Photographer

blah girl

Hillsdale, Illinois, US

I have never used a better makeup on myself or my models

You can't even tell your wearing it and you look like you have flawless skin.

Anyone else love that stuff?

Apr 02 07 08:46 pm Link

Model

Dani Scandal

Cork, Cork, Ireland

can't say i have tried it. glad to hear its not a hoax though

Apr 02 07 09:22 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

i've always wondered.... i always find myself up late watching that infomercial.
ha.

Apr 02 07 09:24 pm Link

Model

Honorary Alice

Garden City, New York, US

always wanted to try it!!!
glad to hear a serious positive result.
...are you sure you don't work for them?
haha.

Apr 02 07 09:26 pm Link

Model

Clair Loran

San Francisco, California, US

I'm actually not a fan.  It made my skin look cakey and they couldn't match the tone properly.  But maybe that is just bad application on the mua's part.  I LOVE the eyeshadows and liners, though.

Apr 02 07 09:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I like mineral makeup on myself (Illuminare, I wear it every day) but its not good for photography, its high in Titanium Dioxide (most of them anyway)

edited to add....for Goth its great...adds to the death look.

Apr 02 07 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

blah girl

Hillsdale, Illinois, US

Euterpe wrote:
I'm actually not a fan.  It made my skin look cakey and they couldn't match the tone properly.  But maybe that is just bad application on the mua's part.  I LOVE the eyeshadows and liners, though.

The powder has never caked on me or anyone unless you put it on super heavy.. They have a million shades, so maybe you had the wrong one

I love thier eyeshadows. I never had a good eyeshadow till I used them. Us redheads are limited to what we can pull of on our eyes LOL

No, lol, I dont work for them. I should post some before and after photos.
It seriously does work for me. My mother, my friends, I got all of them hooked on it.

I DISPISE liquid foundation.. clogs my skin up.. feels way to heavy anyways

Apr 02 07 09:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I would love to see a shot where you used a mineral product on the face (foundation)

and the powder mineral foundations turn orange after a short time, thats what Ive seen anyway, not a good look

Apr 02 07 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

blah girl

Hillsdale, Illinois, US

Mary wrote:
I would love to see a shot where you used a mineral product on the face (foundation)

and the powder mineral foundations turn orange after a short time, thats what Ive seen anyway, not a good look

I'll have to dig up a clear shot of me after using it.

This stuff has never turned orange. Some of the genaric rip offs I have used have. I dont suggest covergirls ripoff of the stuff

Apr 02 07 09:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Victoria Makeup Artist

Los Angeles, California, US

Glo Minerals is Fabululous! It has less Titanium. The eyeshadows are great also!

Apr 02 07 09:41 pm Link

Model

gingerlasalle

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I sent it back....It made my skin look dry.

Apr 02 07 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

blah girl

Hillsdale, Illinois, US

WITHOUT bare minerals. My skin seemed a tad greasy with random redness patches

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q277/angelsfalldown2/100_4772.jpg

With it
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/angelsfalldown1/1560736648_l-1.jpg

also with it (older pic of me with my short hair, a tad blurry)
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/angelsfalldown1/100_1750.jpg

Apr 02 07 09:46 pm Link

Model

chloe

San Diego, California, US

there was a thread about bare minerals a while ago, i said the same i'll say here:

best makeup i've ever used. didn't look caked on, and it blended perfectly. but it made my skin itch like crazy, and i had to stop wearing it. my face would be red and scratched up after wearing it because i had to scratch all the time.

i feel like trying it out again, just not on the places it really itched (forehead/brows). that stuff was amazing. i still use the SPF15 foundation if i'm going out in the sun for a long time, and i always wear the eyeshadow and blush i got from them.

Apr 02 07 10:17 pm Link

Model

Model Mel

Absolutely WONDERFUL STUFF , THE Mineral VEIL Can be used with any make up though , it hides lil imperfections on the skins surfaces. 5 stars for this product , you can get the whole starter set for like 65.00 at Ulta. Its not a bad deal , just swirl and tap buff and go !

Mel

Apr 02 07 10:20 pm Link

Model

Erin Verdigris

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Thank you! I've debated buying it several times, I was just always wary of the whole infomercial makeup idea (although I must say, I do love my Magic Bullet). You've convinced me it's worth a shot.

Apr 02 07 10:24 pm Link

Model

Veritesirum

Pomona, California, US

my makeup artist used it on me once for a play i did,.
and i loved that stuff. i think its more addicting than drugs & myspace put together..
:]

Apr 02 07 10:27 pm Link

Model

prettydead

I just got it and I love it. Its so easy to apply and looks great!

