Forums > Photography Talk > Beauty Dish

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

JAY carreon wrote:

This is what I mean when I write about "getting it right in-camera"!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

But Jay, that is, or I should say results in, a particular look - and one which doesn't translate as well when shooting say color chromes.  Can it still be done?  Sure.  Can you or I do it?  Yeah, anyone with a light meter and a little knowledge can (this stuff isn't rocket science).  Will it result in the look that most clients today might want when commissioning work in either genre (glamour or beauty)?  Not likely.  Hurrell did this to a point, but there was also a LOT of retouching that went into it as well.  He didn't do that because he was incompetent as a photographer, he did it because that was what was necessary to achieve the look he, and more importantly his clients, wanted in the final image...

Jul 05 07 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Jul 05 07 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

https://img8.modelmayhem.com/070623/20/467db4357436f_m.jpg

Maybe not a great example, but done with the dish.

Jul 05 07 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Johnson Photograph

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Beauty Dish with some minor modification,

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/500782130_1886f002fb.jpg

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1420/578035131_ecbcd984dd.jpg

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1096/725195459_cc850dd37b.jpg

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1188/715667120_a97049f446.jpg

Jul 05 07 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Harrison

Mountain View, California, US

I tend to use a beauty dish with a diffusor cover as the keylight in most of my shots.  I guess with the cover, though, it's probably about the same as using a small-to-medium sized softbox.

Jul 06 07 12:16 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

All of my self portrait nudes in my modeling port now, I shot with a beauty dish.  In my photography port (188959), pretty much all of my studio images were shot using an Alien Bees beauty dish with AB B800 strobe.  I LOVE the beauty dish and rarely use my softbox, reflector with grids, barn doors or umbrellas since I purchased it.
smile Caroline
-225 lbs

Jul 06 07 12:27 am Link

Photographer

D N G

New York, New York, US

sooo what size beauty dish should i be getting?
i specifically am looking at the mola dishes, and aim to use it for either 3/4 shots, or 1/2 body shots, to get that nice contrasty look. Is the 22" enough, or should I get a bigger one ? thanks

Jul 06 07 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Harrison

Mountain View, California, US

I'm using the Alien Bees beauty dish, but am still getting the hang of it.  A lot of photogs on this site seem to like it, though, and I can certainly vouch for the quality of their other equipment if you're looking to buy into a system for light-to-medium use.

Anyone using the Alien Bees beauty dish who can recommend a good lamp-to-subject distance?

Jul 07 07 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

New Life Photography

Neosho, Missouri, US

Fred Prose wrote:
22" Alien Bee Beauty dish with a bounce card camera left.  Always my choice for head shots.

https://img7.modelmayhem.com/070429/12/4634c171e2ca0.jpg

Ab400 or AB800 Strobe?

-Kevin
NL PHOTO

Feb 01 08 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Shih

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

With beauty dish + strip below + gelled background light bounced off the wall
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080131/19/47a262a679172_m.jpg

Beauty dish + the sun
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080104/04/477e0162ad6e9_m.jpg

Feb 01 08 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Casey Curry Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Everything in my port is shot with either beauty dish, ringflash, or umbrellas.

Feb 01 08 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

Beauty dish + large octobox as fill, dialed wayyyy down

https://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080125/20/479a871b61422_m.jpg

ditto here..you can see the dueling catchlights..(hmmm..gotta fix that)

https://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080125/20/479a87ce49691_m.jpg

Feb 01 08 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

New Life Photography

Neosho, Missouri, US

I have a quick question for you all. I'm needing a new strobe very soon and will be purchasing either the Alienbees AB400 or AB800, and the 22" beauty dish. Would you suggest getting the higher watt strobe for use with the beauty dish? I'll be mostly shooting in a small studio with the dimensions of 15'x15'.

