Forums > Photography Talk > How distinctive is your work?

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Jim Ball wrote:

A Click Hamilton wedding shoot!  DO IT! big_smile

The key is in what you said above:  What's the purpose?  The photographers I think of with the truly distinctive stand-out, in-your-face styles are usually in it for the artistic expression and less so, or not at all for the money.

plz click go for it
tb

Jun 15 07 07:42 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Jun 15 07 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Wes Kroninger

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I think I am just finding my "style" or better yet "brand" however none of it is in my portfolio yet. I think I am actually evolving away from straight up commercial fashion photography to more of a cerebral editorial shooter. However I would like to meld the two disciplines together. Having been a professional photographer for only 3 years now I am evolving... but fast.

Jun 15 07 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Artwork

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

What I'm doing now is quite different IMO then what I was doing three months prior... and the same thing can be said for three months prior to that. I hope as time passes that I will have two recognizable and/or distinctive styles (one for digital art/one for photography.) At this point I'm just pushing hard to improve (technically) with both and trying to find ways to let the images tell a story. Ultimately I imagine many will follow a similar story... but for now it's a bit all over the place smile

Jun 15 07 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Sophia Katarzyna

London, Arkansas, US

I think my work is beginning to get a style, I haven't been photographing very long. maybe 3 years at the most.

But I think I'm starting to develop into the photographer I want to be. smile

Jun 15 07 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Randy_Craig_Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I think that my style if fairly distinctive... similarities in subject matter/types of location contribute to that also. Would be interested to know if others feel that way about my work too. Very interesting question...

Jun 15 07 10:01 am Link

Photographer

DarlaTeagarden

Austin, Texas, US

i think everything has been done...BUT, subject and continuity can play a role in recognizing a certain photographer for doing a certain thing....I think if you're very good, both creatively and technically,  diversity shouldn't loose your identity entirely...and of course, thats what most strive for, i would imagine.

Jun 15 07 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
This isn't meant to be a slam, just an observation. I went to your online folio to check the validity of your statement and I found a variety of pictures that look like 14 different guys took them. The only distinctively common thing they shared was the name across the bottom of the images, and even that wasn't used consistently.

Don't feel bad because there are only a handful of photographers on this site that have distinctive styles and some of those are borrowed from other more notorious shooters. It's a hard thing to come up with a distinctive style and you will only find it from within your own heart.

Michael Donovan wrote:
I'm following my heart.... when do I get my style?!

Settle down... you've been at this a year.

I was just reading some of the posts in the Jessalyn thread (which has turned into another popularity contest yet again) and I stumbled upon a dunce or two that listed Steiglitz and Steichen as having distinctive styles. A few more idiots chimed in and pretty soon they all agreed they know what they're talking about. This is what is making me crazy in here. So much bull spit and so very little knowledge. Go to the photography department at the Art Institute of Chicago and ask the curator to put out a random selection of Steichen's work (they have the largest collection of his work in the world according to the curator). Bring a friend along that has very little knowledge of or interest in photography. Ask her to see if she can tell how many of the images were made by the same guy. She may be able to pick two or three that have enough characteristic traits to make them appear to come from a single source. You will be amazed at how diverse and eclectic the body of work is and how dissimilar it all looks. Portraits on Platinum, city scapes in the snow on gum over Kalitype, night scenes of moon lit parks on gum over cyanotype with emulsion so thick it looks like Van Gogh was in the house. The guy was a pioneer and considered good for his time, but he did not have a distinctive style. He shot whatever paid the bills or moved him at the moment.

Joel Peter Witkin has a distinctive style as does Les Crims. Their content and interests have changed little over the years and collectors love them (that is if Les is still alive). Marcus Klinko and Indrani have a distinctive style and if they don't change it up pretty soon they may find themselves out of a gig because their work is beginning to look dated and their bread and butter is commercial print which requires new blood every five minutes. Just ask Aaron Jones how capricious a style is in the commercial market place.

While Michael Rosen had a distinctive style, but there are so many pretenders to that throne it's hard to tell a Rosen from a Chris Chlor. How many of you guys have started threads or participated in them to find out Jim Fiscus' technique so you could copy him. There are a few guys on here that have done a real good job of copying him, and if you didn't see their names with the file you couldn't tell the difference between the pretender and the real thing. Is that now a singular style or mass produced rippoff.

There are photographers that I know that won't look at other photographers work because they don't want to be influenced by what they see. They want their particular visions to remain pure and come from their heart and not their heads. When you can generate your images from what your heart tells you to do you may have a chance at a unique style.

