Forums > General Industry > Black models and booty hangin out

Model

Brittini Ricci

Edwards, California, US

How come everytime I see a black model its always about the booty?we are Beautiful all over not just the butt turn it around and change it a little you guys you know what Iam sayin!!!!!!!!!

May 12 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

You tell me - all of your pictures are either your lips or your breasts. How is that any different? (hint: you accentuate the body features that you find most flattering/commercial on yourself)

May 12 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Brittini Ricci: 
How come everytime I see a black model its always about the booty?we are Beautiful all over not just the butt turn it around and change it a little you guys you know what Iam sayin!!!!!!!!!

It's brought on  by not only us as photographers, but also the models thinking that this sells..... from hip hop to a society driven by this idea that black female bootys are a sexual tool. Trust me I know somewhat about these issues haveing two teenage daughters that deal with it daily in their schools. So it's taking note of these sightings and saying no to it.....remove it from music video or rappers singing about "Babe's Got Butt". So it's not only us as photographers......

May 12 05 12:25 pm Link

Model

Angel Durelle

Memphis, Alabama, US

yeah i agree with what you're saying. in my opinion, having a shot or 2 displaying ur butt is fine, but have some variety. but i also think its because of how the media protrays us as well.

May 12 05 12:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Alex Alexander: 
remove it from music video or rappers singing about "Babe's Got Butt".

Awww...

It's "Baby Got Back"

May 12 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

Posted by Angel Durelle: 
yeah i agree with what you're saying. in my opinion, having a shot or 2 is displaying ur butt is fine, but have some variety. but i also think its because of how the media protrays us as well.

amen

May 12 05 12:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

"Shake that money maker..."

:::: Reese does a stupid white girl dance :::::

May 12 05 12:32 pm Link

Model

Angel Durelle

Memphis, Alabama, US

Posted by Reese, VA . MUA: 

LOL
i wanna do the white girl dance with reese too!! lol

May 12 05 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

Posted by Angel Durelle: 

LOL

click...

May 12 05 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

not just the butt turn it around and change it a little you guys you know what Iam sayin!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I don't know what you're saying.  Please explain.  lol

May 12 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

not just the butt turn it around and change it a little you guys you know what Iam sayin!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I don't know what you're saying.  Please explain.  lol

Venuto sulla scossa del bambino quel booty nero per me

May 12 05 12:43 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Does the stupid white girl dance by any chance involve the cabbage patch in any way, shape or form?

May 12 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

Posted by theda: 
Does the stupid white girl dance by any chance involve the cabbage patch in any way, shape or form?

You should of been at this club lastnight..you could of seen me do my white boyz dance after 6 chocolate martinis......ain't  nothing more funny than me dancing

May 12 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

Sorry guys, I just could not resist from posting this..LOL
In the words of Sir-Mix-Alot

"Baby Got Back"

[Intro]
Oh, my, god. Becky, look at her butt.
It is so big. *scoff* She looks like,
one of those rap guys' girlfriends.
But, y'know, who understands those rap guys? *scoff*
They only talk to her, because,
she looks like a total prostitute, 'kay?
I mean, her butt, is just so big. *scoff*
I can't believe it's just so round, it's like,
out there, I mean - gross. Look!
She's just so ... black!

[Sir Mix-a-Lot]
I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, wanna pull out your tongue
'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I wanna get wit'cha
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But with that butt you got makes me feel so horny
Ooh, Rump-o'-smooth-skin
You say you wanna get in my Benz?
Well, use me, use me
'Cause you ain't that average groupy
I've seen them dancin'
The hell with romancin'
She's sweat, wet,
Got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette
I'm tired of magazines
Sayin' flat butts are the thing
Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back
So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
Has your girlfriend got the butt? (Hell yeah!)
Tell 'em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
Shake that healthy butt!
Baby got back!

(LA face with Oakland booty)
Baby got back!

