Forums > Photography Talk > Digital monolights and generators

Photographer

Bermudian Sinny

Saint George, Saint George, Bermuda

jbdesign wrote:
Try a power conditioner.

http://pssl.com/csearchresults.tpl~UID~ … nditioners

The power conditioner sounds like the right approach to me. However, due to the current surges required by the digital strobes you may end up carrying around what amounts to a small Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) system!

I am planning to buy the same units. I have been please with the analog Travelites. I would love to know what the outcome is from Bowens. I will wait just a little longer before buying my generator now! yikes)

Good Luck!
SW

Feb 28 07 02:08 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

You could put a UPS between the generator and light...

Feb 28 07 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Just spoke with the tech people at the Honda USA headquarters. They've seen this issue before with other digital devices (even citing a digital clock!). In their wording, the inverter in the EU series cannot "read" the digital circuitry. According to them, nothing on the output of the generator will help. They recommended a different generator, such as an EM3800, which doesn't include an inverter. It handles a few more watts (3300 vice 3000) and amps (peak at 31 vice 25). It is a larger unit though, but has wheels and handles built in to allow it to move more easily (like a wheelbarrow). NOT something you'd try to put in your car trunk or high SUV - plan on a pickup or van for transporting the 200 lb beast. It's also louder -- 71db vice 58db. I'm going to try to test one within the next day or two.

In the long run we may end up going to all analog AC/DC lights rather than mixing the analog and digital options. I'll miss my remote control!

Feb 28 07 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

This response just in from Bowens UK:

Hello,

Firstly we would never recommend anyone tries to use any of our equipment on any petrol generator. This will and has voided any warranty that the units had on them. All of our units are designed to work from a correctly regulated mains power supply except of course the Gemini range which can run off a Bowens approved battery source. The Gemini range will probably work on such a small generator as it's a very simple analogue unit, the DX versions have a much more complicated internal system which reads the frequency and voltage being supplied from the source and if this is incorrect it will not allow itself to work. To be completely honest I'm quite surprised the Gemini heads you have still work correctly. If at some point either heads you have begin to function incorrectly this will be because you have used them on a petrol generator which cannot supply a perfectly regulated power source like mains can and may/probably have damaged the capacitors.

Hard to believe that a major manufacturer doesn't expect professional photographers to ever work outdoors (unless you're satisfied with the slow recycle and short life of a battery charge)...

Mar 02 07 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

I think I just saved MANY of you butt loads of cash by digging in deeper and finding out specs of a generator by getting a hold of the engineer of a certain model generator that is being sold at most COSTCO's across the nation.  (generator model: Alton AT04105D - 3000 watts)

https://www.giofoto.com/alton_AT04105D.jpg

I explained to the engineer my profession and what I wanted to use the generator for and needed to know if it produced a CLEAN or PERFECT SINE WAVE.  Guess what?  Got an email back from him.  Here is what he says:  1.) This gen produces a perfect sine wave current.  2.) The THD of this gen is ≤5%.

BINGO!  Guess for how much this puppy is?  $250

Here is my contribution.  smile

Apr 03 07 09:42 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

michaelGIORDANO wrote:
I explained to the engineer my profession and what I wanted to use the generator for and needed to know if it produced a CLEAN or PERFECT SINE WAVE.  Guess what?  Got an email back from him.  Here is what he says:  1.) This gen produces a perfect sine wave current.  2.) The THD of this gen is ≤5%.

BINGO!  Guess for how much this puppy is?  $250

But he conveniently forgot to tell you the voltage deviation.  How it is regulated.  THD is hardly a relevant parameter if it's below a certain level.

Apr 03 07 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

lll wrote:
But he conveniently forgot to tell you the voltage deviation.  How it is regulated.  THD is hardly a relevant parameter if it's below a certain level.

And you failed to explain the differences and what to look for.  Care to explain?

Below is the information on the unit:

Rated Output Power: 3000 watts
Max. Rated Power: 3500 watts
Rated Voltage: 120V/240V
Rated Current: 25A/12.5A
Rated Frequency: 60hz
Power Factor: COS Ø=1
DC Voltage: 12V
DC Current: 8.3A

Hope this helps.

