Forums > General Industry > How thick is your skin ?

Model

DIVIANA DEVOUR

San Juan, Puerto Rico, US

Posted by McKenzie: 
    I am pretty thick skinned, it is funny we mention this in a forum.  I have been told that I need to lose weight, I have been told that I have a tummy, I have been told what I have to eat...yeah sounds funny doesn't it..it is.  Because...I am a mother of two kids, I DON'T need to lose weight, Models come in a variety of sizes, weight and looks.  And no one needs to tell me what I can or cannot do.  I have had LOTS of good remarks too, but it is always a difference in opinion and what that person is looking for.  I think that if someone is going to give constructive criticism, I think it should be given in a decent manner not come right out and be rude about it.  Obviously some people have lost their manners in today's society.  You can get the point across without being down right rude and obnoxious about it.  It does help people to give some constructive criticism, and for those who do and are not rude about it, that is very much appreciated by all models I am sure.  Models and Photographers have to have thick skin in this industry.  There are too many different opinions out there...and like people...a variety of differences. 

McKenzie

Very well said. I agree its what I feel also. To each their own. we all have our own look, style persona. Rock on!!!

May 18 05 01:29 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

my belly skin is about 2 inches.

May 18 05 03:05 am Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Posted by StaciF: 
I agree that constructive critizism is what helps us get better....I appreciate all comments. Now If your commenting on a models port the comments should help the model improve- Ex: This pose is flattering, try a different expression Etc... and if your commenting on a photographers port the comments should help them....
  And for the record I have 2 comments on my port - Hot, and Beautiful....Nice to hear but they don't help me improve...
  I am a firm believer that there is always room for improvement....
  Just my 2 cents.....

Amen to that! How many times can you hear 'beautiful' or 'hot' or even 'amazing'? I think those are the most misused words when it comes to critiques.

May 18 05 06:28 am Link

Photographer

[ b ] e c k e r

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

i know this question was originally posed to models, but i stopped caring what other people thought of my work a long time ago. i couldn't give two shits if anyone didn't like what i was doing... having said that... if i were a model, and someone told me i had a big nose or i was too fat... i don't think i'd appreciate that too much.

[ b ]

May 18 05 07:25 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

what really has happen in that it's not the thickness of our emotions, it's that we now live in a world of e-mail responses for which we show no emotional connection to each other. It's so exciting to see your eyes dialate to each expreesive sounds as to our work. It's so easy to dismiss a simple remakr into World War III, when all I said was that image sucked big time. So don't take it wrong I am not rejecting the person for  that images, but something just doesn't click.....stop taking it personal..I want your growth to be always your best

May 18 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Alexandra Paris: 

Posted by StaciF: 
I agree that constructive critizism is what helps us get better....I appreciate all comments. Now If your commenting on a models port the comments should help the model improve- Ex: This pose is flattering, try a different expression Etc... and if your commenting on a photographers port the comments should help them....
  And for the record I have 2 comments on my port - Hot, and Beautiful....Nice to hear but they don't help me improve...
  I am a firm believer that there is always room for improvement....
  Just my 2 cents.....

Amen to that! How many times can you hear 'beautiful' or 'hot' or even 'amazing'? I think those are the most misused words when it comes to critiques.

sometimes that's all there is to say. it's just an expression of how you feel, it's a compliment, it means it works for you, it's an acknowledgment, an affirmation, an appreciation. it's also a communication, it's probably a good bet that if a photographer or MUA tells a model they're beautiful, or a model or MUA tells a photographer that's a great shot or whatever, that this is someone that might have some interest in working with you. that's useful.

not every photo needs a detailed critique of exactly what works or why it works, sometimes it just works, it hits you right. it's probably more often easier to be specific about things that don't work. but as we can see in this thread and in reactions to criticsm, people don't seem to want to hear about what doesn't work or why.

May 18 05 07:43 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

The thing is, a critique is sinply an opinion. Someone could think my ass looks huge in a shot, and another person could appreciate the picture and adore the way my ass looks in it. *shrug* If something is phrased "that pose isn't flattering", that is helpful. "You have a fat ass" simply is not.

May 18 05 09:51 pm Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

I used to get hella bent when I first started and people weere just raggin' on me left and right...I'd admit it hurt..but after a while...You just don't care..you CAN NOT be perfect for everyones taste..so why bother? Focus on what is good about you and forget the nastyness that everyone else says..it MEANS nothing. You don't have to like me..just like yourself...

IF it's legit critique than take it into account...it maybe you're doing something wrong..and you can tweak it...if it's meant to improve and not jsut tear you down..than it's worth reviewing and thinking about...

overall you MUST develop THICK skin in this business or you'd be a crying mess everytime you walk into an agency and the booker doesn't like your look, or your height or your nose or your haircolor..whatever it is..it's a good way to humble a huge ego...

May 19 05 07:23 am Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

Lets face it, criticism hurts, even if it's well meant.  Nobody likes to hear that their work - especially artistic, isn't perfect.  My wife still laughes at me because I moped around for weeks after a mentor of mine (and employer) told me that a photograph I took just plain looked like it was taken by "uncle Bob".  He was right, of course, and I had to pull my head out and work harder.

I'm to the point that I can take a professional photograph but I can still take a "uncle Bob" snapshot too. Criticism is still an essential part of developement.

The same thing applies to models.  Many new models that think because they have good looks that every photo taken of them is going to be exceptional.  They too can receive critisim and improve.

I'm bored today.  I'm posting way too much.

May 19 05 10:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Remember Happy Gilmore?

"Block the bad...  Harness the good..."