[Sir Mix-a-Lot]
I like 'em round, and big
And when I'm throwin' a gig
I just can't help myself, I'm actin' like an animal
Now here's my scandal
I wanna get you home
And ugh, double-up, ugh, ugh
I ain't talkin' bout Playboy
'Cause silicone parts are made for toys
I want 'em real thick and juicy
So find that juicy double
Mix-a-Lot's in trouble
Beggin' for a piece of that bubble
So I'm lookin' at rock videos
Watchin' these bimbos walkin' like hoes
You can have them bimbos
I'll keep my women like Flo Jo
A word to the thick soul sistas, I wanna get with ya
I won't cuss or hit ya
But I gotta be straight when I say I wanna *fuck*
Til the break of dawn
Baby got it goin' on
A lot of simps won't like this song
'Cause them punks like to hit it and quit it
And I'd rather stay and play
'Cause I'm long, and I'm strong
And I'm down to get the friction on
So, ladies! {Yeah!} Ladies! {Yeah}
If you wanna role in my Mercedes {Yeah!}
Then turn around! Stick it out!
Even white boys got to shout
Baby got back!

Baby got back!
Yeah, baby ... when it comes to females, Cosmo ain't got nothin'
to do with my selection. 36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3".

[Sir Mix-a-Lot]
So your girlfriend rolls a Honda, playin' workout tapes by Fonda
But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda
My anaconda don't want none
Unless you've got buns, hun
You can do side bends or sit-ups,
But please don't lose that butt
Some brothers wanna play that "hard" role
And tell you that the butt ain't gold
So they toss it and leave it
And I pull up quick to retrieve it
So Cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that!
'Cause your waist is small and your curves are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'
To the beanpole dames in the magazines:
You ain't it, Miss Thing!
Give me a sista, I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her
Some knucklehead tried to dis
'Cause his girls are on my list
He had game but he chose to hit 'em
And I pull up quick to get wit 'em
So ladies, if the butt is round,
And you want a triple X throw down,
Dial 1-900-MIXALOT
And kick them nasty thoughts
Baby got back!

(Little in the middle but she got much back) [4x]

May 12 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Que?  lol

May 12 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Que?  lol

enough italian and spanish..were in the US damnit...

May 12 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

How about ebonics?  That's a US language right?  lol

May 12 05 01:30 pm Link

Model

Angel Durelle

Memphis, Alabama, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

How about ebonics?  That's a US language right?  lol

if someone starts speaking in ebonics, doug won't be the only one saying we're in the US, i never could understand that crap lol

May 12 05 01:51 pm Link

Model

Brittini Ricci

Edwards, California, US

What Iam saying is black models have some  variety everyone thinks black models booty looks good and sexy but most of them have just pics of that booty on everypic like thats all they are.

May 12 05 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

What Iam saying is black models have some  variety everyone thinks black models booty looks good and sexy but most of them have just pics of that booty on everypic like thats all they are.

Brittini...not to make light or joke about this issue you brought up..yes I have notice it also. So until we get the media to understand what   is so wrong it's hard to change unless we all do it one person at a time

May 12 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

ok..i just went to your page..forgive the observation, but you show no diversity in your profile..(rule of thumb for a commercial portfolio, no more then one image from any one "look"..maybe two, if they are exceptional...quality more then quanity..) so start with your own profile..otherwise you are contributing to your own one dimensional generalizations.

May 12 05 02:30 pm Link

Model

Simply Sonya

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I agree w/ Alex - its what society has put in our heads through music (ie the lyrics, the videos, etc...)  Being a model with big hips - a lot of photogs want to shoot me like that but I chose not to let it be my only look!  I have a few because the gear I wore complimented that area very well but I love fashion & I love clothes so you will not always see my "backside"... (lol).

May 12 05 02:36 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

ok..i just went to your page..forgive the observation, but you show no diversity in your profile..(...quality more then quanity..) so start with your own profile...

I kind of agree with Doug, so I'm chopping up his quote to the parts I agree with.  You are a drop dead gorgeous model, I've got nothing about that, but the pictures in your portfolio seem to be lacking.  Two of them almost seem like they are the same picutre posted twice.  You've got some quality pics there, but having so many of the same shot with just slightly different zooms drowns out the good ones.  I'm really not trying to be mean or the Grand Poobah of Modeling or anything, just pointing out some things to make you _better_.

May 12 05 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by k4tj3: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

ok..i just went to your page..forgive the observation, but you show no diversity in your profile..(...quality more then quanity..) so start with your own profile...

I kind of agree with Doug, so I'm chopping up his quote to the parts I agree with.  You are a drop dead gorgeous model, I've got nothing about that, but the pictures in your portfolio seem to be lacking.  Two of them almost seem like they are the same picutre posted twice.  You've got some quality pics there, but having so many of the same shot with just slightly different zooms drowns out the good ones.  I'm really not trying to be mean or the Grand Poobah of Modeling or anything, just pointing out some things to make you _better_.

constructive criticism is not negativity...
i hope she takes it in the spirit it was intended...

