Forums > General Industry > Why I think I'm done with OMP for good ...

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Asheville, North Carolina, US

A response from a new model with crappy webcam pics when asked if she'd like to work with me

TO BRYAN:

I am sorry to inform you that I am not interested because all of the girls on ure site are unattractive and fat. I am trying to loose weight and even though I am quite curvy, I definately do not fit into the "fat" criteria.

R******

Am I missing something ???

May 12 05 08:47 pm Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

very weird, i wouldnt let one person ruin things for you, move on and find another model that will be glad to work with you regardless of body type...you offered to work with her, and she might have taken it the wrong way.

May 12 05 08:50 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

LOL...just say...thank you for your response and I'll go find another model.

You can't let people get to you in this industry.  smile

May 12 05 08:53 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 
A response from a new model with crappy webcam pics when asked if she'd like to work with me

TO BRYAN:

I am sorry to inform you that I am not interested because all of the girls on ure site are unattractive and fat. I am trying to loose weight and even though I am quite curvy, I definately do not fit into the "fat" criteria.

R******

just a thought based on what you said...

what you are missing is her unhappiness in her own body. Instead of seeing the beauty of the models on your site, she's seeing a reflection of what she wants to change in herself?

her problem not yours.

May 12 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I would think the lady has a self image problem and is seeking modeling to provide her with a boost in her self esteem. From looking at your portfolio I really think she is missing out! Reguardless of the size of the model, you have brought out the best in them!

May 12 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

TO BRYAN:

R******

I think that all your missing is a long afternoon trying to get positive energy from somebody with enough issues to start a subscription.  It's her loss, not yours.

May 12 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Thanks guys - I know its not me but how do people think that is getting them anywhere ?  I mean a "no thank you" or a no reply would work a bit better.  Granted my work isn't for everyone but I rarely get hostile stuff like that.

Oh and for added irony - from her General information : I am very artistic, open minded ...

Yeah a missed opportunity for sure.

Beauty is an inside job ...

May 12 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

Beauty is an inside job ...

What a great line...I'll be stealing that for my own use if you don't mind!

May 12 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I haven't checked my OMP profile in days.

May 13 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

Oh and for added irony - from her General information : I am very artistic, open minded ...

She probably thinks she has a sense of humnor, too ... and she's probably equally wrong about that as well.

May 13 05 01:05 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I think that all your missing is a long afternoon trying to get positive energy from somebody with enough issues to start a subscription.

Melvin, you made me laugh with this one.  And you're right!

Brian, as you know I applaud your work.  I only think it is possible, however, with subjects who are willing to be vulnerable, to take risks, and ultimately, to see beauty where they might not have before.  She's clearly not ready for that.  And that's okay - you have no shortage of people who are.

May 13 05 01:09 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 
Thanks guys - I know its not me but how do people think that is getting them anywhere ?  I mean a "no thank you" or a no reply would work a bit better.  Granted my work isn't for everyone but I rarely get hostile stuff like that.

Most inexperienced models have no clue how to simply say 'no thank you'  They feel as if they have to give reasons why and tell you what they think. -shrugs- 

May 13 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Posted by Shyly: 
Brian, as you know I applaud your work.  I only think it is possible, however, with subjects who are willing to be vulnerable, to take risks, and ultimately, to see beauty where they might not have before.  She's clearly not ready for that.  And that's okay - you have no shortage of people who are.

You know I probably wouldn't have messaged her If I were still in Fla. but models for me are a little scarce up here in the backwoods.  I probably just need to go back to Fla. more often ...

May 15 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

Posted by Shyly: 

You know I probably wouldn't have messaged her If I were still in Fla. but models for me are a little scarce up here in the backwoods.  I probably just need to go back to Fla. more often ...

Backwoods Models Wanted!!

May 15 05 11:25 am Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Geez, Brian, I just checked out your profile I wish I'd known of you four weeks ago! I've just been back in OK one week following three in Charlotte, NC. And I even know where Cullowhee is. *ha, ha* It really is her loss!

May 15 05 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Well just give me a call when you get back ...

May 15 05 03:38 pm Link

Model

Madame Cosmos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yeah OMP is washed up really bad.

May 15 05 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I say don't sweat the small timers.