Apr 02 07 10:28 pm Link

Model

Model Mel

Laurie42 wrote:
Thank you! I've debated buying it several times, I was just always wary of the whole infomercial makeup idea (although I must say, I do love my Magic Bullet). You've convinced me it's worth a shot.

Laurie ,

If you want full coverage get something called the kabuki brush its the short stubby brush ( ITS AWESOME ) The foundation is about 25.00 not bad huh! Although I Stick to MAC for my eye shadows they have better pigment, you never want to buy over the counter eye shadows for a photoshoot , they just dont show up, Bare minerals lip gloss is shiny and not too sticky, i really do like that product!
Ps you can really sleep in  it..its that pure !

Mel

Apr 02 07 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

blah girl

Hillsdale, Illinois, US

Melany Wells wrote:
Absolutely WONDERFUL STUFF , THE Mineral VEIL Can be used with any make up though , it hides lil imperfections on the skins surfaces. 5 stars for this product , you can get the whole starter set for like 65.00 at Ulta. Its not a bad deal , just swirl and tap buff and go !

Mel

Seriously! It lasts months too.. and buying those liquid foundations every month costs more anyhow!

Apr 02 07 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

blah girl

Hillsdale, Illinois, US

Melany Wells wrote:

Mel

Thats another thing I love about it..

Apr 02 07 10:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia Rose

New York, New York, US

I have to say I was not impressed by it. I didn't see what the big deal was.

Apr 02 07 10:32 pm Link

Model

LaurenElise

Petaluma, California, US

I got Bare Minerals when I was at a point where I was breaking out kinda bad and I started wearing it and it completely cleared up my skin.  I didnt even take it off for bed and my skin became completely clear within a month or less. I love it! I dont really wear it as much anymore, but I love to put it on cause it really buffs out all imperfections on your skin.  I didnt really think it was heavy enough for a photoshoot though??

Apr 02 07 10:33 pm Link

Model

Erin Verdigris

Melany Wells wrote:
Laurie ,

If you want full coverage get something called the kabuki brush its the short stubby brush ( ITS AWESOME ) The foundation is about 25.00 not bad huh! Although I Stick to MAC for my eye shadows they have better pigment, you never want to buy over the counter eye shadows for a photoshoot , they just dont show up, Bare minerals lip gloss is shiny and not too sticky, i really do like that product!

Mel

Haha, writing this all down for tomorrow... I remember the brush from the infomercial, I'm guessing that should be sold at ULTA too?

Thanks!

Apr 02 07 10:33 pm Link

Model

Elisabeth Ashley

Tyler, Texas, US

personally i perfer Arbonne over all others it has no animal product mineral oil or biproducts bare minerals is not my first choice for sure

Apr 02 07 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Poshtography

Denver, Colorado, US

I am a photographer & performing artist...whether I am on a shoot or onstage, the Bare Minerals products are WONDERFUL!!!

They do leave your skin feeling & looking natural!!

Apr 02 07 10:37 pm Link

Model

Carmen the MILF

Sanford, North Carolina, US

Won't use anything else...easy to put on, and looks great!

Love the stuff!!

Carmen

Apr 02 07 10:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Mercier came out w/ her take on it.  Maybe it will be more photo-friendly.

Apr 02 07 10:40 pm Link

Model

Model Mel

Laurie42 wrote:

Haha, writing this all down for tomorrow... I remember the brush from the infomercial, I'm guessing that should be sold at ULTA too?

Thanks!

Yeah I think the brush is like $7.00 -10.00 I'm not sure, I know "Too Faced " Sells a kit of brushes for like 20.00 you can use these brushes too on yours eyes and cheeks and such , I hope this helps. I just learned the tricks of the trade and how to apply make up simply by watching my make up artists apply it and teach me what looks good and what doesnt.

I ALSO have found another product by Sally Hanson called anti -aging AIRBRUSH !! This is good to for touch ups during a shoot or just for everyday use smile

Mel

Apr 02 07 10:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Victoria Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo wrote:
Mercier came out w/ her take on it.  Maybe it will be more photo-friendly.

Have you tried Glo Minerals? it's photo friendly and the powders are pressed.

Apr 02 07 10:45 pm Link

Model

Erin Verdigris

Thanks Mel

Apr 02 07 11:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

I have some that I use for myself when i am too lazy to do my makeup... but need to look like I made an effort. I am not a big fan of the mineral make-up.

I actually don't wear make-up a lot...

My roomate is a make-up artist and she uses Youngblood and she really likes it, and it seems to work fine for her.

I like my airbrush foundations, liquids and creams.

Apr 02 07 11:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

I could go on and on about how I think Bare Minerals is a HORRIBLE product for flash photography.

