Forums > Photography Talk > Question about a model shoot..

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

David A Verespie wrote:
I hear ya Alan.. thats why I offered her a contact sheet. She didnt sign a release. I never intended on selling the pictures.

Trust me, I am not flaming you, just making suggestions.  The trick here is to give her the contact sheet before you edit the images.  Perhaps you can circle the ones you recommend and put "X's" through the ones you are unwilling to edit because they came out badly.

If you do it first, rather than after, you head off a lot of problems.  On the other hand, I don't think you are being unreasonable offering it to her now.   I am just making suggestions for the next time.

May 13 07 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

May 13 07 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

Thank you for your input. From now on friends, family, etc.. will all be treated the same with the same contracts and all.

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Trust me, I am not flaming you, just making suggestions.  The trick here is to give her the contact sheet before you edit the images.  Perhaps you can circle the ones you recommend and put "X's" through the ones you are unwilling to edit because they came out badly.

If you do it first, rather than after, you head off a lot of problems.  On the other hand, I don't think you are being unreasonable offering it to her now.   I am just making suggestions for the next time.

May 13 07 07:55 pm Link

Model

SusanInce

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Yes, she has the right to every shot. They are pictures of her and she has a right to want them all.  She may want the edited shots for use for model work or maybe her website but she may see something in the other shots that she may like as well and ask you to edit for her at a later date and furthermore she make feel like scrambling a bunch of photos together one day using pics from her first photo shoot to her latest, why would she not want pictures that were taken of her own body...

May 13 07 07:56 pm Link

Model

SusanInce

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Somebody on here said its not standard practice for a model to get every photo shot of her...I don't know where he gets his practice but every photographer that I have worked with has given a cd the same day they did the photo shoot of me.  If i want them to edit them then I pay for him to edit up to a certain amt at a set price but all images of me belong to me..stop being selfish, if you help everybody get what they want then you will get what you want...stop living in fear and keep a good reputation..It is everything in this business.

May 13 07 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

Hello, did you read every post? I advertised for a CD of edited images, NOT all the negatives.

SusanInce wrote:
Yes, she has the right to every shot. They are pictures of her and she has a right to want them all.  She may want the edited shots for use for model work or maybe her website but she may see something in the other shots that she may like as well and ask you to edit for her at a later date and furthermore she make feel like scrambling a bunch of photos together one day using pics from her first photo shoot to her latest, why would she not want pictures that were taken of her own body...

May 13 07 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
OK, I will wade into this.  First, she was a client.  SHE PAID YOU!  Whether or not $100 was fair, that isn't her problem, it is yours.  You set the price. 

Since she paid you, she is entitled to see the images, good or bad.  The normal way this is done is for the photographer to provide a proof sheet, or a CD with watermarked, low-res images.  It is fine for you to recommend the images she should take, but that is really up to her.  If she wants to pick an image she hates, she is the client. 

So the bottom line is that you probably did pick the best images, but at a minimum, you should show her the rest so she will know why you picked the ones you did.

In terms of you selling the images, I am confused about something here.  Did you have her sign a release for you?  If you did not, you have very limited rights to use the images without her consent.  There are some uses, but they are restricted.

On the other hand, if you had her sign a release that isn't normal when you are the one being paid.  When someone walks into a portrait studio to have their picture taken, they don't normally give the studio the right to sell the pictures.  Indeed, in many of the chains, if the studios want to put an image on display, they will pay the client, by way of a discount, for permission to show the photo or use it in their ads.

That having been said, there is no reason, if a shoot was only $100 that you can't treat it as a hybrid shoot.  By that I mean that in exchange for receiving prints with defined usage rights, she agrees to pay you $100 plus model for you.  However, if you were doing something non-standard like that, I would be sure to spell it out clearly in advance because studio clients don't generally provide a release to the photographer if they were paying them.   Indeed, they are entitled to, and expect privacy when they go to a studio photographer for portraits, headshots or modeling shots.

When you spell it out though, make the agreement clear and also be sure you are giving the model something of tangible value in return for the release.  I say that because she is a client, i.e. you are demanding that she pay you in addition to giving you the release.

Good luck to you and just be a little more clear in the future.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan provided you with the best advise and saved me 5 minutes of writting you the same.

I can add that if she wants a CD, you can give her a CD with the unedited low res, water mark images for her to review.
On a similar case but on a TFP with a contract that stated that I will pick up the proof ( 50 more or less) the model still want to see a particular picture that she thought turn out. I expend 5 minutes talking to her, emailed her the image and she got convince to trust my judgment. I had said the image that you want is not flattering for you because .....
She appreciated that I understood her point of view and that I expend the time to work with her.
End of the deal.

May 13 07 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

So question now... Shes still pissed even though I offered her a contact sheet 3 fucking times. Can I use the images for my portfolio? I've never had this happen before.

May 13 07 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Terra Dawn Photography

Kirkland, Washington, US

I, personally, don't want any work that I am not proud of floating around on the net or anything else.  Therefore, I tell the model upfront how many images in print she will be getting.  (That is usually around five images in print from Mpix.com and can be anywhere from 10-50 images on the disc.)  That may sound stingy, but, like I said....I don't want images I am not proud of out there.  If I give the model ten images on the disc, she will be damn sure that she is getting a great selection of portfolio images. 

This will work different when I get a job in which I am getting payed by a higher authority, I am sure....but for now.....this is my business and the model either likes it, or doesn't.  That being said, I also believe that this is one of those topics that has soooo many different answers.  Everyone here runs their "business" in different ways.  So, good luck with yours!!

Terra Dawn

May 13 07 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

Can anyone help me with the usage question since no release was signed? She told me during the shoot I could use them on my website if that helps any..

