Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

For some reason, I feel the need to move to Florida.  Just seems like more of the best models are out there.  Maybe it's a "grass is greener" kind of thing.  The hurricanes and voters turn me off though.... smile

May 16 05 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

well the hurricanes and the republi...i mean voters, are a bit much to take..

but we do have some lovely young women here...and some great places to photograph them....

May 16 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I'll second what Doug said...

May 16 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Oh great.  I was hoping some awesome So. Cal. models would come in here to change my mind!

May 16 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Gary Davis: 
For some reason, I feel the need to move to Florida.  Just seems like more of the best models are out there.

Dude... Go outside and look around you.  You're in California.

May 16 05 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

coolest thing in florida is you can shoot a model against a sunrise over the ocean in the AM, then against a sun setting on the gulf in the PM... all in one day...

May 16 05 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 

Posted by Gary Davis: 
For some reason, I feel the need to move to Florida.  Just seems like more of the best models are out there.

Dude, don't even get me started.

May 16 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
coolest thing in florida is you can shoot a model against a sunrise over the ocean in the AM, then against a sun setting on the gulf in the PM... all in one day...

Definitely a plus.  How long does it take to get from one side to the other?

The mornings here at the beach usually have a nice thick marine layer, which also blesses us with it's presence to ruin a sunset shoot from time to time as well.

May 16 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Gary Davis: 

San Diego transplant here...

May 16 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Definitely a plus.  How long does it take to get from one side to the other?

The mornings here at the beach usually have a nice thick marine layer, which also blesses us with it's presence to ruin a sunset shoot from time to time as well.

well i have done edgewater, just south of daytona beach to tampa in two hours on my cbr..but i wouldn't try that at home..its about 160 miles.

May 16 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego transplant here...

I know, you've mentioned it before.  When was the last time you spent some time "out-and-about" around here?

When are you going to get one of those group shoots together out here?  I want to meet some of these "real models" you're always talking about smile

May 16 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Hummm I guess they always say the grass is always greener someplace else don`t they?.......I`d say Florida has some great models and this is a wonderful place to shoot, (the humidity sucks for vintage hairstyles) and  I`d give it all up to shoot RETRO 24/7 in San Diego or San Francisco if I could afford the cost of living there wink

Seems the California scene is MUCH better for retro and shooting models/actresses who REALLY understand it

As for Hurricane`s they are not so bad....... it`s better than having walls and floors  shake I think, that`s what turns me off of California

PS: Gary u have some very pretty models on your portfolio BTW hell, stay where you are....you make better $$$ out west, trust me

May 17 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

I love California but shooting in Florida is way easier in my opinion. I am not sure if it is the lighting, the warmer weather, the hot girls, etc... but it is just a nice place overall to shoot.

May 17 05 03:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Before I would move to florida i would evaluate where you want your career to go and if your going to have more opportunity there than what you have in california. Besides i couldent imagine dealing with hurricanes.....it scares me just thinking about it

May 17 05 03:49 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

But we know when they are coming...it's earthquakes that scare me.

May 17 05 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

Hmmm... perhaps a sign along the Oregon/California border saying "Wait... have you considered Florida?" would be to my advantage.

lol

May 17 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 
Oh great.  I was hoping some awesome So. Cal. models would come in here to change my mind!

OK, I know some models in your part of California. Florida would be a great place to visit ... but that's after I've finished working my way to Southern Cali, Nevada, Arizona, Texas ... OMG! There are beautiful women everywhere I go! Seriously! Just step out your door .. go to the Shopping Mall, a dance school, beauty salon, the beach ... they are there!

I'm going to consider sending you my niece ... she is a great model who lives in San Diego. I've just been too busy to get down there and shoot with her!

May 17 05 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by KoolGirlieStuff: 
As for Hurricane`s they are not so bad....... it`s better than having walls and floors  shake I think, that`s what turns me off of California

Hurricane: Uh oh, there goes the roof, I can fix that.  Whoops, there goes fluffy, he was a sissy dog anyway.  Streets flooded, where's my canoe?  Gotta go shoot!

