Forums > Photography Talk > point and shoot digital cameras

Photographer

Dave Cooper

Rochester, New York, US

I had a Canon Powershot A300 that I would carry around and take random photos with. Unfortunately that essentially died on Sunday, I got the error code "E25". If anyone can tell me what the error code refers to I'd appreciate knowing. Anyway, I'm going to be purchasing a new point and shoot camera. I'm looking for something within the $200-$250 range, hopefully a 5 MP camera. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Sep 20 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

David Scherer

Powershot cameras do have issues like this, usually it is compounded by running low on batteries and not changing them quickly enough. If your model has optical zoom and the lens won't come out, it's dead for sure.

Nikon CoolPix get rave reviews for being P&S.

Sep 20 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I always carry a Pentax Optio WP. Not sure how much it is now, but it was a hoot this summer, since you can take it under water (or on the beach and just rinse it off afterwards). It's small and it's 5MP. Since they just announced a newer version, the current one might be under $250.

Sep 20 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

From the Canon support site:
===========================================================
Category : Difficulties with camera operation
Description : Error messages and solutions
Error Code "Exx"

When a camera error occurs, an error code like "Exx" will be displayed, where the x's represent numbers.
Please refer to the items listed at the bottom of this page when the following error codes appear.
"E18": Lens unit/Lens barrier error
"E30" and "E50": CF card error

When an error code "Exx" other than those above appears, turn the camera off and then on to try taking pictures or replaying images again.

If this does not clear the error, or if an error code is displayed frequently, a camera malfunction may have occurred.
Make a note of the error code and contact the retailer where you purchased the camera or the nearest Canon service center. 
===========================================================
Since E25 is not on the list, it sounds like you have a major failure. Indeed, it maybe time to write it off.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Sep 20 05 06:21 pm Link