1. The titanium dioxide as Mary previously said turns anyone into insta-goth
2. The mica tends to give a very un-natural grey cast on anyone shade medium-beige or darker
3. Since the product oxidizes you may look very orange after a few hours and it produces that "line" every MUA hates
4. Its messy- everything in the line is loose product
5. It can give good coverage but this can be time consuming and in the end look like you are covered in flour.
6. If you don't spend time working the product in "buffing" you could end up accentuating any fine lines.
7. If you have medium pores or larger the mica really brings them out so that they look even bigger!
8. Hispanic or olive toned like me? Well don't even bother because you are most likely going to have to buy two different shades and make your own messy mix.
9. Sensitive Skin, roseacea? Mica is irritating to some skin types and when the sun hits your face it will burn and itch like no other.
10. Its a 3 step powder make-up so you have powder foundation, warmth and mineral veil, 3 loose powders to put on your face- imagine taking it with you on the go- yikes!!!!

Photographers like it, models like it, and sometimes make-up artists like Bare Minerals but most make-up artists know that their are much BETTER complexion products out there both mineral and non-mineral.

Once you try other powder foundations and other complexion products I am sure you will see that Bare Minerals is not as great as the infomercial makes it out to be.

Apr 02 07 11:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Charissa the Artist wrote:
I could go on and on about how I think Bare Minerals is a HORRIBLE product for flash photography.

2. The mica tends to give a very un-natural grey cast on anyone shade medium-beige or darker
3. Since the product oxidizes you may look very orange after a few hours and it produces that "line" every MUA hates
5. It can give good coverage but this can be time consuming and in the end look like you are covered in flour.
6. If you don't spend time working the product in "buffing" you could end up accentuating any fine lines.
7. If you have medium pores or larger the mica really brings them out so that they look even bigger!
8. Hispanic or olive toned like me? Well don't even bother because you are most likely going to have to buy two different shades and make your own messy mix.
9. Sensitive Skin, roseacea? Mica is irritating to some skin types and when the sun hits your face it will burn and itch like no other.
10. Its a 3 step powder make-up so you have powder foundation, warmth and mineral veil, 3 loose powders to put on your face- imagine taking it with you on the go- yikes!!!!

Photographers like it, models like it, and sometimes make-up artists like Bare Minerals but most make-up artists know that their are much BETTER complexion products out there both mineral and non-mineral.

Once you try other powder foundations and other complexion products I am sure you will see that Bare Minerals is not as great as the infomercial makes it out to be.

you took the words right outa my mouth.. totally agree with every word you said..

Apr 03 07 01:14 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Apr 03 07 01:34 am Link

Model

Nicole Crutchfield

Newport News, Virginia, US

I haven't used the Bare Minerals brand, but I have used Avon's Smooth Minerals along with Avon's Dewy Souffle and it works great. Its not to heavy and is easy to color match.

Apr 03 07 02:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Erin Phillips

Gainesville, Florida, US

These are the reasons I've used it and won't ever again (foundation, that is- I LOVE their eyeshadow).  I really wanted to like it.. it has a fantastic premise (sp?) to it.  HOWEVER, BE is the mineral product with the most Bismouth in it, which is another contributing factor that causes that itch- with or without sun... I put it on after spending the $65 for the starter kit, and bam! itched immediately.  Thought I got a bad batch or something, so I returned it for another- same thing.   And it's LOADED with Titanium dioxide.  I'm also starting to age a bit, so my pores are bigger and a couple lines are showing up... BE makes them look 10X bigger, no matter how much I buff it in.

Also thought I was a freak, so I tried it on a model of mine, and the same thing happened.  So that was the end of my using BE.

Apr 03 07 05:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

David Klasfeld

New York, New York, US

I couldn't agree with you more, Charissa. There's a really amazing article in Allure (amazing in that I couldn't believe it was actually in there) about how all these supposed "Mineral" lines are all hype, basically, and how the only thing that makes them good for your skin is that you're wearing less product on your face, usually. I blogged about this recently.

Apr 03 07 07:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

T

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Yep!!!! I'm not a fan.

Apr 03 07 08:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabeth Gerbino

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

I like it for personal use. I only use it on the sides of my face though where I have some acne scars. For my tzone (primarily my nose, though), I use Philosophy's airbrush foundation which is like a mineral foundation but it doesn't look thick and cakey and it doesn't make my pores look massive.

Picking up a brush of bareminerals is all I have the strength to do sometimes when I have to get up at 4:30am, haha.

Apr 03 07 08:27 am Link

Model

Demi

New York, New York, US

wow the battle continues lol.  I use Maybelline pure stay which works pretty good for me.  I was thinking about BE but my skin can be sensitive as it can get red and blotchy if irritated. After hearing that stuff im not so sure about BE

Apr 03 07 08:30 am Link