Forums > Photography Talk > Tearsheets---Playboy/Maxim/FHM/anything

Photographer

Michael Moon Photography

Corona, California, US

Okay all you most excellent MM fotogs out there... I hear fotogs talking about shooting for submissions to X magazine or Y magazine ... what is this all about?

Do these mags take cold submissions?  Just send stuff in out of the blue?  I'd love to get a tearsheet for my port, but my work is far from there yet, but it's something to work toward...

help a brother out with some 411

moon

Sep 18 05 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Photographers are always submitting to publication for possible work.

That's why your hard copy (prints) portfolio is often as important or more important than a website or online portfoliol listing; you have to have something to send them.

You have to assume that its possible every publication takes cold submissions. Now whether they actually look at your stuff is another matter..lol

Sep 18 05 12:49 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Anybody can submit anything to anybody... whether the item is accepted (or even looked at) is a totally different matter.

Lots of GWC's will advertise that they are looking for models to submit to Playboy.  In reality, they're usually just trying to get a naive female to get nekkid for 'em. [repeat my first sentence].

Similar ads are found by GWC's claiming they are shooting for similar magazines.  It's rare that any of them are serious.

Sep 18 05 01:09 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Moondragon wrote:
Okay all you most excellent MM fotogs out there... I hear fotogs talking about shooting for submissions to X magazine or Y magazine ... what is this all about?

moon

I found an interesting twist on this... I sometimes submit the MODEL without any particular care, or eager instance, that my particular images will be published. Some of the biggies in publishing will pay a finders fee just for a model they want to shoot themselves... as long as you can make the model in your submitted images fit the "models wanted" mould for that publication.

Though I do not pretend to be an "agent" the model in an "on-spec" shoot will also often agree to pay a percentage of any work I get them by that route. For them it is "free money" that they wouldn't have earned otherwise, and for me it is a bit extra for my time in dealing with the photo editor to promote them... even if I can't promote an actual shoot for publication.

I wouldn't call doing it (testing on-spec) exclusively a lucrative business proposition in and of itself, but it does form a small part of the larger photography business model, and revenue stream, that I use.

In the case of your port, for example... and I am not a broker for other photographers either, any more than I am an agent for the models... I could probably place for actual (paid) publication three of the images of Leah K - with a mag that doesn't shoot their own material but relies on cold submissions. In their case they don't even commission work - they buy in ready-to-publish spec work. In judging what they want, from past experience of their page and cover lay-outs, I would bet at least one - "Leah's smile" - might get a chance at a cover (IF the uncropped image has a bit more headspace at the top for the masthead) or full page inside front cover. The Leah profile shot would have a definite chance of an inside cover, as well, but not the cover. There's a tearsheet for you and for the model.

You just have to know your markets... you have to know the publications... you have to get familiar with what the photo editors want and don't want... and you learn that as you go.

Studio36

Sep 18 05 08:45 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

The feature in "(NotOnly)Black+White" was effectively a submission.  This was the single most desirable magazine to me way back when.  My rep bugged the photo editor with emailed pictures until he agreed to look at original art.  We shipped first my portfolio, then the selected transparencies (copies), as they weren't allowing scans or digital files back then, and a few weeks later a writer called from Australia for an interview, which resulted in the write-up to go with the pictures.

Seemed like a decent fee, but it was in $AUS, alas, and in the end it didn't cover shipping and insurance.  The models liked the tear sheets though.

Other submittals have resulted in lost original art and complete lack of response.  It's far better to have a connection inside, any kind at all, to keep a lookout for your stuff and pimp it as necessary.

-Don

Sep 18 05 03:28 pm Link