Earthquake: so the windows rattle a little bit.  Big whoop smile  I guess there was that big one in L.A. while back but I don't think I even felt it here.  I dunno, you get earthquake insurance in case of a big one but it's a "maybe, maybe not" thing, not something you know is going to come around every year!

PS: Gary u have some very pretty models on your portfolio BTW hell, stay where you are....you make better $$$ out west, trust me

I'm not so sure about the money.  My dad said he knows a photographer who came out here from Florida, couldn't make the kind of money he was making back there and moved back.  There are a lot of models, but there are a lot of photographers as well (even more?) so it balances out in a way.

May 17 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by W. Herb Clark: 

That's what drives me nuts.  You KNOW a disaster is coming yet you still choose to live there!  Why would anyone CHOOSE to live through a disaster? smile

May 17 05 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
Just step out your door .. go to the Shopping Mall, a dance school, beauty salon, the beach ... they are there!

Man, you guys make it sound like I never get outside...  I'm telling you, it's a myth!  You keep pushing that button but if you get me started, it ain't going to be pretty (maybe I need to shake things up around here anyway smile

[yoda]A pretty girl does not necessarily a good model make [/yoda] (yes, more episode three hype!  I've been brainwashed!)

Besides, I don't have the guts to walk up to some stranger and ask if she wants to model.   Whatever, there's a new project that I may be getting involved with that might give me a different perspective.  We'll see how it goes.

Uh oh, my dog is in the backyard arguing with the crows again.

May 17 05 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

What you claim to lack in "guts" you seem to make up for with your images Gary. Let your pictures do the talking. Keep a portfolio in your car and maybe some cards with your info on it. Just smile, give them a card and give a brief explanation what you are about and tell them to check it out. If you walk away and they come to you with questions, show them your work. Not everybody will be interested, but that doesn't make you a creepy perv. Just don't give them a "i'm trying to pick you up" vibe. I think that should work in either state. I'll try it out and let you know, but you are a couple light years ahead of me in images:)

May 18 05 12:07 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

what's so good about florida?  there are good models where ever you go.

May 18 05 03:10 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think florida is beautiful and there some pretty exotic models down there, when I move to Alabama I will be really close to Panama City and I plan on making a trip to Florida at least once a month

May 18 05 03:38 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by Gary Davis: 

A co-worker of mine returning from a workshop in Chicago said, "All the babes I saw at the nightclubs there are too fine. The ugliest babe in each chick crowd is comparable to San Francisco's finest".  ...I was like, "dood, no wonder your wife doesn't hang with you."

May 18 05 04:51 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

i used to live in Palm Beach County, FL, never should have left...sigh...beautiful area.

my vote is for FL.  CA is expensive, but then again, you have such interesting scenery close to CA (AZ, NV, etc) within a reasonable driving distance.

tough call. could you try living in FL for 6 mos and see how you like it?

May 18 05 07:52 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by W. Herb Clark: 

That's what drives me nuts.  You KNOW a disaster is coming yet you still choose to live there!  Why would anyone CHOOSE to live through a disaster? smile

I do not choose to stay in a disaster. I choose to get out of the way when it comes.

The insurance covers the damage, and unlike earthquakes people have the chance to evacuate and move to higher ground.

More people have been killed in earthquakes in the past 20 years in California than have been killed in the past 40 years by hurricanes in Florida.

May 18 05 08:18 am Link

Model

Schemia

Orlando, Florida, US

I am origionally from Denver, CO and I ve been in FLA for over 10 years.  I love it, Hurricanes, idiot politicians and all! I go back to CO occasionally but the FLA will always be my home!

May 18 05 09:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

I have lived in Miami (Coral Gables), Coral Springs, Ft.Lauderdale, Boca Raton, St. Augustine, Destin and Tampa (All Florida locations). I loved Orlando and Altamonte Springs... Lakeland was okay.

I now live in this shit hole called Newport News, Virginia - I'd sell my boyfriend to move back to Destin...

May 18 05 10:42 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Reese,

you have seemed like a reasonable person...but now you've crossed the line.

Lakeland OK? That's like saying malaria is OK. LOL

May 18 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 
More people have been killed in earthquakes in the past 20 years in California than have been killed in the past 40 years by hurricanes in Florida.

Interesting statistic, but how does it compare in relation to the respective populations?