Apr 03 07 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Looks pretty much like the Honda specs. If it works for you, that's great. But you don't mention whether or not you're using it to power digital or analog units...???

The issue appears to be in the digital circuitry's input requirements, and I presume the generator's ability to maintain a constant voltage (within the flash's tolerance) under wildly varying current drain (flash charge/recharge).

Wm

Apr 03 07 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Ok, electrician here smile

Getting clean power is usually expensive. A power conditioner with load balancing is $$$ and often big and heavy.

I see two possible answers: 1. battery powered lights, recharging the batteries as needed with the generator. This has the advantage of only requiring the generator part of the time. 2. Buy different lights, that will work off a genset.

You could always get a big truck-mounted diesel genset with a power conditioner that would run any lights you wanted, but that is six-figure territory.

Apr 03 07 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

michaelGIORDANO wrote:
And you failed to explain the differences and what to look for.  Care to explain?

Below is the information on the unit:

Rated Output Power: 3000 watts
Max. Rated Power: 3500 watts
Rated Voltage: 120V/240V
Rated Current: 25A/12.5A
Rated Frequency: 60hz
Power Factor: COS Ø=1
DC Voltage: 12V
DC Current: 8.3A

Already did many times in past posts.

Look for:
1) instantaneous current level (make sure it matches how much your light draws)
2) how voltage regulation is done (if it is made to drop at overcurrent, then digital lights won't work), and what is the tolerance of the light is, and whether it can tolerate brown-out that these generators and invertors would normally give at instantaneous current draw.
3) Generators generally don't react to instantaneous current too well if there is not enough regulation of sort.

That's about it.  The spec you quoted are all sustainable values, granted, those are pretty good spec, though.  smile  3000W at 110V, you can easily draw a sustained 27 Amps +.  It should drive the lights just fine if the output is really a true sinewave, but for a generator I would be surprised if it isn't...

Apr 03 07 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

I have the old Comet Power Packs CL-1250 (2 heads) and Norman 800 pack (1 fan cooled head). Basically I am sticking with analogs.  These lights have never failed me.....till the capacitors got old so I have had them replaced by Photronics in Houston (reasonable).  They have been all over with me.  I am more of a location and available light shooter...but I am going through some style changes.

Thanks for the contributions and input.  I hope I helped those that could use a generator.  I will be making a 3 walled cube out of gator board and one on top with acoustic foam glued to it on each panel/wall.  The open side faces away from the shoot as my sound supressor.  We used moving blankets on movie sets with 100 foot cords to do this.

Again, thanks for the insight, hope this helps a lot of shooters.

Apr 03 07 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

God love Norman packs - same engineer as built the ol' WWII tanks I think. ;-D  Yes, the power packs seem to be much less susceptible to the problem cited, and (so far) the analog units haven't been a problem. I just don't want to go back to analogs, now that I've gotten used to the "luxury" of a remote control to adjust the digital monolights. Guess there will always be room for analog.

Apr 03 07 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

Second Glance wrote:
God love Norman packs - same engineer as built the ol' WWII tanks I think. ;-D  Yes, the power packs seem to be much less susceptible to the problem cited, and (so far) the analog units haven't been a problem. I just don't want to go back to analogs, now that I've gotten used to the "luxury" of a remote control to adjust the digital monolights. Guess there will always be room for analog.

I am a bit of a purist....still have my old Pentax 67 and planning on getting another one.

Apr 03 07 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

lll wrote:

Sent them a message regarding this...

Here is what I got....

1.The engineer who designed the 04105D gen told me that the whole parameter had been adjusted well when the gen was produced.
2.There is an AVR device on the gen which can adjust the voltage by automatically.  So the customer doesn't need to adjust the voltage.
3.The customer can use the gen as long as the gen hasn't exceeded the rated power when it runs.

So there you go.  smile

Apr 04 07 09:03 am Link