Forums > Photography Talk > Looking to branch out to NY

Photographer

PHOKIS Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

I am looking for some  photographers in the NYC area that might be interested in showing me the ropes in NYC. Due to an impending divorce I am thinking about relocating. It is a large place and I don't want to go into in blindly. Any Ideas about up coming events in the area that I might attend. An opportunity to me others in the area.

I have the equipment and the skills what I am looking for is a couple established photographers to show me the workings of the area and point me in the direction of the whos who in the area to get me started. Would greatly appreciate you help.

Ron

Sep 17 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

I'm not sure I could point out who's who around New York, but I have been here all my life and I do know my way around.  I can point out some of the nice locations to shoot in though.

This site is a good place to start for outdoor locations though:

http://adk.com/home/z-home.htm

Sep 18 05 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

PHOKIS Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Thanks Mark. I may take you up on that location information.

Sep 19 05 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Yeah, you shouldn't just limit yourself to NYC.  New York State is a big place and there are all kinds of places to shoot and people to work with all over the state.

I, for one, am located nearer to the center of the state, but then again I love shooting outdoors !

Sep 20 05 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

welcome to new york, ron.
the main thing you'll notice is how expensive everything is! i'd recommend discovering b&h and adorama if you havent already. if you shoot film theres still a lot of great labs. the whole city is a great location, anything you need is here (including a raw natural forest: inwood hill park in upper manhattan). check out 'creative services' on craigslist if you need a model. or just ask people you see- everybody looks like a model here, lol.
if you can pay the freight, this city is pure heaven.
best luck, q

Sep 20 05 05:24 pm Link