Forums > General Industry > Studio Rates?

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Im planning on having my own studio here in the next 3 or so months.  As a model, this is a great thing for me since I can now shoot at my own house, and have some photographers travel to me, etc.   If a photographer or other model wants to rent out my studio, or if a photographer is in town and needs a studio to rent... whats the going rate for studio time ?   Should the rate change if I provide backdrops, surroundings, etc? 
Any suggestions and thoughts would be helpful.
  Thanks!! big_smile

May 09 05 01:05 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

That's a great idea for a model to have her own studio.  smile  You can definately rent it out.  A lot of people look for studios to work in while traveling.  I would definately charge more if they're using your backdrops and props.  Because then you're going to have to clean the backdrops and clean the studio afterwards.  I'm not sure about rates, but you can check out rates on OMP and other modeling sites. 

May 09 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Thayer Photographic

Kentwood, Michigan, US

the only studio rental available in my area is for 25.00 per hour.  Which is too high for me, I can't afford to pay for model, travel expenses, provide wardrobe, and rent a studio.  I usually end up renting a hotel, where at least I can use the jacuzzi and have friends over afterword.

for me, as an amateur 10-15 an hour seems reasonable depending on what you provide, i'd expect to pay more for multiple backdrops, lights, etc.

May 09 05 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Chanti: 
Im planning on having my own studio here in the next 3 or so months.  As a model, this is a great thing for me since I can now shoot at my own house, and have some photographers travel to me, etc.   If a photographer or other model wants to rent out my studio, or if a photographer is in town and needs a studio to rent... whats the going rate for studio time ?   Should the rate change if I provide backdrops, surroundings, etc? 
  Thanks!! big_smile

There is more to this monster than just openning a space and saying it's a rental. You have insurance issues to that of all your utilites to repair of equipment, it's not as easy as you would wish it to be. Please! Do your homework and treat it as a business and remember when if you are pricing out rates....say to yourself what will it cost me for one month to open this space.

May 09 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Alex Alexander: 
There is more to this monster than just openning a space and saying it's a rental. You have insurance issues to that of all your utilites to repair of equipment, it's not as easy as you would wish it to be. Please! Do your homework and treat it as a business and remember when if you are pricing out rates....say to yourself what will it cost me for one month to open this space.

Add to this depreciation on equipment, utilities costs (lights eat up some heavy juice!), and cleaning, repairs, replacement.  Running air conditioning, if you're in a hot area geographically, can run up a bill fast too.  I've seen local small studios rent for as low as $35 an hour, some for $75 and hour, and then pro studios at a lot more.  A lot on pricing has to do with the type of space and equipment provided.  What type of lighting systems?  What sort of backdrops?  Things like seamless paper is a consumable. 

This is a great idea and so the replies should not be taken as discouraging.  On the contrary, hopefully you can use each of these as brainstorming to help cover all your bases and have a successful little venture out of it!

May 09 05 02:56 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

All these ideas are really helpful.  The more ideas and suggestions the better.  Thanks for everyones input on this!!! smile
My plans are to make the extra bedroom into a studio with different feels.  One wall will have a bed... since most glamour photogs like to do the lingerie, bed shots. One wall will probably be for backdrops, plain studio work, etc. While another wall will be for other edgy, fashiony type stuff.  Weird Chair, Bean Bags, etc. Im planning on having a fairly large room to do this in.  Theres alot of new photogs around my area but mostly all of them are forced to shoot outside since they do not own a studio and during the winter time,... not too many people that I know shoot in this area.   Just to give everyone a lil more info.  Thanks again for everyones help! big_smile

May 09 05 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I rent mine for about $100/hr - $500/day

May 09 05 03:44 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

$25 per hour is too much? Wow. Maybe it's because I've been in NY too long, but I can't imagine renting anythign more luxurious than a large cardboard box for $25/hour. And mind you, that box won't be in a very nice neighborhood.

Posted by Michael Thayer: 
the only studio rental available in my area is for 25.00 per hour.  Which is too high for me, I can't afford to pay for model, travel expenses, provide wardrobe, and rent a studio.  I usually end up renting a hotel, where at least I can use the jacuzzi and have friends over afterword.

for me, as an amateur 10-15 an hour seems reasonable depending on what you provide, i'd expect to pay more for multiple backdrops, lights, etc.

May 09 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Here, I pay $300 per day. the studio is pretty full service with multiple backdrops, props, strobe units, stands, umbrellas, steady on tungstens, Tv's as monitors, or just as a distraction with Xbox and DVD players and a cat 5 line tapping into their broadband next to the couch.

They also happen to be across the street from Costco, so, you know that rocks for convenience!

As for insurance, yeah, you want to check 2 things, with your homeowners insurance you want to start paying extra for "home studio" coverage. It's extra contents coverage for studio equipment you keep at home. It also provides for some limited liability and guest medical for people visiting your home to use the studio. You also want to get what's called a "CGL" or a Comprehensive General Liability policy. The rates are based upon your estimated gross receipts for the year. If you make less, the insurance company will refund you some money. If you make more, then you're going to owe them some money at the end of the year. 1 million dollars in CGL coverage is customary with an additional $5000 in guest medical. Best thing to do is contact a commercial insurance broker in your area, so they can farm out a few quotes for the rates for you.

