Forums > Photography Talk > Best Photo Editing Software...

Photographer

Charlatan Photography

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I have Photoshop.. But Im looking for something better. Help?! What do you use?

Jun 24 07 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

There is nothing better.... Photoshop  CS3 is great

Jun 24 07 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

Adobe Photoshop is the World Standard in Professional Photographic-Editing.  It is the current market leader for commercial bitmap and image manipulation, and is the flagship product of Adobe Systems.  Although originally designed to edit images for paper-based printing, Photoshop can also be used for a wide range of other professional and amateur purposes.

As aforementioned, "there is nothing better".

Jun 24 07 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Charlatan Photography

Thanks a lot! I need CS3 then! I have an older one when there was still the .0 versions! ;/

Jun 24 07 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

So what is it you are missing in your current version ?

Jun 24 07 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Charlatan Photography

Not sure, i have 4.0. Im wanting that all over no flaw glowing look that i see in many images!

This one for example by Eyeworks photography...

https://img7.modelmayhem.com/070505/15/463cd75e77582_m.jpg

Also, eye color changing or making them appear brighter. The only way i can get that is to select the eye part and change hues... hmm

Jun 24 07 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tim OBrien

Boger City, North Carolina, US

I use a couple plugins to get that look, I think there is a skin smoother, there is also a set of plugins from DFT called 55mm that has some glow and skin smoothing. I have also used noise ninja, if you treat the pores like noise it will remove them.

Jun 24 07 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

There are several really good photo editing programs out there, all with their good points and bad points.  Photoshop is the WORLD standard in photo editing software.  With the second party plug ins, there's really little you can't do with it.  You just need to learn to use it better.  I realize it's expensive, and I have little experience with the other programs, but I haven't read anything saying the others are as good as Photoshop.

Jun 24 07 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

Charlatan Photography wrote:
Not sure, i have 4.0. Im wanting that all over no flaw glowing look that i see in many images!

This one for example by Eyeworks photography...

https://img7.modelmayhem.com/070505/15/463cd75e77582_m.jpg

Also, eye color changing or making them appear brighter. The only way i can get that is to select the eye part and change hues... hmm

That's an awfully neat effect.  I like.

Jun 24 07 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Julian Marsalis

Austin, Texas, US

Pretty much PS by it self can do most any effect just plugins make it easier in many cases buying plugins is a waste of money just learn the tool better and rock and roll. I stopped upgrading ps after 7 I may pick up CS3 tho just for the raw and some new stuff that just takes longer the old way....

Jun 24 07 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

For serious retouch, when Photoshop is lacking, MS Paint is the only way:

https://www.pbase.com/wgrowland/image/77054561.jpg

Jun 24 07 01:24 pm Link

Model

Traciee

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

i agree photoshop is the best smile  and it's not really what version you have -depending on how far you want to take things- it the layers that you use to make the final product!  Tons of tutorials to help you with all that...don't try spending a lot of money on classes they pretty much teach you the same things.  Look it up on deviantart.com  you can download brushes, actions, filters...you name it they've got it.  Just takes practice to get the look you're going for.  Goodluck!

Jun 24 07 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Charlatan Photography

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Haha! Thanks! That helped a lot wink

Jun 24 07 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Horn

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Are you sure you have Photoshop version 4, or do you possibly have photoshop ELEMENTS version 4???

PS v4 was released 10 years ago... I cant imagine it even working properly on a modern computer.

Jun 24 07 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Haunting Imagery Studio

Edmonton, Kentucky, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

I love your lighting of the background in this,,,soooo even

Jun 24 07 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Charlatan Photography

Negative Altitude wrote:
Are you sure you have Photoshop version 4, or do you possibly have photoshop ELEMENTS version 4???

PS v4 was released 10 years ago... I cant imagine it even working properly on a modern computer.

Nope I really have 4.0, no joke! hmm It was my dads.. I just found the cd and started playing around with it. The year on it says 1993! ha!

