Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Mascara: do you use disposable wands?

Makeup Artist

Seema Haider

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I have been having issues lately with mascara. All these new mascaras out with hi tech wands on them. I always use disposables, it defeats the purpose of the high tech mascara for me. My question is do any of you use the wand provided in the original mascara when working with models? how do you deal with the hygiene issue?

thanks!

May 30 07 07:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I know! It's usually the wand I like and not so much the mascara.  For myself I bought a more expensive mascara and when it finished I bought the cheaper stuff but I still use the wand from the expensive mascara.

May 30 07 07:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lottie

Absolutely always use disposable wands. When Chanel came out with the new rubber wand, I asked the SA for a bunch of the tester disposables with the same wand so I use those as well as regular disposables

May 30 07 07:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

bellezza originals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Saffronh - Seema Haider wrote:
I have been having issues lately with mascara. All these new mascaras out with hi tech wands on them. I always use disposables, it defeats the purpose of the high tech mascara for me. My question is do any of you use the wand provided in the original mascara when working with models? how do you deal with the hygiene issue?

thanks!

May 30 07 07:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have TONS of mascara fans that I bought from an eBay merchant.  I love them.  They came in 20 per pack.  I like the fans much better than the wands.

May 30 07 07:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

bellezza originals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I really like the wands on a wide array of mascaras, but...god forbid you use it on someone with something (and you'll never know) or, repeated use on varies models with nothing at all can lead to bacteria build up. So, if i'm going to use mascara I like lancome's and believe it or not loreal lash out, i think it's great, with the best disposible wands possible. better to use disposables than give someone pink eye. However, more than not, i use disposables, in real life (unless your doing lash by lash) they look a bit ridiculous, but in pics, disposables look the best (more drama) if the lashes you come across are too ridiculous, just cut them to the shape that you want. I really think disposables are the safest and fastet way to get the best results.

May 30 07 07:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

bellezza originals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

disposables...I mean disposable false eye lashes! sorry!

May 30 07 07:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Amber Barrios

Long Beach, California, US

Lisa, I have been looking for the fans.  Do you have the link for the ebay merchant?

May 30 07 07:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Charlotte Bentley

New York, New York, US

Of course. Or my 20 fans which are washable and sanitized. Billy B may not use new brushes, but I'm all for cleanliness and sanitation.

May 30 07 08:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

I save the old wands from mascara tubes and reuse them.  I clean and santize them every time after each use.

May 30 07 08:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

ohhh yeah disposables all the way.
But yes those new high tech wands are great. I ONLY use them when the person who is in my chair also gets to go home with the tube of mascara. then I can double dip to my hearts content smile (**** Disclaimer *****I only double dip when the tube belongs to the talent in my chair NEVER in a tube that is going back into my kit.)
But I have saved the actuall wands from the mascaras and then Clean and sanitize them and use them again.

May 30 07 09:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I've thought about doing what Deadly does.  Cause the brush really does make a difference.  But I'm so programmed to use disposables and that's what I've done for years and years.

May 30 07 09:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Here is one eBay merchant.  5 fan brushes  cant find my other one:  http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-5-MASCARA-FA … dZViewItem

Paula Dorf mascara fan brush is 5" long...i have 2 of those in my kit.  Plus these disposables, which i reuse...as they're nice and not cheaply made...they're just 2" long. 

I also highly recommend cake mascara.

Amber Barrios wrote:
Lisa, I have been looking for the fans.  Do you have the link for the ebay merchant?

May 30 07 10:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

_Alma_

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Absolutly ... I use only disposable wands.

May 30 07 10:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Amber Barrios wrote:

Go to the local craft store. I have 3 different ones- MUD, Cinema Secrets and a $4 craft store one... take a guess which is my favorite.

For anybody that is curious, check out your local art supply store. You can get great lipstick, liner, angled, concealer, fan brushes...etc.... Some of my favorite brushes are from the craft store.