No guarantees!

Jun 15 07 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Scott Evans Photography

Houston, Alaska, US

I do not think there is one photographer on here that is without influence.  I think that all styles have some association with the people that influenced the photographer.  I think it is what you do by adding your own touch to "style" that sets you apart.

There are a few leaders behind the camera and thousands of followers, I am included in the latter.  I also believe that to be successful do what the successful people do.  I know a MUA here in Houston who's husband is a photographer.  Before he started saying he was a photog he would follow her to shoot after shoot like a little puppy dog and watching the lighting set up of the photogs.  Now he is an EXACT copy of Greg Daniels and so on.  I do not find this positive at all, mainly because he is in not way trying to add his personal touch to the set up.

I think that it boils down to fear (lack of) and to some degree ignorance towards the process.  I think the really successful photogs are the ones that have the ability to bring out the very best in their models.  For me that is what the real shot is!

Jun 15 07 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

RCPublishing wrote:
I think that my style if fairly distinctive... similarities in subject matter/types of location contribute to that also. Would be interested to know if others feel that way about my work too. Very interesting question...

You asked for this...

You take naked girls out somewhere convenient to your your house and you point your camera at them and press the shutter, completely unaware of what the natural light you are using is doing to them. Naked is not a style, it is a condition. Wooded areas are just locations and your poses are no different than thousands of other I see here all day long. It's pretty obvious you have no personal esthetic, you just like naked girls. So do I, but it ain't a style.

And just to be fair to you, 99.999% of the people here on MM that have stated they think they have a style are in your company. They have no style what so ever.

Jun 15 07 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Settle down... you've been at this a year.

I was just reading some of the posts in the Jessalyn thread (which has turned into another popularity contest yet again) and I stumbled upon a dunce or two that listed Steiglitz and Steichen as having distinctive styles. A few more idiots chimed in and pretty soon they all agreed they know what they're talking about. This is what is making me crazy in here. So much bull spit and so very little knowledge. Go to the photography department at the Art Institute of Chicago and ask the curator to put out a random selection of Steichen's work (they have the largest collection of his work in the world according to the curator). Bring a friend along that has very little knowledge of or interest in photography. Ask her to see if she can tell how many of the images were made by the same guy. She may be able to pick two or three that have enough characteristic traits to make them appear to come from a single source. You will be amazed at how diverse and eclectic the body of work is and how dissimilar it all looks. Portraits on Platinum, city scapes in the snow on gum over Kalitype, night scenes of moon lit parks on gum over cyanotype with emulsion so thick it looks like Van Gogh was in the house. The guy was a pioneer and considered good for his time, but he did not have a distinctive style. He shot whatever paid the bills or moved him at the moment.

Joel Peter Witkin has a distinctive style as does Les Crims. Their content and interests have changed little over the years and collectors love them (that is if Les is still alive). Marcus Klinko and Indrani have a distinctive style and if they don't change it up pretty soon they may find themselves out of a gig because their work is beginning to look dated and their bread and butter is commercial print which requires new blood every five minutes. Just ask Aaron Jones how capricious a style is in the commercial market place.

While Michael Rosen had a distinctive style, but there are so many pretenders to that throne it's hard to tell a Rosen from a Chris Chlor. How many of you guys have started threads or participated in them to find out Jim Fiscus' technique so you could copy him. There are a few guys on here that have done a real good job of copying him, and if you didn't see their names with the file you couldn't tell the difference between the pretender and the real thing. Is that now a singular style or mass produced rippoff.

There are photographers that I know that won't look at other photographers work because they don't want to be influenced by what they see. They want their particular visions to remain pure and come from their heart and not their heads. When you can generate your images from what your heart tells you to do you may have a chance at a unique style.

No guarantees!

wow. poignant.

Jun 15 07 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

A couple or three years back, when I started up with all this, I remember looking at different websites and portfolios of photographers.

I came across. http://www.tenneson.com

She offered a workshop on promoting and developing your signature style. I was intrigued and at the time liked her work and almost signed up for the workshop, but was so new at it that I felt it would have been lost on me. Might be different now, has anyone taken courses specifically on this?

Here's a defining trait for whether you have a signature style. Do you have an Absolut ad?

http://www.absolutad.com/absolut_galler … ollections

Jun 15 07 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

I'm too all-over-the-place to settle into one style.  If I had a specific "look" that I was going for, it would be my choice in models not lighting or post production.

Jun 15 07 01:28 pm Link