Forums > General Industry > Underwater shoots: fashion or fetish.

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have seen a huge increase in these glamour underwater shots...and wonder, is it a trend, or something more. I know for a few photographers, it is clearly a fetish...but am seeing it so many places. Maybe I just haven't noticed it before, but I think the flow (lol) of underwater shoot demands has increased quite a bit (And yes, I am open to underwater shoots...sounds fun...if i am getting paid. Hard work.)

Oct 03 05 03:08 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

Doing a Underwater shoot and calling it a fetish.  Well I guess if you got a Cinder block chained to your foot it might be considered fetish to some dudes.  No me though.  So count me out.

However if you wanted to try it with and inflatable latex catsuit then Maybe we could test that out.  LMAO.

Oct 03 05 03:15 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I know it isn't your fetish, but I know some photographers do the same shoot with woman after woman, and that indicates they are working out some intense fantasy...that is what they want. Sexualization of a non sexual situation is fetish...or something like that...too tired to bring out dictionary.

Oct 03 05 03:34 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I suppose that would depend on how it's shot and why it's shot?  Underwater is just the location.

I don't think just because a photographer is shooting it over and over it's a fetish. Maybe the photographer just wants to play with the idea?

And, yeah, I moved this.  Now you have to comnplain, Lapis.

Oct 03 05 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

I still don't get the foot thing, so I can't speak on fetishes with authority. If underwater shots are considered fetish, then Howard Schatz is the grandmaster pimp. Nothing else quite like it.

http://www.howardschatz.com/portfolio/i … underwater

Oct 03 05 11:28 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Wow, I was just about to bring up Howard Schatz, too. 

-Jennifer Maria

Edited to add: I most certainly would like to delve into underwater photography soon.  Still working on water confidence, equipment, and finding models who can work underwater.

Oct 03 05 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Suicide Girl:
....underwater shoot with a model who does not
swim

Oct 03 05 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

There are people who have a fetish for ladies underwater (It's called a "Mermaid Fetish" for obvious reasons.)  There doesn't need to be bondage (ie. the cinderblock) involved, although most of the sites that do underwater fetish will slip in a bondage set or two (usually involving a "drowning peril") so as to attract other viewers to their site. 

There is a glamourous side to it as well, esp. with ladies with long hair as it flows and ebbs with the waves in the current.  Plus with the way the body moves in water, there is a certain etherial quality to the images. 

I'd do some photos like that except I don't have an underwater camera and a pool I can use regularly...

Oct 03 05 11:37 am Link

Model

Kataxenna

London, England, United Kingdom

An underwater shoot is something id love to do someday. A fetish is anything that sparks sexual arousal in a person. It can be anything....rubbing jam on your legs for eg. Doesn't matter how insane it sounds.

I agree with above though- I don't like the foot fetish thing either

Oct 05 05 05:52 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vegas Alien wrote:
If underwater shots are considered fetish, then Howard Schatz is the grandmaster pimp. Nothing else quite like it.

Thank you to exposing (pardon the pun) me to a new photographer...his portfolio and underwater shots are absolutely fantastic.

However, I am also happy that someone else knows what I am talking about in terms of mermaid fetish (now I have a name for it...) Yes, fetish is something that is not normally considered sexual that is sexualized by some people...One way I know someone has a fetish for something is they offer a lot of money for a shoot without any complaint...shooting this stuff is like a fix.

BTW, shooting underwater fetish and foot fetish are fun...if the photographers are fun. That is true of all photoshoots. (waits to get mail from foot/underwater fetishists willing to pay good money...)

Oct 05 05 11:14 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

theda wrote:
And, yeah, I moved this.  Now you have to comnplain, Lapis.

Okay, Theda...damn it, you are such a b*tch! Now what section did you move it from?

Oct 05 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Lapis,

If you like underwater nudes, you might enjoy the work of Elizabeth Opalenik who has done some amazing work.

www.opalenik.com  I hope that's the right link. If not google her.

Oct 05 05 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brad Garner Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

I never viewed the underwater shots I did as a fetish thing...It was more about the flow that could be achieved with the materials and the model's hair, etc...wind has a definite kind of flow to it, but water is completely different. You also have the aspect of being able to suspend the model in a seemingly weightless environment. Lots more possibilities visually than working in a "normal" environment. Although, the holding your breath part tends to become kinda tedious...especially when you get that rhythm going and you KNOW that perfect shot is coming up next, but you run out of breath...

And I didnt even know about Howard Schatz's work until after I'd done my shoots...sigh...so much for original ideas, huh?

Oct 05 05 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mermaid Hunter Films

Key West, Florida, US

i've been shooting underwater art and glamour for 30 years... call it what you want... but a woman looks her best when in, on and especially underwater.... btw, models - if your waterskills warrent - i fly in talent to key west from all over the world....

check out my work here and omp #3741

mermaid hunter

Oct 05 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Weldphoto wrote:
Lapis,

If you like underwater nudes, you might enjoy the work of Elizabeth Opalenik who has done some amazing work.

www.opalenik.com  I hope that's the right link. If not google her.

Wait, that's wrong. Sorry. But Opalenik is well worth looking at. Her mordancage work is amazing.

The person I meant is Connie Imboden and her site with her amazing underwater nudes etc. is
www.connieimboden.com

Sorry for the mix-up, but both women are well worth looking at.

Oct 05 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jayson Harrington

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Vegas Alien wrote:
I still don't get the foot thing, so I can't speak on fetishes with authority. If underwater shots are considered fetish, then Howard Schatz is the grandmaster pimp. Nothing else quite like it.