May 18 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Lee Lossing: 
What you claim to lack in "guts" you seem to make up for with your images Gary. Let your pictures do the talking. Keep a portfolio in your car and maybe some cards with your info on it. Just smile, give them a card and give a brief explanation what you are about and tell them to check it out. If you walk away and they come to you with questions, show them your work. Not everybody will be interested, but that doesn't make you a creepy perv. Just don't give them a "i'm trying to pick you up" vibe. I think that should work in either state. I'll try it out and let you know, but you are a couple light years ahead of me in images:)

Thanks for the compliment.  I'm just starting to put together a physical book.  Had a few prints made as tests but gave most of them away to the models.

Looks like I might be getting involved in a project that will give me more of an opportunity to seek out the "local hotties" so we'll see how it goes.

May 18 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

I see it this way if you are having a hard time in Cali with getting work Florida isn't going to be any better. I'm not saying that you are I'm just saying if that's the thinking behind this move. This industry is the biggest in 2 cities NYC and LA. If you already have something going at all in Cali I would stay unless you just don't like it there. Starting all over in another city is a very very hard thing to do and I wouldn't do it unless you have connections with people you can trust out there or a nice bank acount to cover your back. Be smart in your business moves cause you don't want to back step.

May 18 05 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Zoe: 

I grew up in San Diego and I'm pretty well rooted here, so it's tough to just pick up and go on a whim or "trial basis".  If I make a move, it's going to have to be pretty permanent and planned out with a good job, home etc. all set up.  I feel like I need a big change in my life, but I'm also very attached to the stability I have right now.

Wow, this conversation suddenly turned much more serious than I originally intended!

May 18 05 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 

Interesting statistic, but how does it compare in relation to the respective populations?

Gary...I have no idea, but perhaps this will put it in perspective:

In the past 99 years, more than 3,822 people have died in earthquakes or fires caused by earthquakes in California.

•1906 April 18, San Francisco: earthquake accompanied by fire razed more than 4 sq mi; more than 500 dead or missing. Over 3,000 killed in the ensuing three-day fire.

•Nov. 4, 1927 West of Lompoc, California 7.3 Magnitude

•1933 March 10, Long Beach, Calif.: 117 left dead by earthquake.

•July 21, 1952    Kern County, California 7.5 magnitude. This earthquake was the largest in the continental United States since the San Francisco shock of 1906. It claimed 12 lives and caused property damage estimated at $60 million.

•San Fernando February 9 1971 6.7. It lasted about 60 seconds, and, in that brief span of time, took 65 lives, injured more than 2,000, and caused property damage estimated at $505 million.

•1989 Oct. 17, San Francisco Bay area: earthquake measuring 7.1 in magnitude killed 67 and injured over 3,000. Over 100,000 buildings damaged or destroyed. Damage cost city billions of dollars.

•June 28, 1992    Landers, California 7.6 magnitude

•1994 Jan. 17, San Fernando Valley, Calif.: earthquake measuring 6.6 in magnitude killed 61 and injured over 8,000. Damage estimated at $13–20 billion.

•Hector Mine October 16 1999 7.2

If you want to see the California Earthquake History, go here:
http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/info/cahist_eqs.html

In 1928 2,000 people died in a huricane. The satelite technology is much better today. Since 1965, I can find no record of large nubers of casualities in Florida due to hurricanes.

EDIT: 15 deaths have been blamed on Hurricane Charley, 36 on Andrew

May 18 05 03:53 pm Link

Model

kristi

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Zoe: 
i used to live in Palm Beach County, FL, never should have left...sigh...beautiful area.

my vote is for FL.  CA is expensive, but then again, you have such interesting scenery close to CA (AZ, NV, etc) within a reasonable driving distance.

where in pb county did u live??
i have lived in south fla all my life...i wouldnt leave for anything..well almost anything! it is beautiful down here, awesome beaches,  beautiful real estate expensive as shit though!
its not the actual hurricane that is too bad its after the storm when you have no power, water, food, ice...... for up to 3 wks!!! but living here 20 yrs ive gotten used to it!
i have been to LA once....i absolutley loved it! but i think there is more money to be made on the westcoast.

May 18 05 05:09 pm Link