see my pics you know that I shoot mostly outdoors in natural locations with casual clothed shots as well as outdoor nudes with some models.  I made a firm resolution that when I started working with models - that their safety was 100% my concern and responsibility.

I always scout my locations ahead of a shoot - even those I have used before.  Light changes and differences in sun angles as the seasons change can make a real difference.

Today I went back to my main area which is a secluded valley in a wildlife area.  This is an area where my favorite rock formations are and you have no real worry about unexpected visitors walking in.  I've shot there for more than a year - not any issues in the past - but, still . . . . Ya gotta check ahead of bringing a model into the area.

I walked up to the formation and instantly noticed that  - -  "Houston We Have A Problem" - - a huge diamondback rattler has staked a claim to "MY" rocks.  Bigger around than my wrist and I'd guess pushing about 5 feet long.  Just laying under a ledge like he owned the place (He does)

Clearly, it will be some time before I'll be back to that area - and I'll certainly scout the area with a fine tooth comb in the future.  Because that's my job - To Make Sure The Model is Safe and Comfortable - THEN I can think about pictures.

I shudder to think of the GWC's that have that "Lets run to the hills somewhere and you can take your clothes off" attitude.  If anybody looks to shoot outdoor locations - especially in wild areas - please just remember the level of trust the model has to put in you, that she will not be put into harms way.

This is why I scout locations - no model should ever put her foot into any area until I have checked it ahead of time. - period.  This could have been an "All Points Disaster" - but now it is a cautionary tale on a BB.

Thanks for your time - Tom

Sep 17 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Vintagevista wrote:
Evening all - Just thought I'd pass this one on.

If you see my pics you know that I shoot mostly outdoors in natural locations with casual clothed shots as well as outdoor nudes with some models.  I made a firm resolution that when I started working with models - that their safety was 100% my concern and responsibility.

I always scout my locations ahead of a shoot - even those I have used before.  Light changes and differences in sun angles as the seasons change can make a real difference.

Today I went back to my main area which is a secluded valley in a wildlife area.  This is an area where my favorite rock formations are and you have no real worry about unexpected visitors walking in.  I've shot there for more than a year - not
any issues in the past - but, still . . . . Ya gotta check ahead of bringing a model into the area.

I walked up to the formation and instantly noticed that  - -  "Houston We Have A Problem" - - a huge diamondback rattler has staked a claim to "MY" rocks.  Bigger around than my wrist and I'd guess pushing about 5 feet long.  Just laying under a ledge like he owned the place (He does)

Clearly, it will be some time before I'll be back to that area - and I'll certainly scout the area with a fine tooth comb in the future.  Because that's my job - To Make Sure The Model is Safe and Comfortable - THEN I can think about pictures.

I shudder to think of the GWC's that have that "Lets run to the hills somewhere and you can take your clothes off" attitude.  If anybody looks to shoot outdoor locations - especially in wild areas - please just remember the level of trust the model has to put in you, that she will not be put into harms way.

This is why I scout locations - no model should ever put her foot into any area until I have checked it ahead of time. - period.  This could have been an "All Points Disaster" - but now it is a cautionary tale on a BB.

Thanks for your time - Tom

It's good to know I'm not the ONLY photographer who thinks of this stuff.  I also make the model's safety my first priority. 

When I use a remote location, I am the first person into the location and the last one to leave it.  I usually only use places I know well, or sometimes one the model picks out.  I shoot primarily outdoors and Safety has to be an important issue. 

As I am in Upstate, NY I only shoot from April-October.  I VERY RARELY shoot in the winter months, unless the model is nearby, or they really want to shoot in the snow.  Primarily because travel can be dangerous in the wintertime for both the model, and for me.  There is also the danger of exposure and hypothermia to consider.

Sep 18 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Thanks Mark - This rattler has set up shop within a foot of where I have had a models foot in past shoots.

He seems disinclined to leave. (and it's a wildlife area - so it really is his, not mine)

Let's not even go into poison ivy or, stinging nettles.

If I don't recognize it and a model blunders into it while nude - That's the end of the day for us both and totally my fault.

How many models pics are out there with "leaves of three" surrounding them? - and the price they paid for having a photographer posing them in "that pretty green area".

yikes

Sep 18 05 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

As someone who has just passed out of the GWC stage who has no studio and is limited to available light, I can very much relate to this.

My favorite outdoor location is an abandoned oil well site on public land west of Houston. I have shot five different models there and toured the location with a sixth. I am acutely aware of the risks, which are mainly bees and wasps. So far, I am the only one to have ever been stung, but on one occasion there were so many inside one of the tanks that it made a hissing sound!

I always pre-check each spot before bringing the model there. On the last shoot, I pre-trimmed each area with hedge clippers!

Here in Texas, hyperthermia is a big concern. I always bring Gatorade or bottled water.

It is easy to forget such things when caught up in the thrill of shooting with a model.

Model Mma (MM#25531) from the most recent shoot there:

https://www.richardsfault.com/rp_photo/Mma1/07.jpg

Sep 18 05 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Excellent points, well put! Very important!

What's a GWC?

Sep 18 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

That's noble of you to go out of your way to protect your models from rattlesnakes.

From what I hear, some unprofessional photographers actually go out of their way to TRY to have their model get bitten by Spitting-One-Eyed-Trousersnakes.

https://www.airtechs.co.uk/gifs/atonamy/snake.jpg

Sep 18 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I hate snakes.  So I try not to get too much nature involved with my photography.  Don't much like sun or trees either, come to think of it.  Or bugs.  Or fresh air - ugh!

Protecting models is important though.  Trying to keep them from insisting on doing nudes in a crowded restaurant - "...we'll just run out the door afterward..." - seems to be protection most of them need.

-Don

Sep 18 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Yea - - That's always a pain - especially since I meet my models ahead of time in restaurants.

Happens to me all the damn time (Insert eye roll here)  LOL

Sep 18 05 08:51 pm Link