May 09 05 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

MRP-Photography

Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

oh, by the way..I'm looking for a studio in NYC for rent and/ or a large empty appartement (Greenich Village etc..), any help is welcome. thanks

May 09 05 04:06 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Markus Richter: 
oh, by the way..I'm looking for a studio in NYC for rent and/ or a large empty appartement (Greenich Village etc..), any help is welcome. thanks

I know a reasonably priced studio in Brooklyn and less reasonably priced studio in Chelsea.

May 09 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

MRP-Photography

that's great, send me a link or adress please. Price is not very important, but not above $1000 per day. It must have very large rooms. A loft is okay too. I need it around July/Aug. thanks a lot theda.

May 09 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Full studios, will full light setup and props rent out for around $75 an hour, but for some reason, the plain empty studios charge way more.

May 09 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

MRP-Photography

$75/h including full light setup is a very good price.

May 09 05 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Ya, I would love to find a studio out here (San Diego) for $25 an hour.  Best deal I've found so far is a band rehearsal space, but of course there's no equipment.  I prefer to use my own anyway but I need to work on the backdrops.

May 09 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

We had looked into renting out the studio to other photographers, but the legal and insurance issues would force us to charge more than I think would be acceptable in the small market.  I have to clear $75/hr (3 hr minimum) to make it worthwhile (studio, backdrops, props, lights included), but adding the   extra insurance costs would easily double that cost. 

May 09 05 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted By Chanti:As a model, this is a great thing for me
since I can now shoot at my own house, and have some photographers travel to me, etc. If a photographer or other model wants to rent out my studio, or if a photographer is in town and needs a studio to rent... whats the going rate for studio time ? Should the rate change if I provide backdrops, surroundings, etc? Any suggestions and thoughts would be helpful.

Price it based on what is competitive in your area. Your location plays a big factor. A studio renting for $800 a day in Los Angeles might be $200 a day in Topeka, Kansas. Research local equivalents.

I noticed you said this will be a "home studio" ("I can now shoot at my own house") and in that case, researching prices may be be more difficult. It's harder to find out about places that are built in someone garage.

In that case, you may want to look more closely at your target market. Who will be renting your studio? What kind of price-point can those customers afford? Student photographers can't pay you $100/hour. Commercial photographers who have accounts with Nissan can pay you $100/hour ... but they won't need to rent a home studio. So, you need to find the pricepoint of your potential clients.

Best of luck. I once had a 4000sq.ft. loft studio. I miss it. It can be fun.

May 09 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

You can't afford the studio, but can afford a hotel room?

How much is the hotel room?  $10.00???

May 10 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Joe Tomasone: 

You can't afford the studio, but can afford a hotel room?

How much is the hotel room?  $10.00???

Here hotels are as low as $39.95 a day.
That means if the shoot is more than an hour, the hotel is cheaper.

Personally, I never use a studio, (home or otherwise) and it shows :-P

Seriously, Anytime you have a home business, or a business in general, you need to research the insurances.

For example, I used to have commercial property for a business.
I had to have $1,000,000 general liability just for the business. I had to have $10,000 medical liability, I also had to have a special policy to cover Front Glass and Parking Lot.

Also, Be careful of zoning regulations as well.
If you are zoned purely residential, and you have a home based business that requires any type of parking, then you are in violation of zoning and can get some pretty hefty fines. (this is based on the area I have been in, check your local regulations for definition)

Hope all that helps.

May 10 05 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Here hotels are as low as $39.95 a day.

Around here $39.95 won't get you a hotel room that a model would willingly walk into..   Come to think of it, I wouldn't either... LOL

May 10 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

I have one here I take a model to all the time... or um... sorry, wrong thread I think!!!

It depends on the area.
There are some here that are $200+ a night

May 10 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Chanti: 
  Thanks!! big_smile

Chanti,

My experience is studio rentals range from $25 to $50 an hour.  That usually gets me use of lights, sets, props, etc.  These range from small one room studios to larger 7-8 set studios.  Just my experience- not sure how your market varies.

May 10 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Norris Carden

Tullahoma, Tennessee, US

Posted by Chanti:
My plans are to make the extra bedroom into a studio with different feels.  One wall will have a bed... since most glamour photogs like to do the lingerie, bed shots. One wall will probably be for backdrops, plain studio work, etc. While another wall will be for other edgy, fashiony type stuff.  Weird Chair, Bean Bags, etc. Im planning on having a fairly large room to do this in.

That had better be one heck of a big room! Take into consideration the space necessary to separate the subject from the wall/background, then the distance between the camera and subject for a full length image at the minimum portrait focal length of 80mm (that would be functionally 120mm on most digi SLRs).

May 11 05 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted by Norris Carden: 

Posted by Chanti:
My plans are to make the extra bedroom into a studio with different feels.  One wall will have a bed... since most glamour photogs like to do the lingerie, bed shots. One wall will probably be for backdrops, plain studio work, etc. While another wall will be for other edgy, fashiony type stuff.  Weird Chair, Bean Bags, etc. Im planning on having a fairly large room to do this in.

That had better be one heck of a big room! Take into consideration the space necessary to separate the subject from the wall/background, then the distance between the camera and subject for a full length image at the minimum portrait focal length of 80mm (that would be functionally 120mm on most digi SLRs). 

I have just over 1,000 sq ft, which includes a computer/sitting area, bathroom and room for wardrobe and props, but really only 1 main shooting area, and a couple of painted walls I can shoot agains.  You're gonna need a big room in your house!

May 11 05 10:09 pm Link