Forums > Photography Talk > Lens for full body shots

Photographer

ArixMedia Photography

Brentwood, Tennessee, US

Which lens do you think is better for indoor full body shots:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

or

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L

I'm trying to figure out which one of these would be better for this situation.
The lenses i currently have aren't suited for full body shots, besides the kit lens which i hate.

I currently have:

Canon EF 50mm f1.4
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

None of these are really effective for full shots indoors.

Thanks

May 07 07 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tracy Lynn Photography

Temple, Georgia, US

I know it's not Cannon (because I use Nikon) but my Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 works very well for full body indoor shots.

May 07 07 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Huynh Loft Studio

Sacramento, California, US

My new personal favorite is the 24-70mm 2.8 L for Canon. It is awesome. It's my new lens of choice these days.

May 07 07 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

oddproof photography

Garwood, New Jersey, US

They're both fine. Even the 50mm is more than adequate.

This was shot on a 50mm and it actually works out well for full body shots. I'd go longer if I could...  https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=953373

Besides you don't really want any ultra wide angles because you'll run into issues with the perspectives. You can use it sometimes but more often you won't. Get a longer studio instead.

May 07 07 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Which body you have?

Makes a difference.

May 07 07 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I am not sure of the canon body you have but the 24 - 70 mm 2.8 is a great lens. Or go with a prime 85mm if you use full frame...

Mike

May 07 07 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

UPoz4me

Perrysburg, Ohio, US

I've got the 17-40 and it works great.  How much space do you have, I don't see why the 50mm wouldn't work for you.

Mike

May 07 07 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

ArixMedia Photography

Brentwood, Tennessee, US

the 20d and rebel xti

The prob with the 50mm i have is that i dont have enough space to back up to get full shots, head to toe. I mainly shoot for our internal stock use so having the full body in the frame is important. When doing outdoor shots of course i have no problems with the current lenses.

May 07 07 08:25 pm Link

Model

Jared H

Why not use the 50mm? It does not take that much effort to "sneaker zoom"

EDIT: saw your post, the tamron 28-70 2.8 would work.

May 07 07 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

With your follow up, the question makes much more sense.

If your studio is too small to get full length shots with the 50mm, then you obviously need a wider lens. I'm assuming you've decided that your 10-22mm is too wide and you're getting unwanted distortion.

So your choices of the 17-55 or 17-40 are logical choices.

To me, there are potential drawbacks to both.

The 17-55mm is an EF-S mount lens. Therefore, if you ever decide to upgrade to a 5D or any of the 1D/1Ds series, this lens becomes useless. It's also useless for film SLRs. But you've already got a couple of EF-S mount lenses, so I'm guessing that isn't a huge concern for you. And of course, if you do decide to get a body without the 1.6x crop factor, you can always unload the EF-S lenses on eBay or whatever.

The 17-40mm is a slower lens than the 17-55mm. Personally, I really don't like using lenses slower than f/2.8. But that is just me. You already have a couple of lenses that are slower. Do you like your 70-200mm f/4? Or do you often wish you had the f/2.8 version? If you are happy with the 70-200 f/4, then this lens is probably a good choice. If you wish you had the faster version, then you'll probably find this lens annoying too.

I would also give a strong endorsement to the 24-70mm f/2.8 L. However, that is quite a bit more expensive than the two choices you list. If you can't afford it, your two choices are probably your best bet. If you have the money, I suggest you consider the 24-70. It's an excellent lens.

May 07 07 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

ArixMedia Photography wrote:
Which lens do you think is better for indoor full body shots:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

or

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L

I'm trying to figure out which one of these would be better for this situation.
The lenses i currently have aren't suited for full body shots, besides the kit lens which i hate.

I currently have:

Canon EF 50mm f1.4
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

None of these are really effective for full shots indoors.

Thanks

I have the 17-40mm L, and it's too much of a fish-eye for my 5D and 10D.  I think the 50mm is the best lens for full body.  That's if your camera has a 1.6 lens magnification factor, making it a 1.6x50mm = 80mm lens.  Of course, I'm assuming that you have enough space in your studio to get the full length.

May 07 07 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

H and H Photography

Buckeye, Arizona, US

Consider the new Sigma 30mm f1.4.  I am glad I read through this, because I would have seriously questioned any of the posts suggesting anything wider than 200-300mm if you were truly asking as to what is best.  It really depends on the goal you are after, but if you are looking to minimize distortion from being too close to your subject, compress your backgrounds so you don't have to fill in the sides in PS, and make the most flattering images of their faces, then the longer the focal length, the better in my opinion.  In my studio I am almost always using a 360mm on a RZ67 with a digital back---but I am very lucky and have the space.  So, I guess my advice is to grab a zoom, find the focal length you can make a full length with, and then find the prime lens closest to that.

May 07 07 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ruben Sanchez wrote:
Of course, I'm assuming that you have enough space in your studio to get the full length.

He's already stated 50mm is not wide enough in his tiny studio space, hence the need to go wider.

Since he's already invested in the EF-S system, I'd recommend the 17-55/2.8 IS, simply because it's wider, has image stabilization, and completes his wide to normal range of focal lengths.

If he were looking for an outdoor lens, I'd recommend the 17-40.