May 12 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

Unfortunately,

We live in a market driven society, and while many Black women are being shown in less than "classy" ways in the marketplace, if there was no demand for it, it wouldn't exist, the same as playboy, hustler etc. Just because a female is not 6ft tall & 110lbs and strolls the fashion runways with ease & grace, unfortunately, they don't have much to shake in a music video.

I don't support it, but at the same time, I KNOW that these women don't have a snowball's chance in hell of walking down a runway in milan wearing the latest fashions, they don't fit someone else's "standards" of beauty, however, these black women have learned to earn & prosper in an ever-changing market, so in that regard, I'm GLAD there is work for them!

Many stereotypes are perpetuated due to simple "laziness" to lazy to take a look deeper than what someone has TOLD them how a person/people/race or culture is, without exploring it for themselves.

They copy Black style, dance, singing, cultural language, dress & mannerisms....and we see it in everything from advertising slogans to little white children rapping in national commercials....Food for Thought isn't it?

May 12 05 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I blame clients.

Last big project I had to work on was represented to me as being classy, upscale, clothing sponsored and better than your average import car culture publication. Great. I'm all for doing something upscale in the import scene. Too ghetto in my opion anyways.

I shoot my first couple of models product and fashion style. Emphasis on the location, vehicle and overall layout. The model is just another prop. And a few shots clean, head and 3/4 of the model, poses that she could use in a book without reservations.

I get heat for the shots not being sexy enough.

I let the client be art director for the next shoot. Booty, tits and ass shots all over the place. I tell him that looks like classic import crap. He says that's what sells. I actually have to call a couple of mdoels that I had lined up to shoot and tell them not to come out because with their careers, they don't need to be having booty shots all over the place.

That's what sells.

Assholes.

May 12 05 03:53 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i made a livin' in fine art with peeps saying i have a black gals booty...
yup
always have!!

May 12 05 05:46 pm Link

Model

Gigi Monique

If a model has pictures of her botty hanging out and so on well I would assume it was her choice. No one makes anyone do something they don't want to do. LOL

I prefer making beautiful images, nothing trashy or degrading,but everyone is different. Not every black model I have came across has her butt and breast hanging out. I for example am a prime example of that.

May 12 05 06:29 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I have worked with photographers who sell alot of booty shots. The thing is, they tease me because I do not have a huge booty, however I am glad. The really big butts, the ones you can set a drink on, I wouldn't want one of those. I could easily slip into being a titty model I suppose. smile Never-the-less, you have to give props when they are due, and if a chic can sell herself as a booty model, more power to her. What I hate to see is a model who has potential to do more mainstream work, but elects to be a booty model...to each his own I guess.

May 12 05 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

SteveC

Lancaster, Ohio, US

Posted by Angel Durelle: 
yeah i agree with what you're saying. in my opinion, having a shot or 2 displaying ur butt is fine, but have some variety. but i also think its because of how the media protrays us as well.

LOL  i know someone that doesn't like their butt in the pic *coff* Which btw, ya got a beautiful one, and NO  it isn't BIG.

The media, i.e. BET/MTV/Record Labels, are perpetrating (sp) all this.  They show what people {producers} "THINK" is what the people want to see. They see the kids jumping at buying the music with explicit lyrics, and the "booty" vids, so, they produce more of it.AND  now they are saying that some of these rich rappers, are "ROLE MODELS" for the younger ones.   What the hell is that all about? Sure, a few of them have changed to something more mainstream, but still,  where did they start?  "Things that make you go: Hmmmmmmm!"
Unfortunately, there aren't enough parents out there enforcing 'parental control", either.  My parents would have slapped the S*** outta me if I walked around singing that crap, let alone listening to it...lol
Heck, I had a hard time accepting my daughters listening to techno....lol  then I kinda started liking some of it, too.
Now I have a roomie that listens to the explicit stuff,  I'm like.. WTF are YOU listening to?  Grrrrrr ** No wonder she's  obsessed with sex,,,(( NO NOT WITH ME.  She has enough Bubba's out there to make your head spin. ))
K,  kinda got off the subject. "BOOTY"..lol   Speaking of clubs...  You see what some are doing, that they call dancing?   Shaking/rubbing the booty in the crotch of the guy they are dancing with?   jeeeeeeez    Why not just take your clothes off, and get it on?   LMAO
ok,  enough rambling for me...