May 30 07 11:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Seema Haider

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Lisa,

About the fan brush and cake mascara. is their a technique to this that works best? I have La Femme's Cake mascara but i still haven't mastered it hmm. Do you use the brush directly in the cake? or do you remove product from it and use it that way? Your advice would be greatly appreciated

May 31 07 12:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabeth Lakomsky

New York, New York, US

Anyone know where I can get the smallest possible disposable wands? I'm having an issue with getting close to the lashline with the regular ones. Right now I'm using Alcone, but I need smaller wands (by smaller I mean the actual brush part, not the wand)

May 31 07 01:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Seema Haider

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I use a fan brush and gel liner to get close to the lashline first or tightline with liner first.

May 31 07 02:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I use it on the cake.  You have to clean the fan off like a brush....to get the right consistency. I don't know how to explain it other than that.  I sometimes use a fibre mascara on the 2nd coat...from Lancome...it's just a matter of feel to me.  I sometimes use two texture mascaras like that.  Depends on the exact need for the look.  I spray the cake with alcohol after each use and let it dry.

Saffronh - Seema Haider wrote:
Lisa,

About the fan brush and cake mascara. is their a technique to this that works best? I have La Femme's Cake mascara but i still haven't mastered it hmm. Do you use the brush directly in the cake? or do you remove product from it and use it that way? Your advice would be greatly appreciated

May 31 07 02:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I concur.  Get thee to the arts store for brushes. 

rachelrose wrote:

Go to the local craft store. I have 3 different ones- MUD, Cinema Secrets and a $4 craft store one... take a guess which is my favorite.

For anybody that is curious, check out your local art supply store. You can get great lipstick, liner, angled, concealer, fan brushes...etc.... Some of my favorite brushes are from the craft store.

May 31 07 02:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

KeniaSantana

Miami, Florida, US

I normally use the disposable mascara wands on the lashes, then use the fan brush to apply cream mascara to the top side of the lashes (to make sure they look absolutely natural and beautiful).

May 31 07 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

i tell the model to usually bring their own mascara so i don't waste my wands and i can double dip in there without consequence then.  if not then i just use my disposable wands.

May 31 07 08:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

IzzyOnTheEyes aka Liz L wrote:
Anyone know where I can get the smallest possible disposable wands? I'm having an issue with getting close to the lashline with the regular ones. Right now I'm using Alcone, but I need smaller wands (by smaller I mean the actual brush part, not the wand)

I use these sometimes for the lower lashes.

http://www.dentist.net/butler-gum-go-betweens.asp

May 31 07 08:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

David Klasfeld

New York, New York, US

There is no question here: you absolutely must use disposables. Reusing the same mascara wand between clients is the most sure-fire way to spread any type of infection, more so than any other tool you use. Even the cosmetic companies have gone so far as to print warnings about not sharing mascara on their packaging. If this really bothers you, buy a new mascara for each client you work on and build the cost of it into your fee. I do know several artists who do this.

May 31 07 09:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

About Faces-Lynn wrote:
I use these sometimes for the lower lashes.

http://www.dentist.net/butler-gum-go-betweens.asp

Such a great idea!

May 31 07 10:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Thuy Anh wrote:
i tell the model to usually bring their own mascara so i don't waste my wands and i can double dip in there without consequence then.  if not then i just use my disposable wands.

I used to do this way back when I was first starting out. The probelm with asking a model to bring their own mascara is 90% of the time their mascara is all gummy and should be pitched.
Its easier to just work the cost of a new tube into my rate. this way I am happy and the model wont get pink eye or something worse.  smile

May 31 07 12:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Seema Haider

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

thanks everyone. I will keep using disposables for sure. Sanitation is huge thing for me too. I like the idea of experimenting with the Cake mascara though. I may try Dis. wands with that and see how full it looks.

Cheers!

May 31 07 01:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Totally, they are my best friends smile
Ok that and that really cool lipgloss from Urban Decay...  =P

May 31 07 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

Use disposables.  Your clients won't but should thank you. I use 1-4 per model.

I cut the fancy wand off so it doesn't collect and waste product.  O.K. it's so I don't use it when I'm taking to long and can't find my bag of disposables.