May 13 07 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

David A Verespie wrote:
So question now... Shes still pissed even though I offered her a contact sheet 3 fucking times. Can I use the images for my portfolio? I've never had this happen before.

I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this... but

.. here's what I suggest. Give her the photos.. Low Res, of course, On a CD, and wash your hands of the situation..  If they are bad photos and you're worried about them being associated with your name do it under the condition that she agrees (in writing) not to credit you as the photographer and be done...

Yes, it is true... some photographers would not want to cave like this on principle. But you're about 85% responsible for not spelling out the expectations (in writing) in advance. So, you'll just have to eat it... If she agrees to not credit you then I don't see how they can damage your reputation.

And then, in parting ways you can give her a nice jab.. something like, "You know.. there's a difference between modeling and getting your picture took. Are you interested in modeling or just saying cheese." Just a subtle rib like that will make you feel a lot better.

Next time, ALL EXPECTATIONS need to be in writing. Even if it's not in Legalese.. An agreement in plain English is better than none.

May 13 07 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

David A Verespie wrote:
Can anyone help me with the usage question since no release was signed? She told me during the shoot I could use them on my website if that helps any..

Forget usage. You stepped into this mess. Now if I were you I'd just step out and wash and dry your feet with a crisp new $100 bill.

May 13 07 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

David A Verespie wrote:

You have some really nice images in your port.
Do you really need to use her images?
Give up
Avoid more headache for you.\You have a very limited use of the images if you do not have a release.

May 13 07 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

John Jebbia wrote:

Forget usage. You stepped into this mess. Now if I were you I'd just step out and wash and dry your feet with a crisp new $100 bill.

Listen to John.
Another wise man.

May 13 07 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jairo Cruz Rua

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

SusanInce wrote:
Somebody on here said its not standard practice for a model to get every photo shot of her...I don't know where he gets his practice but every photographer that I have worked with has given a cd the same day they did the photo shoot of me.  If i want them to edit them then I pay for him to edit up to a certain amt at a set price but all images of me belong to me..stop being selfish, if you help everybody get what they want then you will get what you want...stop living in fear and keep a good reputation..It is everything in this business.

HaHaHa....I'm glad I checked back in on this thread.
What the hell are some photographers doing to our trade? Man I really like working with professional clients.
I have been working on a contract for two months now. With a client in Arizona. I will have it singed this week. All that work averts all the stress other than that caused by the shoot itself.
I think all these new photographers that have no idea of what they are doing business wise should be banned from shooting with people. Landscapes only. enough of my rant.
Damn, CD the same day? Oh this one is priceless "but all images of me belong to me"
OK now, I'm going to bed. Not the least bit worried that I will loose any work over this kind of practice.
J

May 13 07 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jairo Cruz Rua

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

David A Verespie wrote:

Delete them and move on.
Oh, sorry I should be in bed.
G'nite

May 13 07 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ghosts of Pilgrim State

Sayville, New York, US

$1, $10, $100 0r a million does not matter, you set a price. You did not say she only got what you gave her so either edit every thing or give her the shots like they are.

PS if she wants to play in photo shop, she can do it with edited shots as well.

May 13 07 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

1. No one but you has the right to PS these images under copyright law.  Tell her that.  Then give her the images.

2.  Shows you what a pain a $100 shoot can be.

May 13 07 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

I did say a shoot and edited images on CD.

Not a cd of all unedited images.

I know she can play with edited shots in PS.

FJL Photo wrote:
$1, $10, $100 0r a million does not matter, you set a price. You did not say she only got what you gave her so either edit every thing or give her the shots like they are.

PS if she wants to play in photo shop, she can do it with edited shots as well.

May 13 07 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bevan Pryor

Macon, Georgia, US

simple  client pays for shoot client owns rights, "you have none without a release".
she is entitled to the proofs and to processed images of her choice. she is not entitled to the negs or digital cds "the new neg" and can only have reproductions
thru you at a standard print fee or unit cost.

You can never publish to the web or ad flyer any image from a paid shoot with out a release from the client.

May 13 07 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jerry Coleman  wrote:
1. No one but you has the right to PS these images under copyright law.  Tell her that.  Then give her the images.

That isn't necessarily true.  That isn't exactly what is written in copyright act, but that is a discussion we can have another day.

May 13 07 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Since she is not happy (or understand what a contact sheet is) send her a low res small image or each shot with a watermark.
If she is still not happy offer her 30x40's of all images, retouched, matted and framed and she will still not be satisfied!

May 13 07 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Since she is not happy (or understand what a contact sheet is) send her a low res small image or each shot with a watermark.
If she is still not happy offer her 30x40's of all images, retouched, matted and framed and she will still not be satisfied!

May 14 07 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Jairo Cruz Rua

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Bevan Pryor wrote:
simple  client pays for shoot client owns rights, "you have none without a release".
she is entitled to the proofs and to processed images of her choice. she is not entitled to the negs or digital cds "the new neg" and can only have reproductions
thru you at a standard print fee or unit cost.

You can never publish to the web or ad flyer any image from a paid shoot with out a release from the client.

And this is way off " client pays for shoot client owns rights" Simply put the finger that pushed the button owns the rights.
I hope you haven't been running your business like this.

another day, and I'm going back to bed

May 14 07 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

Give her all the shots. What's the worst that can happen? She MAY use something you don't like...but probably not.

May 15 07 05:43 am Link

Photographer

StereoSix

Redlands, California, US

on all the tfcd shoots ive been to, i've gotten a number of edited photos and the ENTIRE disc of unedited photos.

the one and only time i didnt get the pictures was when i was HIRED to do them, then i only got the edited ones.

oh im a model and a photographer.

May 15 07 05:48 am Link