Forums > General Industry > Am I Too Old To Start This??

Model

contrastdynamic

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

nicci wrote:
I'm 5'11, can you see me asking if there's any chance for me in petite modeling?

Why can't shorter models just accept that they weren't made for fashion and leave it at that? There's tons of other directions you can go in, so stop sulking about the ones that you can't.

Truth?
Because a lot of us believe that the fashion industry has gone awry and that clothes are not being designed for us because they are being designed for 6 foot models.
We hope a photographer will be into teasing those limits a bit or possibly even spitting on them. Now you are are a valuable segment of the population by being tall and some section of the clothes should always be designed for you, but not all of it.

Some of us, though are tired of being underserved.

As for the age thing, depends on your goals. There was a lady who wrote a book on her experiences modeling from her start until now, and I think she's 65.
Anyone know who I'm thinking of? She has white hair now.

Feb 16 09 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

HarryL

Chicago, Illinois, US

I’ am 47 smilesmile @ summertime I bike 200 miles every week

Feb 16 09 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Gretchen Austin wrote:
Am I Too Old To Start This??

You are a lot younger than me, and I have no age related problems doing what I want.

Feb 16 09 09:41 pm Link

Model

Lynn Louise

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Tom Rockwell wrote:
Look around here for a thread "In praise of older models" and you'll see there's lots of interest in older models.

big_smile

Feb 17 09 06:09 am Link

Model

CrystalCarter91

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Gretchen Austin wrote:
I recently came across a comment for a girl's portfolio in which she was told "you're only going to get catalog work, you're getting too old, and you look it...I'm almost too old for modeling too"

I decided to look for myself and saw that she's 27. The woman who made the comment was 44. Hmmmmmm.  It got me thinking.

I'm 24.  I JUST NOW found the drive from within to get behind the lens of a stranger's camera.  I have NO idea where this will take me.
But does my age already limit a lot of what I CAN do????

I'm just curious to know if it's "laughable" for me to expect to start any kind of portfolio @ the age of 24.   ??????????????????

lol, I guess when passion over takes me I forget to stop and ask for directions before I get on the road!!

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated!!!  (unless you're going to tell me to stop now b/c I'll get NO work @ 24 ---- b/c I'd have to call bullshit on that one!)  ;-))  I just want to hear what people have to say in regards to how age can affect a model.

Thanks!

-Gretchen

I think that if you really want to do something and you have you mind set Do IT!!
If someone has the nerve to say you are too old to do something forget them..
Everyone has their own opinion and theirs probably doesnt matter..
I wish you the best of luck on what ever you decide..
Good luck,

Crystal Carter.

Feb 17 09 06:14 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Why did this 2 year old thread get bumped?

Feb 17 09 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Bumps happen

Feb 17 09 09:26 am Link

Model

Ashley Graham

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

e-string wrote:

SAomeone wanted to bitch about how they can be a fashion model and short

Feb 17 09 09:45 am Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

They do like 'em young.

I felt so out of place when I started at 20.  I got signed at 22, and when I would come in to get some pointers on runway, etc, I would be joined with some 16 year old girls who just got signed.  That, combined with hearing the coach talk about how "14-16 is a great time to perfect your craft!" I would just feel so ooooooold sad

Feb 17 09 10:13 am Link

Model

contrastdynamic

Not bitching, was actually looking up the word older for other reasons. I saw the impassioned question by the other user and answered it.

I AM undeserved in the fashion industry, but it doesn't mean I'm saying it to bellyache. I am explaining my presence and my willingness to wear fashionable clothes versus work glamor only and take them off for the photos. I am serving my cause, not just talking about it.

I don't expect to make a career, but I do expect to represent those who look like me and allow them to see what they might look like in the clothes I do get to wear. That includes both over 35 and fashionable as well as short and fashionable.

I am also of the opinion that there are some great designers right here on Mayhem who have the best chance of succeeding if they can work with models who are tall and short and can make clothes that look good on all women with various shapes and proportions.  It's working with only one type that makes designers weak.

Feb 17 09 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Danny Does Glamour

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Gretchen Austin wrote:
For fun.... I know it's not a career for me. It's just an ego booster. lol  No really...it's more than that. I LOVE photos that look like you just cut them out of a magazine. (a good magazine)  :-))  I'll probably be returning to college to work on my law degree or in political science ....  in which case all my photos will come back to haunt me!!

This photo of yours?

https://img8.modelmayhem.com/070530/00/465cff1c7bb38_m.jpg

... is another example of what I think is a great shot.

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't realize the OP posted so long ago.

Feb 17 09 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Mallow Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

contrastdynamic wrote:
Truth?
Because a lot of us believe that the fashion industry has gone awry and that clothes are not being designed for us because they are being designed for 6 foot models.

I think this is the best point to be made about how things are. For a photographer, it shouldn't matter how tall, how old, how skinny you are... but photographers are not the ones dictating this stuff. A photographer is approached by say a clothing company, and generally its them who dictates the size of the model they want, and what kind of age group, and height, etc. And I know that at least in London, most female models (not the same for the men) are just finished at about age 25, unless they look a whole lot younger than they are.

