Forums > Model Colloquy > Just for Models

Photographer

Carl Blum Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just for learning purposes, please answer these 2 questions:
(photogs, please just read the responses.)

1.) Who do you think pays the model?

2.) What do you look for in a photographer?

May 06 07 02:53 pm Link

Model

Becky Yuen

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Carl blum Photography wrote:

1)...ummm I have never gotten paid work..so I wouldn't  know but if I had to take a guess..the clients who wants the model to promote their product.

2) Professionalism. Quality of their photos...the use of lighting... etc..

May 06 07 02:56 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Whomever is going to profit from the photos.  I've been paid by hobbiests who are trying to improve their portfolios or their spank banks.  I've been paid by photographers who got paid by the client who paid the photographer hire models and shoot an ad.  I've been paid by photographers who run a website where they're going to sell views of my photographs.  I've been paid by advertising agencies who hired me to promote their client's product at a venue.  I've been paid by artists who are holding art classes or sketching me to paint to sell the painting and I've been paid by a stock photographer who is going to sell rights to the stock photos.

I've got gutter model morals.  If you pay me, we can work up to my limits for the amount of money you've paid me.  If I"m working TFP/CD I want someone whose work can benefit my portfolio or whose work I admire.  I'm all about using my free time to create artistic images.  If I pay you, beyotch, we shootin' what I wanna shoot!

May 06 07 03:26 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

1. The client. The client could be anyone though. If a photographer is getting girls naked for his personal spank bank and he's paying them, then he is the one paying them. If a photographer is shooting for his own personal art project and needs a model for it then the photographer once again is the one paying. If an outside party is wanting the photographer to shoot an ad (or whatever) for them then they (the outside party) are the ones paying. It depends on what the photos are being used for to determine who is paying.

2. If I like their work. That's all. I don't care about credits or money.

May 06 07 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Dragon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

May 06 07 04:08 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

1.  The client, whomever that may be (basically whoever is in charge of the project). 

2.  If I am paying the photographer:  someone who's work will benefit my portfolio.  If it is TFP or TFCD, then I look for a situation where both of our portfolios will be equally benefited.

May 06 07 04:09 pm Link

Model

Candy Poses

Seattle, Washington, US

1.  I've always been paid by the photographer or the artist.  "The Client Pays the Model!" mindset comes from commerical or fashion photography, not art photography.

2.  I work with two kinds of people: the people who pay my rates, and the people who add to my portfolio- and won't pay me.  As I've grown more and more experienced, the ratio between paid and tfp/cd shoots has grown more and more skewed.  Sometimes the people who pay me also are gracious enough to let me use their photos for self-promotional purposes.  Some of the best photos in my portfolio have come from shoots where I was paid.

May 06 07 04:14 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

If it's for the photographer's personal project, the photographer does. If it's for a commercial project, the client does. Being that most of the paid work I do is art nudes, most of the time I am paid directly by the photographer.

If it's a TFP shoot, I look for: An eye for good lighting, whether that means setting up lights competently in a studio or being able to use available light effectively. An eye for colour, tone, and density - I'm a professional colour corrector, so if I'm looking at someone's photos doing the math in my head as to what corrections would be needed to make them look better, that's not a good sign to me. An interest in concept and telling stories through photos - while "look, it's a pretty girl" photos can be really good, if that's all of the photos in somebody's portfolio, it speaks of a lack of vision. Competence with Photoshop, which not only means knowing what to do to make a photo look best but also knowing when to leave well enough alone. I'm a sucker for people who use old film cameras and alternative means of taking pictures (pinhole cameras and such). An interest in photography as an art form, not just as an excuse to see naked girls. Etc.

If it's paid, all of those things are certainly a bonus, but being able to pay my fee and not being a total creep are my top priorities.

May 06 07 04:20 pm Link

Model

Napally

Leeds, Alabama, US

I've never done a paid shoot so I can only speculate; if a photographer really wants to work with a model then they should pay the model. If the model is signed then an agency should pay the model for their work. Do you want a single answer for this as there are lots.