He also has the best pool for it....specialy developed pool water mix...so eyes can be open with the minimum if any ill effects....he also does not used scuba gear....from what i understand

Oct 05 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

Lapis wrote:
I know it isn't your fetish, but I know some photographers do the same shoot with woman after woman, and that indicates they are working out some intense fantasy...that is what they want. Sexualization of a non sexual situation is fetish...or something like that...too tired to bring out dictionary.

that "indicates"???? Wow, based on your other posts today you're obsessed with sex!!! You see sex in every photo it seems (not that thats a bad thing) but then you go on about photographers motiviations. Give it a rest...you can't presume to know their intentions..

Oct 05 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Studio200 wrote:

that "indicates"???? Wow, based on your other posts today you're obsessed with sex!!! You see sex in every photo it seems (not that thats a bad thing) but then you go on about photographers motiviations. Give it a rest...you can't presume to know their intentions..

You're right; fantasy may not be the best word here.  I would use "obsession", and I feel that it's important for people to strive to follow their obsessions (well..the legal ones, or at least the not too unhealthy ones).

Oct 05 05 05:02 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Studio200 wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I don't think any of your photos show sexuality at all...j/k.

You are correct, I cannot presume to know the intentions of others, and I do tend to be preoccupied about sex.
I can tell you that as a model, as a photographer, and as someone who has been  involved with many aspects of sexuality/the sex industry/psychology of sexuality/alternative sexual lifestyles that I have a pretty good idea of the 'intentions' of many people.

However, the lens I see through is of necessity filtered through my own experience. If you would like some references about my knowledge of peoples ulterior motives, you can definitely get some, as all my friends seem to be amazed by my intuition...which is really nothing more than an acute sense of observation.

Deviation is usually nothing more than a magnification of certain elements of sexuality. Sexuality is of its very nature the strongest urge after food and shelter...and it is the only urge that can be suppressed...however, that suppression never seems to work entirely.

Oct 05 05 05:34 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

also, I was kind of trying to make an obscure point that fetish and fashion have become in many ways interchangable. Latex...mainstream now, leather and spikes, no problem. These things are so popular that over 90% of the people wearing them probably have not fetishized them whatsoever.

I don't really care if the photographers are operating from sexual or non sexual avenues, I just find the underwater pictures to be fascinating...and as I have said twice before in this thread...I would love to do it...perhaps that means I have a fetish...

Oct 05 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Under H2O

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Great topic!  I do a search here for "underwater" here every once and a while and this is the most interesting thread by far.

Because a shoot is underwater does NOT make it fetish.  In fact, shooting underwater is very far from it, IMO.  It's ALL about beauty from what I've seen here, on Howard's site, Todd's, and others. For the most part, what I've seen all looks similar and is about capturing the flow of the man/woman, capturing movement, mood, and weightlessness (sp?).

I'm just now warming to underwater model photography and want to explore it further.  To date, I'm mostly an underwater nature photographer.  If anyone's in Texas and would like to do an underwater shoot, please drop me a line.

Cheers
James

Oct 09 05 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Lapis wrote:
Sexuality is of its very nature the strongest urge after food and shelter...and it is the only urge that can be suppressed...however, that suppression never seems to work entirely.

You can suppress hunger. 

You can also suppress urges to urinate.  Or deficate...  of course, you didn't mention those but they are also life urges (flip side of the hunger urge)
Not as classy though.

cheers!

Oct 10 05 05:06 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Nello Ryan wrote:
You can suppress hunger. 

You can also suppress urges to urinate.  Or deficate...  of course, you didn't mention those but they are also life urges (flip side of the hunger urge)
Not as classy though.

cheers!

Well, you can only supress those for som long before you drop dead or get violently ill.

Oct 10 05 09:35 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Another photography arena I've wanted to jump into.

But calling it a fetish?

I was shooting a water polo game a few years ago and became tragic when the horses drowned.

Guess they should have used Sea Horses.. wink

Oct 10 05 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

C R Photography wrote:
Another photography arena I've wanted to jump into.

But calling it a fetish?

I was shooting a water polo game a few years ago and became tragic when the horses drowned.

Guess they should have used Sea Horses.. wink

LOL!

I guess to most people it's not a fetish, but there are websites out there that feature ladies swimming underwater, aimed at the fetish consumer.  smile 

Of course, anything can be a fetish...

Oct 10 05 11:47 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

Lapis wrote:
I have seen a huge increase in these glamour underwater shots...and wonder, is it a trend, or something more. I know for a few photographers, it is clearly a fetish...but am seeing it so many places. Maybe I just haven't noticed it before, but I think the flow (lol) of underwater shoot demands has increased quite a bit (And yes, I am open to underwater shoots...sounds fun...if i am getting paid. Hard work.)

I have done 4 underwater shoots, not so much glamour but artistic nude.
It is very challenging, but rewarding. CITYTV flew in from Canada and filmed an underwater photography documentary I am in.
Kisses,
MEL
ps LAPIS I love your style!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alberich/2 … 4383789106

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzucLPM8XP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTbNLBpdkuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_l877DP8Ns

Kisses,
MEL

Nov 30 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Fashion underwater? W Korea May 2006:

https://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2204/may12006qv1.jpg

More here:

http://community.livejournal.com/foto_d … tml#cutid1

Nov 30 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

Saint John wrote:
Fashion underwater? W Korea May 2006:

https://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2204/may12006qv1.jpg

More here:

http://community.livejournal.com/foto_d … tml#cutid1

Awesome work, it feels so weird wearing gowns/dresses underwater, I know.
Kisses,
MEL

Dec 01 06 11:21 am Link