Forums > General Industry > Tearsheets

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

I seem to be confused here. I see people posting the title tearsheet on pics that do not seem to be tearsheets at all. So what is the def? What is a tearsheet?

May 11 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by LaMarco Photo: 
I seem to be confused here. I see people posting the title tearsheet on pics that do not seem to be tearsheets at all. So what is the def? What is a tearsheet?

Traditionally termed because it was "torn from a magazine," a tearsheet is a copy (or original) of published work.  In this computer age, this may include material that is published online for a commercial purpose.  Having yourself featured as "model of the minute" at some girly website, of course, would not qualify.  Well, maybe online.  :-P

May 11 05 05:36 pm Link

Model

Myla Chenoa

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yikes, don't tell me anyone would consider being featured on an internet site as a tearsheet.

May 11 05 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by Myla Chenoa: 
Yikes, don't tell me anyone would consider being featured on an internet site as a tearsheet.

My thinking as well.. OK, least I am not alone I feel better now. smile

Also, thanks for the insight Austin Models & Talent Agency
You guys must rock hard.

May 11 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

TEARsheet. from a magazine or paper you can tear the sheet out. web stuff is NOT a tear sheet. 

May 11 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Posted by Capt Stu Beans: 
TEARsheet. from a magazine or paper you can tear the sheet out. web stuff is NOT a tear sheet.   

Completely agree, however if you sold a photo to American Airlines and they for some reason only used it in an online ad then I would consider this a web-tear. At the same time it isn't likely a large company will use a photo for online purposes only, at least none I have seen.

This also goes for magazines, so having your picture up online for the hometown hotties contest wouldn't count either. For a model I think it would be acceptable in print but not as much for a photographer unless you get paid or have some type of photo credit.

The funniest tears I have seen is a model/photographer/etc. list their comp card as tear sheet smile

May 11 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

just becasue the terms have not kept up with the times, doesn't make an "internet tear" any less valuable...

i have seen models use images from local nightlife magazines, that they did TFP..are you suggesting that they are more valuable then a featured spot on maxim online?
or amazon.com?

May 11 05 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

It's a digital age.  I have a model who was paid $1200 for a job where the images only appear on the client's website (corporate business site).  You can bet that model includes copies of that in their book.  I have another being considered right now by a game designer and which will only appear in their online advertising.  If he gets it, we'll want that in his book as a tear as well. 

The term "tear" goes back to before computers and digital publishing.  Essentially, a tearsheet is a copy/example of published work.  Electronic publishing has become recognized as legitimate work that is published.  As ANT stated, of course, this must all be considered within reason.

May 11 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

*Mike D*

Los Angeles, California, US

I love the on the bed in the hotel room shot by their girl friend where they call it a tear sheet...Im not kidding at all  about that...Or the fake playboy cover that I see all over the place...You can tell when its real cause its a bad quality scaned from a sheet photo....These high gloss fake tear sheets are a joke..Im sorry Im really having a great day today (smile)

May 11 05 08:29 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I see so many fake tear sheets my head spins. If it's not published in print (NOT self-published), I don't consider it a tear. Although truthfully, a large commerical web-only job is just as much of a boone in this day and age. What does not count are those girl pin-up sites, but people like tyo use them anyway, as if to suggest there's any sense of accomplishment to be gained from being on sluttygirltojerkoofto.com

May 12 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by theda: 
I see so many fake tear sheets my head spins. If it's not published in print (NOT self-published), I don't consider it a tear. Although truthfully, a large commerical web-only job is just as much of a boone in this day and age. What does not count are those girl pin-up sites, but people like tyo use them anyway, as if to suggest there's any sense of accomplishment to be gained from being on sluttygirltojerkoofto.com

did you spell that website right? im having a hard time finding it...

May 12 05 12:49 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

sorry... sluttygirltojerkoffto.com

I DID spell it wrong. Let me know if my feature is up yet so I can put it on my resume.

May 12 05 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by theda: 
sorry... sluttygirltojerkoffto.com

I DID spell it wrong. Let me know if my feature is up yet so I can put it on my resume.

Hey, I own that site, shut up!

May 12 05 05:19 am Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by *Mike D*: 
I love the on the bed in the hotel room shot by their girl friend where they call it a tear sheet...Im not kidding at all  about that...Or the fake playboy cover that I see all over the place...You can tell when its real cause its a bad quality scaned from a sheet photo....These high gloss fake tear sheets are a joke..Im sorry Im really having a great day today (smile)

YEs, yes, and um yes. This is what I am seeing. Also seeing models with webstuff as well. Thanks to all for adjusting that in my head. smile

May 12 05 10:23 am Link