Forums > Photography Talk > Life of a Canon Digital Rebel 300D

Photographer

lasphotos

Oakland, California, US

I have had my 300D for a year and a half and put at least 30,000 shots on it.  It failed last night.  I only get about a quarter of the screen (horizontal) after the shot is taken and it is hard to focus.  Its off to be repaired and was wondering what the life of these babies are?

I had used an old sunpak flash in manual mode and it worked fine, so I doubt that using the sunpak and using my Alien Bees had anything to do with the malfunction.  Could it be I just wore out the damm thing?  I am upgrading the to Rebel XT on Friday.  Thanks for any insight.

Oct 03 05 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I don't know about the Rebel, but the 10D is rated at 50,000 shots.  Now, that means the shutter might fail at 20,000 or 100,000, but the average expectation is 50,000.

(I slipped by 50,000 about a month ago, so I'm expecting it to go any day now...but hoping it doesn't.)

Oct 03 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

StephenBrakePhotography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Man if ya put 30K images on it in a year and a half wouldnt it make a little sense to upgrade to a 20D forget the repair and get twice the life out of it? I dunno just a thought

Oct 03 05 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

lasphotos

Oakland, California, US

SFConnected Photography wrote:
Man if ya put 30K images on it in a year and a half wouldnt it make a little sense to upgrade to a 20D forget the repair and get twice the life out of it? I dunno just a thought

Yup, but repair is covered by the extended warranty so now I will have two rebels!

Oct 03 05 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Any guess-timates on the cost to replace a 10D shutter? Of course, I'm assuming that this 50,000 capture figure represent the shutter-life and not the sensor-life. Right?

Oct 03 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

lasphotos

Oakland, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I don't know about the Rebel, but the 10D is rated at 50,000 shots.  Now, that means the shutter might fail at 20,000 or 100,000, but the average expectation is 50,000.

(I slipped by 50,000 about a month ago, so I'm expecting it to go any day now...but hoping it doesn't.)

where did you get that value for the 10D?  Just called canon tech support and they have no data on the 300D, 350D, or 20D on lifespan.  Only data is for the new 5D, and the Mark I and II, but I did not ask what that life span was.

Oct 03 05 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Wow...my 10D passed 90,000

Oct 03 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

StephenBrakePhotography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

on the  1D and 1DS they test the shutter to 200,000 and 100,000 on the 5D i believe

Oct 03 05 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jerrold

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BTW, how do you even access the counter on Canon cameras???

Oct 03 05 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

lasphotos

Oakland, California, US

Jerrold wrote:
BTW, how do you even access the counter on Canon cameras???

The way I figure it out is to set the counter for continous numbering.  On the digital rebel 300D when you reach 10,000 it resets and starts at 1.  So in my case you keep track if you will, everytime it turns over.

Oct 03 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Craig Thomson wrote:

Wow Craig,

you're as prolific as I am. I've had my 10D for a little over 2 years and I zeroed continuous numbering out 9 times - and still kicking. Haven't had a single problem with it.

Mark

Oct 03 05 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

V Jeero

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jerrold wrote:
Any guess-timates on the cost to replace a 10D shutter? Of course, I'm assuming that this 50,000 capture figure represent the shutter-life and not the sensor-life. Right?

I still have the 10D, and the shutter crapped out at about 112k shots.  Right in the middle of a dance routine I was being paid to shoot.  I had to run back to the office borrow my boss's S2 and go back and shoot the rest.

I have since purchased a 1dmkii.  The 10D is my backup camera.  The fleet of 10Ds out there should either start being discarded en-mass, or else repaired.  Mine cost $300 roughly.  Seems Canon uses a "shutter assembly" for the shutter in the 10D that came from a less expensive film camera.

Anyway, the 1series, film or digital, have shutters built to withstand many more uses.

Oct 03 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

How does the shutter life compare for the Nikon DSLR's?

Oct 03 05 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Ben Allen wrote:
I still have the 10D, and the shutter crapped out at about 112k shots.  Right in the middle of a dance routine I was being paid to shoot.  I had to run back to the office borrow my boss's S2 and go back and shoot the rest.

I have since purchased a 1dmkii.  The 10D is my backup camera.  The fleet of 10Ds out there should either start being discarded en-mass, or else repaired.  Mine cost $300 roughly.  Seems Canon uses a "shutter assembly" for the shutter in the 10D that came from a less expensive film camera.

Anyway, the 1series, film or digital, have shutters built to withstand many more uses.

Ben,

I would have upgraded my 10D a few months ago but since MkII was introduced in Feb 2004 I though I will give it a little wait believing Canon will sure come with new version of their flagship. Well, they introduced 5D which doesn't seem like the way to go for me. I've heard there is a new MkII also with some minor mods. Anyway, my question is, since you have gone from 10D to MkII, have you noticed improvement in picture? 10D is known for its occasional softness. How would you describe the change?

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Oct 03 05 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

V Jeero

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

MarkMarek wrote:

Ben,

I would have upgraded my 10D a few months ago but since MkII was introduced in Feb 2004 I though I will give it a little wait believing Canon will sure come with new version of their flagship. Well, they introduced 5D which doesn't seem like the way to go for me. I've heard there is a new MkII also with some minor mods. Anyway, my question is, since you have gone from 10D to MkII, have you noticed improvement in picture? 10D is known for its occasional softness. How would you describe the change?

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Actually, the 1dmkii is softer out of camera than the 10D.  Very noticable.  Now everyone don't come and pour your prune juice on me...  Yes, you can enhance the image with in-camera sharpening.  Of course you can do that. 