EDIT: I mean, finished as far as agency representation goes. never have I met a model thats worked with storm, fm, oxygen, etc, that is under 6 foot, and above about 23 years old.

Feb 17 09 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Danny Does Glamour

Atlanta, Georgia, US

contrastdynamic wrote:
I am also of the opinion that there are some great designers right here on Mayhem who have the best chance of succeeding if they can work with models who are tall and short and can make clothes that look good on all women with various shapes and proportions.  It's working with only one type that makes designers weak.

This statement contradicts reality unfortunately.

Edited because my first response sounded unintentionally mean.

Feb 17 09 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

ChanStudio wrote:
That all depends on what type of modeling you are interested in.

Exactly. There are no limits, anyone that tells you otherwise is just bitter, but the fact is some goals are realistic and some are much much much more difficult to achieve and may not be possible by normal routes. It helps to realize that. There are always exceptions for every rule but everyone doesn't have what it takes to be that exception. 

A) Investing time/money/effort into quality photographers, networking, etc has its benefits.
B) patience is vital, dont expect overnight success
C) find your niche and work it
D) don't judge your success or failure compared to some 16 yr old in Vogue

Feb 17 09 10:48 am Link

Model

contrastdynamic

If it looks great on the tall model and the short lady trying on the clothes, that is the reality they really want. That means long term, they can succeed.
It doesn't mean my photo makes their ads, but it could mean I help decide which design will be most popular with the masses.

That IS reality.

Feb 17 09 10:49 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Gretchen Austin wrote:
I recently came across a comment for a girl's portfolio in which she was told "you're only going to get catalog work, you're getting too old, and you look it...I'm almost too old for modeling too"

I decided to look for myself and saw that she's 27. The woman who made the comment was 44. Hmmmmmm.  It got me thinking.

I'm 24.  I JUST NOW found the drive from within to get behind the lens of a stranger's camera.  I have NO idea where this will take me.

I'm just curious to know if it's "laughable" for me to expect to start any kind of portfolio @ the age of 24.   ??????????????????

lol, I guess when passion over takes me I forget to stop and ask for directions before I get on the road!!

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated!!!  (unless you're going to tell me to stop now b/c I'll get NO work @ 24 ---- b/c I'd have to call bullshit on that one!)  ;-))  I just want to hear what people have to say in regards to how age can affect a model.

Thanks!

-Gretchen

well that depends on what are your goals and aspirations, the main thing is you have passion for what you do, you have fun, you be safe and at the end of the day you did your best, nothing else is really all that important or so i keep telling myself

Feb 17 09 10:51 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

contrastdynamic wrote:
Not bitching, was actually looking up the word older for other reasons. I saw the impassioned question by the other user and answered it.

I AM undeserved in the fashion industry, but it doesn't mean I'm saying it to bellyache. I am explaining my presence and my willingness to wear fashionable clothes versus work glamor only and take them off for the photos. I am serving my cause, not just talking about it.

I don't expect to make a career, but I do expect to represent those who look like me and allow them to see what they might look like in the clothes I do get to wear. That includes both over 35 and fashionable as well as short and fashionable.

what a kool attitude, i think you are right there are some amazing designers here on MM

Feb 17 09 10:53 am Link

Model

contrastdynamic

DDG, I'm not sure you dictate reality either.  You only need one Dana Karan type of the next generation to turn a trend.

Feb 17 09 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Hennrik

Munich, Bavaria, Germany

The agency I am scouting for has just signed up this beautiful lady. Question answered?

https://www.mia-modelagency.com/modelpics/473_1.jpg

Feb 17 09 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Danny Does Glamour

Atlanta, Georgia, US

contrastdynamic wrote:
If it looks great on the tall model and the short lady trying on the clothes, that is the reality they really want. That means long term, they can succeed.
It doesn't mean my photo makes their ads, but it could mean I help decide which design will be most popular with the masses.

That IS reality.

But how is anyone going to see your picture in the clothes if you aren't in the ad? Isn't the whole point of the ad to sell the clothes? And don't they use tall models for that? And don't short people buy the clothes anyway?

Your statement is not reality.

Feb 17 09 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Danny Does Glamour

Atlanta, Georgia, US

contrastdynamic wrote:
DDG, I'm not sure you dictate reality either.  You only need one Dana Karan type of the next generation to turn a trend.

No I don't dictate reality. But you're fantasizing about the way things should be as opposed to the way they are.

Feb 17 09 11:01 am Link

Model

contrastdynamic

Fantasizing, no.

Influencing, yes, in the little ways a single person can do. If I've helped to perfect one design so it looks good on more people, or helped one designer design for a VIP with a similar figure and coloring, then I'm happy.

Or if I've helped a photographer show that they are capable of photographing mature women as well as younger ones, you never know what job it might give them. Neiman Marcus special section? 'More' Magazine spread? Who knows.

