Forums > General Industry > Photoshoot Soundtrack?

Model

Kearstin

Carpentersville, Illinois, US

I think that playing music at shoots completely reflects what mood will
come up in the photos.
If you play dark music, your expressions would show dark.
Etc etc.

Is it a bad thing to insist playing music to "set the mood"?

Q

May 17 05 12:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Not at all a bad thing.  In fact, I think most prefer music.  Some models can't move well without it.  Sometimes you simply lose energy or enthusiasm without it.

"I'm too Sexy" is always a winner.  For laughs.

Actually, yeah, it helps... sometimes, the model isn't loosening up fast enough, and I tell them I'm going to do my crazy white chick dancing, and that can only happen to music.  That helps kick in the mood, especially when they see I'm not kidding about the "crazy white chick" part.

I did work a shoot recently where the model wanted some ethnic shots at the end, so we put on a CD from her native India.

May 17 05 01:35 am Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

I love music while Im shooting, Although, its always good to make sure that the music that is playing is something that both the photographer and model are 'feelin'  cause if not, the mood for shooting can go out the window, and the wrong music can really screw a shoot up. -shrugs- Most of my photographers tell me what kind of music they dont like and let me pick what I listen to or I can tell them what I dont listen to or do.. whichever, and they make a cd or a list of songs from there..

May 17 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

I always play music, even outdoors when possible. Have all kinds of CD's for different moods and taste's. I also tell the model to bring her own if she has something she likes to listen to. I've seen shoots without music, too damn quiet and the model tends to get too uptight if the photog is not saying anything either.

May 17 05 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I always have some kind of music going during the shoot, even if it's just a radio.  If possible, I always give the models freedom to play what they wish -- even if they put on something i totally hate [rare], i've got such tunnel vision when i start working that i can't hear it anyway.

May 17 05 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Ouch My Eye

Seattle, Washington, US

Music helps me shoot...otherwise I think too much.
Mogwai.
Isis.
For total artyness...

Something more upbeat to help the stiffer modeling ilk.
Ozomatli...

And Ru Paul, or the king of pop......always a hit.

May 17 05 02:10 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

I make "Club" mixes of music that range anywhere from an hour to 2 hours long. Funny thing is that no matter which tracks Im playing I'm too sexy is right in the middle. And through out the track you hear pieces from it coming up.

And it ALWAYS causes confused looks at first followed by sillyness. And THAT is often when I get my best shots.

May 17 05 03:06 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

I let them bring anything but rap or country. If they bring nothing they get my eclectic mix of jazz and classic rock and billie holiday for the sad lookin pix

May 17 05 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I tend to play the following depending on the girl and what im looking for.

Prince- Sexy Stuff, loss of inhibitions, works wonders on shy girls

Devil-Doll/Jazz/Stray Cats/Swing/cry baby soundtrack - Anything pinup/rockabilly/vintagey/punk

The cure/Sisters of mercy - Ususally sexy, dark,brooding

Tom waits/Chris Issak/Natural Born Killers/Lost highway Snd tracks (only selected tracks) - everything else.

Oh and pretty hate machine by NIN.

May 28 05 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Anything Morricone, Piccione, Alassondroni (The non-western stuff)
Jermey Dower, Martin Denny, Daniele Luppi, The Tijuana Brass, EAZZZY and SEXY and Cinematic

May 28 05 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

i think it's a good thing...i'll usually have my ipod or lap top on random, depending on where we're at...music seems to relax the girls...

some of the favorites have been amon tobin, lords of acid, dandy warhols and air-at least those seem to peak the most curiosity... oh,  and anything disco...

May 28 05 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

We rock the IPOD here, and when I can, I ask my subjects what type of tunage they're into.

May 28 05 04:33 am Link