May 19 05 10:38 am Link

Model

Yaya

Marietta, Georgia, US

Your skin should be a little bit thick if you want to excel in this field. Constructive Criticism is something that can help you improve your images and hence your career, and everyone should welcome that, and take it to heart I think. No reason to get your feelings hurt.
The kind of radical negativity some of us get though - why, that topic belongs in the "haters" thread.

Yaya
www.angelicstar.net

May 19 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by eric: 
Models: If a photographer were to leave a comment on one of your photos saying it wasn't as strong as your other shots, or it had an amateur look, or it made you look fat or ugly or cheesy (but stated nicely) would you appreciate the criticism or take it personally and react defensively ?

I think it's all about how it's delivered. 

If I give a model feedback, I make sure it was asked for first.  I don't just start flapping my mouth off.  Despite being a real sweet guy, I am also very direct and honest - and am always judicious about delivering it in a positive, non-personal way.

If I share my images and am getting feedback, all I ask is that it is substantive and has some value and merit.  Honest, sincere critique is always welcome.  The only comments that piss me off are those of the dismissive, lightweight variety.

Generally, find something positive first, and then follow it with the negative.  If you can't find something positive, well, you may be dealing with the wrong people.

May 20 05 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Jayson Harrington

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Hummm lemmie find out...  ** starts cutting into skin to mesure thickness and faints from the pain**

I would rather have some one tell me my work is S%&T...then have some one say nothing...the fact that someone took the time to say my work is S%&T...gives it some value...however smelly....

May 20 05 12:16 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Posted by  Vamp Goddess: 

Posted by McKenzie: 
    I am pretty thick skinned, it is funny we mention this in a forum.  I have been told that I need to lose weight, I have been told that I have a tummy, I have been told what I have to eat...yeah sounds funny doesn\'t it..it is.  Because...I am a mother of two kids, I DON\'T need to lose weight, Models come in a variety of sizes, weight and looks.  And no one needs to tell me what I can or cannot do.  I have had LOTS of good remarks too, but it is always a difference in opinion and what that person is looking for.  I think that if someone is going to give constructive criticism, I think it should be given in a decent manner not come right out and be rude about it.  Obviously some people have lost their manners in today\'s society.  You can get the point across without being down right rude and obnoxious about it.  It does help people to give some constructive criticism, and for those who do and are not rude about it, that is very much appreciated by all models I am sure.  Models and Photographers have to have thick skin in this industry.  There are too many different opinions out there...and like people...a variety of differences. 

McKenzie

Very well said. I agree its what I feel also. To each their own. we all have our own look, style persona. Rock on!!!

Thank you for the support, I am glad to see some people have a similar take or insight to some issues.

McKenzie

May 20 05 12:35 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

How thick is my skin? Well considering that I just got upset in another thread here, I guess not very thick. I think we all have insecurities, and most things we shrug off but there will always be something for most people that will hit a nerve. And as always, consider the source.

Its not a big deal when I am not what the client is looking for. It is a business after all. I can handle that.

May 21 05 04:32 pm Link

Model

KiraRhian

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by eric: 
Models: If a photographer were to leave a comment on one of your photos saying it wasn't as strong as your other shots, or it had an amateur look, or it made you look fat or ugly or cheesy (but stated nicely) would you appreciate the criticism or take it personally and react defensively ?

I am all for constructive criticism; however, I believe that is should be kept private between you and the person giving the criticism.  The critism is something that is ment for you, not for everyone else so it should be kept to that one person.

May 22 05 10:21 am Link

Model

MsGabrielle

Los Angeles, California, US

In my opinion you must have tough skin in this industry, thats the only way your going to make it to the top! If you cry and take everything someone says to another level, than your just hurting yourself!

We all have been told NO by an agency, everybody has there opinions on what photos they like and the ones they dont! I've had lots of people like some of my photos and others who didnt care for them....

So you just gotta take all that criticism (good and bad), and use it as fuel to your success!!!
I took my portfolio into an agency here in LA and they didnt like me and told me I needed to take better pics! Later I sent that same portfolio to an agency in Italy, and they loved it and signed me right away......so everybody has their opinion!!! Just take it in and dont let it get the best of you........

May 22 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Kathleen Bimson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It just depends on the context.  In a situation such as this site, random critiques are probably not going to go over well. 

If I'm seeking a critique from a specific, I want to hear it all, don't hold anything back.  If I'm not seeking anything, I'm probably not listening so it doesn't really matter what they say, I won't hear it smile

May 22 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I know this was for models but my skin is thick, with odd defensive layers. I was just told, by someone on MM in private (thankyou for making it a private e-mail,) that my portfolio just "didn't cut it."
So I of course immediately think to myself I am a horrible photographer and should just go find a day job somewhere. Does anyone else here always seem to believe the bad remarks and not the good ones?

May 22 05 09:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I am pretty thick skinned and if the critisism is coming from someone successful in the business, someone with a decent portfolio and real clients....someone that I admire, I listen.

It irritates me when I hear critisism from someone who just can't make it in the business themselves.  Thats why I never ask for critiques on the internet.  I have a group of people I admire that I will ask for honest critiques and this has helped me a lot in my career. If you do ask on the internet for critiques you will get mostly people that have no clue about this business replying within the boundries of their own personal taste and not real working knowledge and that does you no good at all. 

I would go as far as to say that when I hear a negative remark from someone that can't make it in the business it may encourage me that I am headed in the right direction.

analogy....

Would you ask someone who is bankrupt and living in a trailer for financial advice?   If you do you would probably be smart to do the opposite of whatever he or she advises you.

May 22 05 10:27 pm Link