May 07 07 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ghosts of Pilgrim State

Sayville, New York, US

H and H Photography wrote:
Consider the new Sigma 30mm f1.4.  I am glad I read through this, because I would have seriously questioned any of the posts suggesting anything wider than 200-300mm if you were truly asking as to what is best.  It really depends on the goal you are after, but if you are looking to minimize distortion from being too close to your subject, compress your backgrounds so you don't have to fill in the sides in PS, and make the most flattering images of their faces, then the longer the focal length, the better in my opinion.  In my studio I am almost always using a 360mm on a RZ67 with a digital back---but I am very lucky and have the space.  So, I guess my advice is to grab a zoom, find the focal length you can make a full length with, and then find the prime lens closest to that.

I have to agree with the prime. You have the kit lens, find out what sizr works and get the prime closest. If not I love my 24-70 2.8. Want a 20-35 cheap?
Fred

May 07 07 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Brandon Ching wrote:
If he were looking for an outdoor lens, I'd recommend the 17-40.

There's not that much difference in the focal length between 17-40mm and 17-55mm.  However, there is a big difference in the quality of the glass between the L lens and the EF-S lens.

Get the 17-40mm lens, if you're determined to buy a lens.  I use it on occasion outdoors, and it's a terrific lens.  Most of the time, I prefer the 24-70mm 2.8 L lens for in the studio, full length shots.  Outdoors, it's a great lens too.  It's only a few hundred dollars more than the 17-40mm, but well worth it.  You might want to think about that lens too.

May 07 07 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

G and G PHOTOGRAPHY

Oak Park, Michigan, US

Ruben Sanchez wrote:
There's not that much difference in the focal length between 17-40mm and 17-55mm.  However, there is a big difference in the quality of the glass between the L lens and the EF-S lens.

Get the 17-40mm lens, if you're determined to buy a lens.  I use it on occasion outdoors, and it's a terrific lens.  Most of the time, I prefer the 24-70mm 2.8 L lens for in the studio, full length shots.  Outdoors, it's a great lens too.  It's only a few hundred dollars more than the 17-40mm, but well worth it.  You might want to think about that lens too.

There is not much of quality difference in the 14-40 and the 17-55 2.8. the 17-55 is a great lens which should be made in full frame.

May 07 07 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gregg Zaun

San Diego, California, US

Ruben Sanchez wrote:

i don't believe this is true of the Ef-s 17-55.  My memory could be mistaken but I believe the lens is made of the same glass as the L series lenses the only difference being that the housing is not the same as the L series and the lens isn't weather sealed.  If you do a search on the EF-S 17-55 on Dpreview.com you'll see that it is preferred over the 24-70 L by many people and that the picture quality is actually considered better- though that is subjective.

May 07 07 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Z  Image wrote:
i don't believe this is true of the Ef-s 17-55.

My assistant has the EF S.  She tested, not me, my 17-40mm against her 17-55mm, and there was a big difference in the quality of the photos.  There is also a noticable, visable difference in the lenses mutli-coating  between the 2 lenses, making the L lenses' photos more color saturated, and with higher contrast.  She now wants the 17-40mm L lens.

When possible, one should always do an A-B comparison test, to see which product is better.  This way there's no, "I think, she thinks" arguement.

May 07 07 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

G and G PHOTOGRAPHY

Oak Park, Michigan, US

Z  Image wrote:
i don't believe this is true of the Ef-s 17-55.  My memory could be mistaken but I believe the lens is made of the same glass as the L series lenses the only difference being that the housing is not the same as the L series and the lens isn't weather sealed.  If you do a search on the EF-S 17-55 on Dpreview.com you'll see that it is preferred over the 24-70 L by many people and that the picture quality is actually considered better- though that is subjective.

This is true. Go to the canon site and see the shot taken with it. I don't think weather sealing is needed in a studio.

May 07 07 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

CWC-COMPLEXPHOTO

Atlanta, Georgia, US

the 17-40L is the only lens i use for studio work and get pretty good results for full body photos....

May 07 07 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

The shortest lens i use for full length is a 50mm most of the time i use the 85mm without fail.

May 07 07 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

ArixMedia Photography wrote:
the 20d and rebel xti

The prob with the 50mm i have is that i dont have enough space to back up to get full shots, head to toe. I mainly shoot for our internal stock use so having the full body in the frame is important. When doing outdoor shots of course i have no problems with the current lenses.

Shoot somewhere else.

May 07 07 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Gregg Zaun

San Diego, California, US

Ruben Sanchez wrote:

My assistant has the EF S.  She tested, not me, my 17-40mm against her 17-55mm, and there was a big difference in the quality of the photos.  There is also a noticable, visable difference in the lenses mutli-coating  between the 2 lenses, making the L lenses' photos more color saturated, and with higher contrast.  She now wants the 17-40mm L lens.

When possible, one should always do an A-B comparison test, to see which product is better.  This way there's no, "I think, she thinks" arguement.

While you may have preferred the 17-40L over the EF-S 17-55 you can find others who have compared the two or the Ef-S 17-55 and the 24-70 L and have preferred the 17-55 with regards to picture quality.  So I don't think the Op should be scared off of the 17-55 becasue it isn't an "L".

Heres the reviews from Fred Miranda
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/show … roduct=303

May 08 07 12:57 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

85mm for me

May 08 07 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ruben Sanchez wrote:

I never said there was a remarkable difference in the focal lengths between the 2 lenses. I simply suggested the 2.8 because he was asking for an indoor lens where light may not be so abundant like it is outdoors. The point is moot if he is using strobes but still, he was looking for an indoor solution and I will recommend the faster glass over the L lens. The 17-55 can be stopped down, it just gives him more options with the 2.8 and IS.

May 08 07 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Mark Laessoe

Fredensborg, Hovedstaden, Denmark

On my 5D I use 85mm for full body and 135mm for close up.

May 08 07 03:37 am Link