That way I don't get hooked on some fancy wand and have to buy a new mascara for every shoot.

I don't think any kind of washing short of an autoclave (melts plastic) would clean it enough to use it again.  I do save and clean the new fancy ones I've never used and use them for brushing and trimming brows.

I've also trimmed disposable wands to suit specific needs like a model with lower lashes that are hard to get to.  It may take several trys with most of them falling apart to get one good one.

Frank

May 31 07 08:28 pm Link

Model

brit dove

Denton, Texas, US

Just an alternative.....I acually was trained and use a brush mostly the angle brush to apply mascara... I take some mascara out with the wand it came with and then use the brush to apply . Main reasoins I use a brush is sanitary purposes and you can get close to the eyeline, and prevent clumping....its just another technique ...some people love it and others despise it...but at least give it a try.

May 31 07 11:12 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Frank Mattoni wrote:
Use disposables.  Your clients won't but should thank you. I use 1-4 per model.

I thank you. I want to cringe every time I see a make-up artist come at me with the wand straight from the tube.  It's simply amazong how many "pros" do this.

Jun 01 07 12:03 am Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

Yeah and no double dipping on the disposables either.

You can cut off the gloss wands and use those little tight pointy cotton q-tips(not the cheap ones that leave fibers behind) to apply.

Also when you cut the wands your stuff wont "disappear as much".

Jun 01 07 12:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brandy M Rich MUA

Denver, Colorado, US

Frank Mattoni wrote:
Yeah and no double dipping on the disposables either.

You can cut off the gloss wands and use those little tight pointy cotton q-tips(not the cheap ones that leave fibers behind) to apply.

Also when you cut the wands your stuff wont "disappear as much".

Thanks for the tip Frank!  I have been going through gloss & mascara like crazy.  I will start cutting all of the ends off.

As for disposable wands - MAC (I know some of you dispise them) Pro actually makes really good ones along with the q-tips Frank was talking about.  They are $6 for a pack of 25 (before pro discount).  Unless you know someone that works there who will throw a couple of store packs in when you go in a purchase a lot yikes

Jun 07 07 06:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meena Heartsong

Columbia, Missouri, US

bumping because I looooove these
http://www.nigelbeauty.com/p-17964-msd- … -25ct.aspx

and just did a group shoot where many were double-dipping.

It may be hard to speak up and keep them from touching your face, but is it worth eye infections, herpes, or an acne breakout? Or worse, things like flesh eating bacteria, I'm SERIOUS. It's out there and happens!

Ask your artist about their sanitation techniques and don't compromise on health.

Jul 02 12 02:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LaLaMakeup

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was so excited to see that Qosmedix had so many different sizes of mascara wands, including silicone ones and bottom lash ones. I can't wait to get a variety because the "one size fits all" rule definitely doesn't work with mascara wands. I use the different formulas of great lash on most people...it seems to do the best in the largest number of situations.

Jul 02 12 02:35 pm Link

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I always use them when doing makeup on someone else (I keep my kit mu separate from my personal mu). When mua's do makeup on me, and they use the tube's mascara wand, I get squirmy.
Haven't lost my eyes yet though!

Jul 02 12 04:38 pm Link

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Also, I just realized how freakishly old this thread is

Jul 02 12 04:39 pm Link

Model

Centia Rose

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

Does anyone know if it's possible to get sample sized mascaras in bulk? Because that to me sounds like it would be ideal.

Jul 02 12 04:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

Princeton, New Jersey, US

Centia Rose wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to get sample sized mascaras in bulk? Because that to me sounds like it would be ideal.

+1 great question!

Jul 02 12 05:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Cleary

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I use disposables ALWAYS, but lately I have also been using this:

http://www.raemorris.com/index.php/brus … t=12302777

I put a little mascara on my stainless steel palette and coat the metal comb. I can get right in to the lash line and mascara is perfect every time. And because it's metal, sterilizing is not an issue.

Don't forget to always sterilize/change the rubber on your lash curler between clients! Loads of MUA's forget this!

Jul 02 12 10:16 pm Link