OMPO should delete profiles of people who have webcam, homegrown, or no pics after 30 days.
There's no way you should be on that system for over 30 days and not have at least one shoot on the books and displayed on your port.

May 15 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ted Silverman

Miami, Florida, US

The main thing that I dislike about OMP is how many of the models don't even bother to reply. Not even a simple no thank you.

May 15 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Totally agreed Ted. But look at it this way, she just saved you a lot of effort to find out she's unprofessional.A shoot would have had a very good chance of being a waste of time and energy anyhow!

May 15 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

R******

If you shoot hot chicks, hot chicks will want to work with you and vice versa.

She doesn't want to be known as one of the girls you shoot.

May 15 05 06:28 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

If she doesn't want to work with you then that is her problem. It's refreshing to see someone like yourself who shoots ALL shapes and sizes. She missed out.

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

TO BRYAN:

R******

May 17 05 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Chanti zez: 
Most inexperienced models have no clue how to simply say 'no thank you'

GOod point!  Try:
"I'd love to but I am having a new hernia installed and will be totally out of commission until March 15, 2009."

mjr.

May 17 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Garcia

Houston, Alaska, US

Posted by Ted Silverman: 
The main thing that I dislike about OMP is how many of the models don't even bother to reply. Not even a simple no thank you.

I hear you on that one. There are TONS of portfolios with models that don't even know they are online. How pathetic of those photographers that do that.

May 17 05 09:54 am Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

I think she's one of those retarded newbies that has no experience or photos and wants money for modeling and thinks she knows it all. Those girls need a wake up call. 

Whether or not she is one of those or not, she's definately too insecure about herself to look at your work as art.  It's not necessarily the person in the picture, but it's a number of other things as well like the quality and the mood of the photo.  If she can't look past who the picture is of, then she really doesn't deserve to work with you.

OMP isn't perfect and neither is MM, if you are going to leave the site because of one stupid person, then it's being just like the photographers here leaving because of a couple of stupid comments.

You shot issue one of GB?  That kicks major ass.  I've been trying to get the first issue, but not having any luck.  I have every issue except 1.

May 17 05 10:35 am Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Posted by Ivan Garcia: 

Posted by Ted Silverman: 

I hear you on that one. There are TONS of portfolios with models that don't even know they are online. How pathetic of those photographers that do that.

I agree.  I didn't even know I was on OMP until I went to join and my "manager" had put me up there over a year earlier.  He didn't tell me any of the info so I could change my pics or anything.  I just emailed OMP and told them to please take the account down because it was put up without my permission and I had made a new one.

May 17 05 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

This is true, many of the portfolios on there weren't put up by the models. Not to mention many portfolios on there are people pretending to be someone else so they can get a bit of attention. This happens on many sites though. I believe it's even already started to happen on here. I do something about it when I can, like letting the real person know.

When it comes to contacting models I send a message and let them respond accordingly. It's definitely a bad move on their part not to respond at all or to respond ignorantly because you never know who can lead you where. I just take no response as a "no thank you" and move on. Considering I don't contact just any and everybody, it is what it is.

More people need to do their research and get their business skills sharpened before moving into this industry. I know I didn't even claim to be a "photographer" until I had a better understanding of what comes with the package. Before then, I was just a guy who people thought took nice photos.

May 17 05 11:14 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by SindelChaos: 
You shot issue one of GB?  That kicks major ass.  I've been trying to get the first issue, but not having any luck.  I have every issue except 1.

Issue #1 is the only issue I had. Someone gave me a copy. I threw it away because I had no birdcage to line with it. Truly horrible publication.

May 17 05 11:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

R******

If you shoot hot chicks, hot chicks will want to work with you and vice versa.

She doesn't want to be known as one of the girls you shoot.

This is very true.

May 17 05 12:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by SindelChaos: 

Posted by Ivan Garcia: 

Posted by Ted Silverman: 

I agree.  I didn't even know I was on OMP until I went to join and my "manager" had put me up there over a year earlier.  He didn't tell me any of the info so I could change my pics or anything.  I just emailed OMP and told them to please take the account down because it was put up without my permission and I had made a new one.

