Model

Zandrea

Miami, Florida, US

I have blondeee hair and on saterday im planning to make a huge afro for a photo shoot. I plan to use soft rollers all over my head then sleep in it and wake up tease and use hair spray. Anyone know of a better way of making a fro? or is this the best for me?

Mar 21 07 10:58 pm Link

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

I have curly and thick hair. In my case, I just have to tease the roots of my hair a lot (head upside-down works best) using a lot of hairsprays. If your hair is thick enough, I suppose you could curl it in tight coils and do the same. To tease hair, use a plastic comb and, holding a strand of hair, go rapidly back and forth with the comb.

Note that on very humid days, my hair curls much more. If yours do, you are in luck! However, if your hair is fine and limpy, the brushing probably won't hold...

Mar 21 07 11:09 pm Link

Model

Zandrea

Miami, Florida, US

my hair is very fine and limp but it is used to a soft curl with rollers. I am in tucson so we have dry air.

Mar 21 07 11:15 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

Eloise wrote:
I have curly and thick hair. In my case, I just have to tease the roots of my hair a lot (head upside-down works best) using a lot of hairsprays. If your hair is thick enough, I suppose you could curl it in tight coils and do the same. To tease hair, use a plastic comb and, holding a strand of hair, go rapidly back and forth with the comb.

Note that on very humid days, my hair curls much more. If yours do, you are in luck! However, if your hair is fine and limpy, the brushing probably won't hold...

I think back combing might work for her.  It would give a little bit of lift to even really fine hair.  It does with mine at least. 

I've froed my hair before by doing tiny braids while my hair was wet then lettng it dry before taking the braids out and then brushed and back combed.  Also works with a tiny crimper.

Mar 21 07 11:24 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

talk to roshar he knows the trick.

Mar 22 07 08:40 am Link

Photographer

iklektikfiks

London, England, United Kingdom

errrr, have some african genes implanted?! not sure they'll take by the weekend though...lol
seriously though, why not just buy a wig? they can be great (ive shot them) and you dont need the stress of hoping your hair doesnt do what you wannit too...and hey, black girls use em too sometimes so if its good enough for them......

Mar 22 07 08:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

T

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Yeah go with a wig I see blonde afro wigs in the beauty supply stores all the time like 30 bucks.

Mar 22 07 08:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Louise Coad

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

This one takes aaaaages, but it does work, even on limp hair...
1.Spray your hair with a curling spray, L'oreal's Pli works for this
2.Open up some bobby pins nice and wide (so they're gaping like mouths)
3.Section your hair into manageable sections, into quarter-sections or something like that
4.Take a really small section, get an opened-up bobby pin, and wind your section through the bobby pin, like a zig-zag. Make sure it's nice and tight, or it doesn't work as well - and the smaller the section the more afro you'll get!
5.Push a bobby pin down the centre to hold it together
6.Use a hair-dryer to get it to set really quickly, a setting hood will make it done faster if you have access to one.
Then pull out all the pins, backcomb if you need/want to, set with hairspray and voila!
Again this takes awhile, if you need it done quickly ask someone to help. Or just use really really small rollers.
PS Sorry bout the wall of text!

Mar 22 07 11:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Louise Coad wrote:
This one takes aaaaages, but it does work, even on limp hair...
1.Spray your hair with a curling spray, L'oreal's Pli works for this
2.Open up some bobby pins nice and wide (so they're gaping like mouths)
3.Section your hair into manageable sections, into quarter-sections or something like that
4.Take a really small section, get an opened-up bobby pin, and wind your section through the bobby pin, like a zig-zag. Make sure it's nice and tight, or it doesn't work as well - and the smaller the section the more afro you'll get!
5.Push a bobby pin down the centre to hold it together
6.Use a hair-dryer to get it to set really quickly, a setting hood will make it done faster if you have access to one.
Then pull out all the pins, backcomb if you need/want to, set with hairspray and voila!
Again this takes awhile, if you need it done quickly ask someone to help. Or just use really really small rollers.
PS Sorry bout the wall of text!

I had seen this done before but never knew how they held it together.

Mar 23 07 02:22 am Link

Model

Knows how to Pose

Olathe, Kansas, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
talk to roshar he knows the trick.

I know that's right!! He sure did hook me up!!

https://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3284/untitledwa1.jpg

Mar 23 07 02:51 am Link

Photographer

YZE Photography

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I support the wig idea. Every other option is far too time consuming.

Mar 23 07 03:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

Make-Up by Valerie

New York, New York, US

Another thing you could try is sectioning off your hair, spraying with curling spray and using a crimping iron, go through one section at a time until you've done the whole head. Once you brush that out you'll have more hair than you ever thought you were capable of. Then back comb and hair spray (lots and lots of hair spray) and you should be good to go!

Mar 23 07 07:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Stephen Bates

Orlando, Florida, US

$10 wig at the party shop
like in my avatar.
they had blonde, brown, and black too

Mar 24 07 04:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Found this online....

What you need:
To get this look, you'll need several hair pins, a spray bottle filled with water, and some stiff hair spray.

How to do it:
First, unbend several hair pins (at least 15). Separate the hair into 1/4-inch sections, and dampen hair by misting it with the water bottle. Working with one 1/4-inch section, twist the hair down to the root; place an unbent hair pin at the root; twist the sectioned hair around 1 leg of the hair pin; and close the hairpin around the section. Continue all around the head, until all hair is pinned. Let the hairpins sit in for 30 minutes; then unbend the hair pins, finger out the sections, and spray at the roots along the hair shaft with heavy duty hair spray.

Mar 27 07 09:09 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Yeah for fro..

tongue

Mar 27 07 09:29 am Link

Model

Adieu

I had my hair in cornrows for a couple days. When I took them out, I had a Christina Aguilera Moulin Rouge 'fro (or Dee Snider).

https://www.artberry.nl/christina_aguilera-moulin_rouge-mei_2006.jpg

https://www.linternaute.com/musique/diaporama-image/christina-aguilera/image/6.jpg

https://www.maximum-ink.com/i2/dee-snider.jpg

Mar 27 07 11:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

UK_Makeup_Artist

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

I have done this before too but I use a metal tail comb.

1 Spray with a curling spray
2.  Take small sections, wrap around the metal tail of the comb (a screwdriver will work too!)
3. Take your ceramic straigtners and grip the hair that is wrapped around the comb for 30 seconds.
4. Release and move on to next section
5.when its all curled, use a paddle brush to brush the curls apart and BANG! instant big hair!

Mar 27 07 11:53 am Link