Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Freaking out over Roller sets

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

So I am now freaking out over my roller sets in school.
I got the hair parting down and the cutting. But now I can;t seem to get the roller set down. SHould I be worried? It is not even my full second week of school yet.

Jun 12 07 01:51 am Link

Hair Stylist

Vanessa Melgar

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Cool Artist2005 wrote:
So I am now freaking out over my roller sets in school.
I got the hair parting down and the cutting. But now I can;t seem to get the roller set down. SHould I be worried? It is not even my full second week of school yet.

nope.  those suck.  those always suck.  they will never NOT suck.  Very few people I went to school with really took to those.  Those and perms.  yuck.

There was probably ONE girl the entire time I was there who actually did those really well.

Jun 12 07 01:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

practice makes perfect. eventually it will click- and it will be a breeze.

That's how liplines were for me when I was a new artist. I used to struggle like hell with them. Then one day, I was just able to wrap my head around it and it's no longer something that I have trouble with.

Don't worry, try not to get frustrated. Practice. Ask questions. Observe others. You will survive.

Jun 12 07 01:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

You have at least nine months to practice.  Time is not now to stress.

Jun 12 07 01:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

thanks for the inspiration everyone

Jun 12 07 12:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KirbyMakeup

Bowie, Maryland, US

ROLLER SETS..... ARE YOU KIDDING????? I don't understand.....what part about the roller set are you having trouble with?

Jun 12 07 12:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KLF Makeup

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Once you bleach out your mannequin head the hair sill be softer and easier to bend.

Jun 12 07 02:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

KirbyMakeup wrote:
ROLLER SETS..... ARE YOU KIDDING????? I don't understand.....what part about the roller set are you having trouble with?

Our teacher really hasnt shown us how to do them but rather just keeps telling us to do them without showing us the right way. If that makes any kind of sense

Jun 12 07 03:27 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Vanessa Melgar

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Cool Artist2005 wrote:

Our teacher really hasnt shown us how to do them but rather just keeps telling us to do them without showing us the right way. If that makes any kind of sense

just keep your eye on the outsides of the section.  Most people have trouble with keeping the whole thing wrapped tight.  Use your thumbs to keep the tension on the hair on the ends of the roller.  Sucks that your teacher isn't showing you how.  That's kind of her/his job.  wtf.  Maybe ask them to SHOW you?  Say "I'm just not getting it, can you come and show me on my dollhead?"

Jun 12 07 03:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Yeah there is a proper way to put them if you want it to go faster.  Anybody can do a roller set.  But doing it the right way can shorten the amount of time it takes you to do it.

Jun 12 07 03:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

The school is a little screwy.
We have a different teacher everynight.
So tonight I will be asking the other teacher that we have to reshow me how to do them

Jun 12 07 04:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Well, one bit of wisdom - the hair sections should be just a bit narrower than the roller, and no thicker than the roller.

In other words, the roller length as you are wrapping the hair on it should be slightly (emphasis on slight) shorter.  The width is when you're looking straight down the hole.

To get volume that can be a bit hard to work with, roll above the hair section.  To get some volume, and a curl that's easier to work with, roll straight out from the section.  To get no height, and a curl that is not full from root to end, roll from below the section.  Each style has it's place, so practice all of them.

Jun 12 07 05:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

VI-VEmakeup n hairstyle

Dallas, Georgia, US

EmElle wrote:
Well, one bit of wisdom - the hair sections should be just a bit narrower than the roller, and no thicker than the roller.

In other words, the roller length as you are wrapping the hair on it should be slightly (emphasis on slight) shorter.  The width is when you're looking straight down the hole.

To get volume that can be a bit hard to work with, roll above the hair section.  To get some volume, and a curl that's easier to work with, roll straight out from the section.  To get no height, and a curl that is not full from root to end, roll from below the section.  Each style has it's place, so practice all of them.

very well said EmElle, i agree 100%

Jun 12 07 05:21 pm Link