A style of photography that I can work with and that would improve my portfolio. As I have no money, I look for photographers who shoot on a TFCD basis, and who are easy to travel to. They might not be the most amazing photographer on here but if I feel we can collaborate and create an amazing image then I'll make contact with them.

May 06 07 04:38 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Isobel covered pretty much all the bases.

May 06 07 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Isobel Wren wrote:

Whomever is going to profit from the photos.  I've been paid by hobbiests who are trying to improve their portfolios or their spank banks.  I've been paid by photographers who got paid by the client who paid the photographer hire models and shoot an ad.  I've been paid by photographers who run a website where they're going to sell views of my photographs.  I've been paid by advertising agencies who hired me to promote their client's product at a venue.  I've been paid by artists who are holding art classes or sketching me to paint to sell the painting and I've been paid by a stock photographer who is going to sell rights to the stock photos.

I've got gutter model morals.  If you pay me, we can work up to my limits for the amount of money you've paid me.  If I"m working TFP/CD I want someone whose work can benefit my portfolio or whose work I admire.  I'm all about using my free time to create artistic images.  If I pay you, beyotch, we shootin' what I wanna shoot!

[/thread]

May 06 07 04:48 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

1.) The client.

2.) In a paying shoot, I don't make that choice, so it doesn't matter. For a test where I get to choose, I look for technical ability, style, creativity, professionalism...

EDIT (or addendum, rather): I'm a fashion model. For art models and other types of models, the answers are most likely different.

May 06 07 04:51 pm Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

1) When I'm paid, it's always by the client (or agency through client).  I've never been paid by a photographer.  However, I feel the person who pays the model is the person who needs the model, whether it be photographer or client.

2)  I'm answering this question in terms of me looking for photographers to collaborate with, to get pictures for my book, not when I'm hired. 

First, I look at their photos and see if I would benefit by shooting with them.  If their style or ability isn't one I could use, then there's no point in shooting with them. 

Under that, I look at the technical side of the photos.  Is the exposure good?  What's the lighting like?  Are they skilled at photoshop?  Are little things in order, like stray hairs or hand placement or squished skin.  Can you tell they had input on the posing, and didn't just click the shutter?  I want someone with ideas who knows what they're doing.  I have lots of ideas and concepts, but when I come across a photographer whose work is so good that I know any idea he has or photo he chooses to give me will be a good one, then I want to work with them.  I want to trust that the results will be good.  And I want to see those results in a reasonable amount of time.

May 06 07 06:17 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

He he heee.  I got props from Mayan and TX.  I was having a shitty day but that turns it around a little!  Thank you!

May 06 07 07:54 pm Link

Model

Alex Davenport

Spokane, Missouri, US

1) The client. Whether it's a company who hired the photog and the models, or just a photog who want to shoot you for his port....

2) If I like his/her work and want it in my book!

May 06 07 07:56 pm Link

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

1.  the client, who is anybody from the model to the photog, to an actual company
2.  i will only work with a photog who hires me for a job (and its a job i actually want to do) or who can show me that the pictures he takes will likely add to my book.

May 09 07 11:56 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

1. Paid..? Only kind of payment I want/need is travel costs.

2. Someone who's work sparks my interest

May 09 07 11:58 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

1- I've been paid for art nudes, and "sitting" sessions for painting/drawing. In these cases, the photographer/artist paid out of pocket, generally in cash.

2 - If I like the work, as well as the idea behind it, and if the photographer invests time and energy into making beautiful pictures. If his profile looks like he's building a "spank bank" only for the purpose of having a "spank bank".... umm, no, won't even hear back from me, let alone exchange phone calls.

May 09 07 02:08 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Jessalyn wrote:

1. The client. The client could be anyone though. If a photographer is getting girls naked for his personal spank bank and he's paying them, then he is the one paying them. If a photographer is shooting for his own personal art project and needs a model for it then the photographer once again is the one paying. If an outside party is wanting the photographer to shoot an ad (or whatever) for them then they (the outside party) are the ones paying. It depends on what the photos are being used for to determine who is paying.

2. If I like their work. That's all. I don't care about credits or money.

same here.

May 09 07 02:41 pm Link