WOW! That is so-o-o weird.  Small world...  I once had the same experience with a triffling Virginia based "manager..."

May 17 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

I deleted my profile there Saturday night, although Im still learning and improving my work, I have a good base of models I have worked with. So I dont need OMP at this point.

EDIT: Not to mention, the only way to get your stuff looked at seriously was to either bitch or complain about pulling your membership payment.

May 17 05 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Posted by SindelChaos: 

You won't find it ... I got mine by pure luck one of my clients tossed it at me and said "Nice job - cover and seven inside!"

I had never seen the film - I did the shots as a favor to the model and I figured someone was just trying to get in her pants again.  She was moving the next day and took the film with her - I would have liked to do the edits myself. GB didn't send a copy to me and they don't have a release either ...

May 17 05 02:17 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Posted by SindelChaos: 
I think she's one of those retarded newbies that has no experience or photos and wants money for modeling and thinks she knows it all. Those girls need a wake up call. 

Whether or not she is one of those or not, she's definately too insecure about herself to look at your work as art.  It's not necessarily the person in the picture, but it's a number of other things as well like the quality and the mood of the photo.  If she can't look past who the picture is of, then she really doesn't deserve to work with you.

OMP isn't perfect and neither is MM, if you are going to leave the site because of one stupid person, then it's being just like the photographers here leaving because of a couple of stupid comments.

I agree, obviously she has issues. It's sad when people like her don't see the art. Also I would kill to work with Brian! To bad he's in North Carolina and I'm in Oregon.

May 17 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

I hear ya, i have a model friend who i met through omp, who has no control over her omp profile, some photographer set it up and won't give her the info etc just passes along some of the e-mails. Another disturbing thing with stuff like that are the photographers who charge young girls for a shoot, management and a omp profile. just a little weird don't ya think?

Posted by Ivan Garcia: 

May 17 05 09:50 pm Link

Model

Jazmine_Rose

Oakland, California, US

AWWW...POOR THING, MAYBE SHE HAS PROBLEMS WITH HER EYES OR A CATARACT PROBLEM OR SOMETHING..OR MAYBE NOT...

LOL!!! BUT HONESTLY, WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS??!!!

May 17 05 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

TO BRYAN:

R******

Send her a picture of a burger and tell her, "This is not a salad missy." hmmmm well I guess that's a little mean but what the hell is wrong with people these days.

May 18 05 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Rich Creative

Brighton, New York, US

Good manners is not a prerequisite for modeling. 

I have used many OMP models and IF I get response and IF they show up, they are fantastic!  I have met some phenomenal models and good friends shooting OMP.

No-shows has been a problem for me.  They will swear they are coming right up until they don't show up.  Your rude model would have probably been a no-show if she had been less up-front rude.

Posted by Ivan Garcia: 

Posted by Ted Silverman: 

May 18 05 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

i checked out the omp forums lately.  god they are slow.  no one posts anymore.

May 18 05 02:37 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Posted by Jeffrey Rich: 
Good manners is not a prerequisite for modeling. 

I have used many OMP models and IF I get response and IF they show up, they are fantastic!  I have met some phenomenal models and good friends shooting OMP.

No-shows has been a problem for me.  They will swear they are coming right up until they don't show up.  Your rude model would have probably been a no-show if she had been less up-front rude.

It should be a prerequisite for anyone. I mean if I were to do a shoot and I couldn't make it due to circumstances beyond my control (exmples, deathly ill, car accident, family emergency,ect;) I would at least have the decency to call and/or e-mail that photographer right away.

It's called professional courtesy.

May 18 05 04:56 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

Posted by SindelChaos: 

You won't find it ... I got mine by pure luck one of my clients tossed it at me and said "Nice job - cover and seven inside!"

I had never seen the film - I did the shots as a favor to the model and I figured someone was just trying to get in her pants again.  She was moving the next day and took the film with her - I would have liked to do the edits myself. GB didn't send a copy to me and they don't have a release either ...

I actually saw it up on ebay a year or so ago, it was going for like $100 and I didn't have enough money to bid. 

Yeah, I've heard some weird things about GB, but I have to give them props for creating such a mag.  I wish Propaganda would start printing again. That magazine really rocked.

May 18 05 06:28 pm Link