Feb 17 09 11:09 am Link

Model

Anne Marie Toy

Marlin, Texas, US

Hi. I am 51 and wondering if there was still an interest out there for older models. A few of my most recent photos are listed on this site but my portfolio is out of date and I need a new one. Hopefully someone out ther might work out a deal for free modeling and use of some photos in exchange for updated portfolio. In the past I did quite alot of professional modeling and some USO tours, then came kids and a husband in the navy so we moved constantly. Now I am contemplating getting back in the game. Hopefully there are still opportunities for me. What is your opinion. Thanks Anne Toy [email protected]

Jun 03 09 06:48 am Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

Los Angeles, California, US

LT Smash wrote:

SAomeone wanted to bitch about how they can be a fashion model and short

+1

hahahah

Jun 03 09 07:15 am Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

Los Angeles, California, US

OP you have to be realistic.

Anyone can model on MM regardless of age, height, whatever.

In the modeling world of agency representation, freelance, WORKING models you have to fit within the standards.

Fashion agencies very, VERY seldom take on models older than 23+ and under 5'9.

Commercial agencies are a little more lenient but being older works against more than it does for you.

Just starting out you have so much to learn. There's a reason models start out so young; because it takes such a long time to learn about modeling and the industry.

Jun 03 09 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Deadlynightshade wrote:
Commercial agencies are a little more lenient but being older works against more than it does for you.

Just starting out you have so much to learn. There's a reason models start out so young; because it takes such a long time to learn about modeling and the industry.

This is wrong in two respects.

First, if anything, older is better (up to a very high limit) in commercial modeling.  Being older works in your favor, because the demand is not much less than for younger models, but the competition is greatly less.

Second, the reason models start so young has nothing at all to do with "learning about the industry".  It's because there is a demand for young models.  People can and do start at any age, but in fashion in particular, there is a premium placed on youth.

Jun 03 09 11:13 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

edit: Damn.. I didnt realize this was a thread from 2007

Tom Rockwell wrote:
Look around here for a thread "In praise of older models" and you'll see there's lots of interest in older models.

better yet.. here is one for her to look at:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 09&page=15

Mature over 40 sexy models.. we are getting ready to publish our 2nd book and an 18 month calendar.

The first book came out in December, and has sold about 700 copies already.

Jun 03 09 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

jimo66

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

you are never to anything in persuit of your dreams

Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”

Jun 03 09 01:01 pm Link

Model

Lynn Louise

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

How old is too old.... Your never too old......
I think people put a stereotype that you need to be young to model, but that is really only in higher fashion, (except of course Juicy Couture which had for a while in their ads a like 70 year old woman)

However, there are tons of ads that need people from children to elderly not every company is going to want 19 year old girl for their flyers from anything from banking to medicare!

Just think about how many ads there are and the mixture of people on them.

Age is just a number, really.

Not all pro models are beautiful either.

All pro models are effective. Or else they don't get to model anymore.

Hey...if you got it, you got it. If you don't you don't.

Most of the top earners today are over the age of thirty.

Jun 03 09 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

The Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

Gretchen Austen wrote:

Yes it does.  MM is not reality and you must realize this.  I actually push real advertising in the lowest realm of advertising.  I don't care about age and height and such -  only if the model can get me the image to complement the client request.  The photography and such are just good enough as the fees are at the low end.  Now that is real modeling and the girls want the money from me to pay bills and such (except one that is holding on to her cheque for sentimental reasons).   Sometimes they like a certain photo, but mostly they want the money and that is it.  I just ran into one of my models and the first word out of her mouth was if I had any money for her.....hehehhehe.....

Lawyer is the better profession.....

BTW -  Keep things in reality.   MM is not the norm, see me having very few "friends" and such here.  I don't care, I pick up models on a dime right where I operate (and this is for regular shots no nudity/implied/fetish.....).  MM is just incase and they can contact me here.  Not happened yet.....heheheheh.....

Jun 04 09 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

e-string wrote:

??   smile

Jun 04 09 06:14 am Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Lynn Louise wrote:
How old is too old.... Your never too old......
I think people put a stereotype that you need to be young to model, but that is really only in higher fashion, (except of course Juicy Couture which had for a while in their ads a like 70 year old woman)

However, there are tons of ads that need people from children to elderly not every company is going to want 19 year old girl for their flyers from anything from banking to medicare!

Just think about how many ads there are and the mixture of people on them.

Age is just a number, really.

Not all pro models are beautiful either.

All pro models are effective. Or else they don't get to model anymore.

Hey...if you got it, you got it. If you don't you don't.

Most of the top earners today are over the age of thirty.

And most of those top earners over 30 have worked their way there over years of modeling!!!

Jun 04 09 08:07 am Link

Photographer

BRANDENBURG

Tampa, Florida, US

Gretchen Austen wrote:

Thanks!

-Gretchen

Get out there and do 5 or 10 shoots with good photogs.  Ask them in person these questions.  For ART there is no age, that's for sure.  My fave models are 24, 28 and 40!

Jun 04 09 08:15 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

As long as somebody want's to hire you, then you are never too old to start modeling. bs

Jun 04 09 08:13 pm Link