Forums > General Industry > Heard of Model Placement Associates?

Model

April Haldy

Twentynine Palms, California, US

Has anyone heard of them? What exactly do you know about them? I've been contacted by them and just wanted to know what all you lovely's know. You seem very knowledgable. And i'm (hopefully) meeting a photographer within the next 2 weeks to get my portfolio going YAY!!!! I'm super excited hehe

Apr 03 07 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

April Haldy wrote:
Has anyone heard of them? What exactly do you know about them? I've been contacted by them and just wanted to know what all you lovely's know. You seem very knowledgable. And i'm (hopefully) meeting a photographer within the next 2 weeks to get my portfolio going YAY!!!! I'm super excited hehe

Any more information? A website maybe?

Studio36

Apr 04 07 04:58 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

nothing at ALL on a fast web search under that name
more info please?

Apr 04 07 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Lorin A Edmonds

Eugene, Oregon, US

Call BBB and see if they have a file.

See if they have a business license.

Find out what city they are in.

Do they have a web site.

See it they have a Doing Business as listing with the  state.

Sounds sketchy to me. If no one here has heard of them.

Apr 04 07 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Photo-op

Asbury Park, New Jersey, US

Sound like a “manager” to me.

Apr 04 07 05:39 am Link

Model

April Haldy

yea i searched it too, and found nothing. i DID find something under just "model placement" one of the photographers here gets a lot of business from them. The man from model placement also was "placing" me in a local runway show, and i've talked to several people who he works with so i know its real. I was just concerned about one thing he said. So maybe the rest of you might have an idea. He told me i needed to get a portfolio done and have the photographer release the photos over to me 100% and the photographer had no rights to them and couldn't use them. Is this something that typically happens?

Apr 04 07 11:16 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

April Haldy wrote:
yea i searched it too, and found nothing. i DID find something under just "model placement" one of the photographers here gets a lot of business from them. The man from model placement also was "placing" me in a local runway show, and i've talked to several people who he works with so i know its real. I was just concerned about one thing he said. So maybe the rest of you might have an idea. He told me i needed to get a portfolio done and have the photographer release the photos over to me 100% and the photographer had no rights to them and couldn't use them. Is this something that typically happens?

No it is not what happens. I smell a scam here. Especially as it is put in terms of THE photographer and doing such a deal will apparently require you to pay THE photographer because he isn't going to do it for free... Is he?

Stuido36

Apr 04 07 12:25 pm Link

Model

April Haldy

um the photographer wants me to pay 300 but she's willing to negotiate. i was told i guess some agencies want all rights to the photos?? i was also told that some agencies have their own photographers and so this doesn't make sence...i'm so lost lol

Apr 04 07 12:29 pm Link

Model

April Haldy

Also the guy from model placement said i didn't have to use this photographer its just who he recomends.*shurgs*

Apr 04 07 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

April Haldy wrote:
Also the guy from model placement said i didn't have to use this photographer its just who he recomends.*shurgs*

Well for starters you don't need the rights he told you you need. All you do need are rights [in the form of a license from the photographer] to use the photographs for your self promotion, by yourself or through the agency, and comp cards... and possibly, if they are fronting you a web page, also for web use.

Beyond that you don't need, or have to pay for, anything else such as exclusive rights or purchase the copyright.

There may even be a few guys around that will do some photos for you on a trade, or partial trade, basis so you don't even need to front a large amount of cash... if any.

Studio36

Apr 04 07 12:54 pm Link

Model

April Haldy

ok so basically i only need them release to me in a sence that i may use them...however they can use them as well. i didn't understand the whole thing myself ad just wanted to make sure i guess... idk thanks for the advice!!

Apr 04 07 07:46 pm Link