So is there a terrific improvement in image quality?  Not that I noticed.  but that's not why I bought the 1dmkii.  If you want a huge improvement in image quality, diffuse your light, add fill-in, and expose for the highlights.  Get a meter.  smile

I do appreciate having a larger RAW file to process, not that I shoot RAW all that often.  Storing gobs and gobs of RAW files can be a headache.  I mainly bought the 1dmkii because it has an enormous buffer, is heavier, built stronger.  I have the 1Vhs, and I love the way it feels and responds.  It was a no-brainer for me to get another 1series camera. 

That said, if you go from a 10 or 20D to a 1dmkii, you'll probably experience quite a bit of let-down with the menus of the 1series cameras.  You can't just push one button, let go and spin knobs and dials.  You have to keep buttons held down.  The most annoying is when you're shooting using a Kelvin temperature for your temperature.  It requires you to reach over with the thumb on your left hand and push a button nearly in the middle of the camera, while turning the switch with your pointer finger of your right hand.  That's a bit of a stretch for me.

But I DO find the camera extremely well suited for how much work I give it.  Hope that wasn't too much to read.

Oct 03 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Luis Solorzano wrote:

Yup, but repair is covered by the extended warranty so now I will have two rebels!

And what is wrong with having two cameras? i cannot imagine shooting without a backup
Bob

Oct 04 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

My rebel did as well and it just died bout a week ago. I had actually given it to the wife and was keeping it as a back up cam. We're going to ship it off to canon tomorrow, if it's more then 200.00 to repair, we're just gonna get her the xt and I'm going to upgrade from 20d to 5d and keep the 20d as my working spare, as I really don't like the 20d

Oct 04 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Edo Tsoar

CANOGA PARK, California, US

I just had my 10D's shutter fixed.  It was only $200 at Canon.  And they clean the sensor to, so it's not to bad.

Oct 05 05 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

How come we have never had to ask how many frames have been shot with  a film Camera? But now with a used digital camera, you have to ask it.

I think it is planned failure to get you to buy a new camera every few years or to get the repair revenue.

Dave

Oct 05 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Dave Mullins wrote:
How come we have never had to ask how many frames have been shot with  a film Camera? But now with a used digital camera, you have to ask it.

I think it is planned failure to get you to buy a new camera every few years or to get the repair revenue.

Dave

Digital shooters normally shoot at much higher rates than a film shooter because they don't have those pesky film and processing costs to deal with. A typical small-scale film shoot might be 36 or 72 frames; digital could easily be several hundred.

I am sure that if anyone managed to hit those six-figure values with a film camera, the same thing could happen. I recently lost the shutter in a 25-year Minolta XG-7. In all that time, it only saw about 6 years of regular use. I would estimate no more than 10,000 shutter cycles in its lifetime. It is possible that long idle periods were a contributing factor.

Keep this in mind when describing digital as being "free" when compared to film.

Oct 05 05 08:29 am Link

Photographer

meng

San Francisco, California, US

Luis,
I had a 300D for just a little over a year, maybe got 10K shots on it.  Then the exact same thing happened.  It wouldn't focus, or the picture was half blocked.
It looked like a pin inside the shutter which pulls up the mirror was broken.
I sent it back to Canon, and they said it was not covered under warrantee.
Got it fixed, got a 20D in the meantime, and the 300D is just a backup.
That's my only complaint I have of Canon so far...

-Martin

Oct 05 05 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

rp_photo wrote:

Digital shooters normally shoot at much higher rates than a film shooter because they don't have those pesky film and processing costs to deal with. A typical small-scale film shoot might be 36 or 72 frames; digital could easily be several hundred.

I am sure that if anyone managed to hit those six-figure values with a film camera, the same thing could happen. I recently lost the shutter in a 25-year Minolta XG-7. In all that time, it only saw about 6 years of regular use. I would estimate no more than 10,000 shutter cycles in its lifetime. It is possible that long idle periods were a contributing factor.

Keep this in mind when describing digital as being "free" when compared to film.

good point but i have no idea how many rolls my canon ae1 has seen. its never been in a shop and im pretty sure its about as old as me. i know that when i first started out with that cam it saw about 40 rolls per months for atleast 3years straight.

Oct 05 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

My 300D (my first dSLR) crapped out at 3000 actuations, in about a month. Canon fixed it, of course, but it got me thinking - I have a 70s Pentax, and a late 80s Minolta in perfectly serviceable condition; I've not once even considered the shutter lifespan. It then occurred to me that I've not taken 3000 pictures in a month with any film camera in my life. For my limited commercial return, that would be a bottomless money pit of film and processing.

Yes, apparently I had been thinking of digital as "free". You can bet I started to respect the shutter button a little more after that, though. I now regard digital as "practically free". wink

Dec 08 05 06:23 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

From what I've seen when I used to participate more in a forum exclusively for 300D shooters, the 300D has two main "death windows." If it's going to fail, the overwhelming odds are that it will fail within a month of purchase due to some basic manufacturing defect. This was fairly common on first release but they seem to have it pretty well dialed in now. The other window seems to be right at around 10K clicks. A lot of the first-run cameras had shutter problems around that point.

My 300D, which was made more than a year after the model was announced, is currently right at 15K clicks and aside from a very occasional artifact that looks like some sort of JPEG recording error, is operating normally. Since I made it past the 10K window, I have absolutely no data which gives me any indication as to how long it will last. I believe that the 10D and the 300D use the same shutter assembly, which would indicate that it should be rated at a 50,000 click MTBF.

M

Dec 08 05 10:40 am Link