Jun 24 07 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

i heart polaroid

New York, New York, US

Charlatan Photography wrote:

Nope I really have 4.0, no joke! hmm It was my dads.. I just found the cd and started playing around with it. The year on it says 1993! ha!

Well, any more recent version will be great...

What kind of editing do you want to do with it?

Jun 24 07 09:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Jennifer Frances

New York, New York, US

i work professionally as a photo retoucher and photoshop is the only way to go. the program is genius.

and if youre into video editing & 3d rendering check out cs3 extended. its awesome.

if you ever need any ps tips, let me know. i am always happy to teach.

Jun 24 07 10:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Jennifer Frances

New York, New York, US

Traciee wrote:
i agree photoshop is the best smile  and it's not really what version you have -depending on how far you want to take things- it the layers that you use to make the final product!  Tons of tutorials to help you with all that...don't try spending a lot of money on classes they pretty much teach you the same things.  Look it up on deviantart.com  you can download brushes, actions, filters...you name it they've got it.  Just takes practice to get the look you're going for.  Goodluck!

are you a member of deviantart? id love to see more of your work.
i am almostlighthearted on there.

Jun 24 07 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

So I just bought MS paint.  WG sold it to me for $399.  He said he it's usually $799 but he gets a bulk discount

Can anyone help me find the layers tab WG won't reply to my PM's since the Paypal went through?

I just love how perfect the high key example he posted was.  My shots always have hot spots.

If you have CS3 go get the update from Adobe

Jun 24 07 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Horn

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Frank Mattoni wrote:
So I just bought MS paint.  WG sold it to me for $399.  He said he it's usually $799 but he gets a bulk discount

Can anyone help me find the layers tab WG won't reply to my PM's since the Paypal went through?

I just love how perfect the high key example he posted was.  My shots always have hot spots.

If you have CS3 go get the update from Adobe

OK, now my side hurts! smile

Jun 24 07 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

I’ll do almost anything to make a negative attitude laugh.

Jun 25 07 07:24 pm Link

Model

John Y

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, US

not sure if your version will do this, but if you have mask mode, its easier to create the selection...but for that effect..select only the skin, and create a gaussian blur of about anywhere to 6-11 (of course, on a duplicate layer).  Then, lower the opacity of the layer until the flaws go away, but it still looks "real"..this would be to your taste. But, thats a simple way for that effect.

Jun 25 07 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Horn

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Frank Mattoni wrote:
I’ll do almost anything to make a negative attitude laugh.

I always feel better when I meet another BLIND photographer...

it is negative ALTitude...    jeeez

Jun 25 07 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Photoshop= awesome!

Paint Shop Pro Photo XI=Really good.

Jun 25 07 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

John Lei

San Francisco, California, US

Someone tell me when something better than Photoshop comes out... would love to see someone compete with Adobe so that they lower their prices (especially for UPGRADES!).  smile

Doubt it'll be anytime soon...

Jun 25 07 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I LOVE Lightzone. It's the only editing software to make a clean break from the essentially "MacPaint on Steroids" model pioneered by Photoshop and take actual inspiration from pre-digital photograpic tools. It works, it's easy, it's powerful and it's FUN.

Jun 25 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

Sorry, I think I was projecting.  I hope you're a spelunker or scuba diver, not a pilot.

I know the photographer part.

Good Luck,
Frank

Jun 25 07 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Horn

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Frank Mattoni wrote:
Sorry, I think I was projecting.  I hope you're a spelunker or scuba diver, not a pilot.

I know the photographer part.

Good Luck,
Frank

ROFL...   you may be blind like me, but at least you figured out the scuba apart!  Most don't...

Jun 25 07 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

ZachThompsonPhotography

Albany, New York, US

What do u guys Think of Aperture... I didnt see anyone say anything about it...

Aug 13 07 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Alma Mishale Miraval

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

MS Paint....

Just kidding.

Photoshop CS2, hello?

Aug 13 07 04:02 pm Link