Oh, and btw,  I have only had ONE model that has asked me to take a few shots of her butt.   And that's out of about 12 models I've shot over the last 18 months. * and the one guy i've shot doesn't count...lol*

May 12 05 07:36 pm Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think that society is so in luv with ass that we  as black models feel if that's what is going to get me noticed than why not post that pic, true I have a backshot pic on my profile but it is in jeans and I have way more face pics than anything, we have to realize that yes we may have tight bodies but lets not let them focus on just that. I think I am cute and I have a nice butt, but I would never let that asset be my main focus. I do feel we as black models we are limiting ourselves with that mentality

May 12 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

And I want to shoot with Reese....

Posted by Angel Durelle: 

LOL

May 12 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Um, Like ...

In nature there are things that were created to attract the oppisite sex for the purpose of procreation. You know, the thing that prpetuates a species?

Butts, boobs, and legs and hair are the top four on that scientific list of things to lust after.

So, it only makes perfect scense that these become a focus in popular culture.

Go look at a few hundred photos, and tell be there are not a lot of butts..black and white, yellow and red....

Does our scociety magnify these natural urges and drives..HELL YES..it's called marketing! And if you are gonna step in fron of the camera for the purpose of "career", then one day you are gonna show a little ass. Plain and simple, guys and girls...black and white....

You will at least, be place in a "sexy" situation.

Fact

May 12 05 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

Posted by Chris Ambler: 
You tell me - all of your pictures are either your lips or your breasts. How is that any different? (hint: you accentuate the body features that you find most flattering/commercial on yourself)

I agree with you Chris. I thought the model was looking for an unbiased answer, then I went to her photos and saw boobs all over the place.

The question didn't seem so fair then.

May 13 05 02:30 am Link

Model

Brittini Ricci

Edwards, California, US

Tom you don't know what iam talking about its not about   me just most black models your off the topic. And I agree with what you guys said .Thats  what sells and I guess  thats the black chick image, she is curvey has a big ol butt but I guess  we should put some veriety in their to change that image . Not just limit ourselves  as ass models .Everyone has their own thing I got my answer  its a society thing smile

May 13 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

I think having teenage daughters..dictates a lot of what images I shoot of women. And there is not a day that my oldest daughter comes home with her saying another boy is saying something abut her booty....she is biracial.....so most at her school call's her the white chick with the booty. Part of me is very upset at times hearing her say that and then I listen to a lot of her music..sorry folks black rap music...doesn't do anything for for what are women's strengths or their videos..but lowers their image to that of body parts....but that just speaking not only as a parent but also as someone that creates images I hope that show positive images of women

May 13 05 11:18 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

I think having teenage daughters..dictates a lot of what images I shoot of women. And there is not a day that my oldest daughter comes home with her saying another boy is saying something abut her booty....she is biracial.....so most at her school call's her the white chick with the booty. Part of me is very upset at times hearing her say that and then I listen to a lot of her music..sorry folks black rap music...doesn't do anything for for what are women's strengths or their videos..but lowers their image to that of body parts....but that just speaking not only as a parent but also as someone that creates images I hope that show positive images of women

keep on

u are a shining light 

xox

May 13 05 11:28 am Link

Model

Schemia

Orlando, Florida, US

I do agree that we have more than ass to acount for.  But, its appropriate for some shoots.  And its not only black women who do it, Everyone does.  Its is suductive in some forms and obnoxious and degrading in other. Really its all in the eye of the beholder. It appeals to some people and it is all about what sells.  Sexy sells, Letting it all hang out sells.  If I had a Phat ass Ide be doing my Beyonce thing to.  But still I try to keep it real some what sexy and tasteful.

Thats how I feel.

Schemia

May 13 05 12:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

::::Reese views the forum... scans the response::::

her advice:

"Paint your [censored three letter word] to say 'kiss it'" and the next time someone asks you show it, give 'em what they ask for...  'course though... that could cause the problem to get worse."

(note:  see, Reese is already making changes to better ModelMayhem for the tree hugging hippie conservatives)

May 13 05 01:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Angel Durelle: 

LOL

"I cordially invite you to do the white girl dance with me..."

May 13 05 02:05 pm Link