-Kevin
NL PHOTO

Feb 01 08 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Vanishing Point Ent

If you're interested in the " exception  " to the rule, look at a Mola, marketed by Dynalite.  They will fit anyone's light, but work best, when the strobe sticks out, into the dish.  The Mola, is like using an asymetric beauty dish.  It does the same thing to the light, as it odes for a camera lens.  The 22 & 28 in. are the on's to consider.  The 22 in, even will take a Norman Grid, on it, to really focus the light.
The 28 in. is a deep-dish.  It is a lot more expensive.  It says, that the light is adjustable.  This is not true, exactly.  If you are using an adjustable head,
( Speedotron, or Pro-foto ), then it will be of much greater use, because you can then, focus the head, inside the deep-dish, to vary the light.  The deep-dish, is not an advantage otherwise.
Go to www.mola.com, or www.dynalite.com for more info & sample photos.

Feb 01 08 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

New Life Photography wrote:
I have a quick question for you all. I'm needing a new strobe very soon and will be purchasing either the Alienbees AB400 or AB800, and the 22" beauty dish. Would you suggest getting the higher watt strobe for use with the beauty dish? I'll be mostly shooting in a small studio with the dimensions of 15'x15'.

-Kevin
NL PHOTO

For another 50 bucks I'd get the 800. The 400 would likely be fine in your situation, but you'll rarely wish you had purchased a strobe with less power.

I say rarely, as I have all 3 and when shooting in smaller studios I'd trade my 800 for another 400 at times. Dialing it all the way down, at times.

But then I realize there's more use for my 800 and all that...blah blah.

Feb 01 08 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

New Life Photography

Neosho, Missouri, US

Thank you very much for the input. I'll definitely go for the AB800.

-Kevin
NL PHOTO

Feb 01 08 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Holix

StephenEastwood wrote:
That out of date comment is just amusing, they are as out of date as using light to light an image. 

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

that said I use 22inch with grids, all type silver, white, molas, hensel with center grid, soft diffused center and with no direct center light.  I typically use them as close to the subject as camera position allows, unless they are replacing the sun outside then they are about 8 feet away.

Hey Stephen,

I'm just about to purchase a Hensel  22" with a honeycomb snap on grid.
Do you know about it and is it to your liking??

Cheers

Sean

Feb 01 08 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

My avatar image was shot with a 22" alien bee beauty dish with the sock on.

Feb 01 08 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

JD Harley

Queen Creek, Arizona, US

So how far is everyone setting the dish up from the model  or should i say how many feet away is the dish from the model?

Feb 01 08 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

slave to the lens wrote:
You'll rarely wish you had purchased a strobe with less power.

I say rarely, as I have all 3 and when shooting in smaller studios I'd trade my 800 for another 400 at times. Dialing it all the way down, at times.

Get some ND filters  as well.

To get the full benefit of a beauty dish (for beauty work) it needs to be very close to the subject - ie. between 1 and 3 feet - and as you don't want to be stopping the lens down much past f/11 (to avoid diffraction problems) you may well find that an 800w/s strobe is too powerful without using an ND filter.

Feb 01 08 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelDean

Austin, Texas, US

I just got a beauty dish.  I'm still trying to get good at using it.  I am starting to see how I can use it to good effect, though.  Lots of photographers I know who are quite a bit better than me regularly use a beauty dish, so I certainly wouldn't consider it obsolete or anything like that.

Feb 01 08 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

JD Harley

Queen Creek, Arizona, US

Frame In A Million wrote:

Get some ND filters  as well.

To get the full benefit of a beauty dish (for beauty work) it needs to be very close to the subject - ie. between 1 and 3 feet - and as you don't want to be stopping the lens down much past f/11 (to avoid diffraction problems) you may well find that an 800w/s strobe is too powerful without using an ND filter.

Ok when you say f/11 your talking about the apature or the shutter speed? I know everyone has all different was of talking about the same thing just trying to verify?

Feb 01 08 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelDean

Austin, Texas, US

PrimalGraphix wrote:

Ok when you say f/11 your talking about the apature or the shutter speed? I know everyone has all different was of talking about the same thing just trying to verify?

f/11 is an aperture value...

Feb 01 08 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

JD Harley

Queen Creek, Arizona, US

MichaelDean wrote:

f/11 is an aperture value...

Ok thats what i thought but lets say your doing a nude beach shoot with a model do you really ant to be at f/11 seems a little off to me? unless your using lens like maybe 70-200 or something like that.

Feb 01 08 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

PrimalGraphix wrote:
Ok thats what i thought but lets say your doing a nude beach shoot with a model do you really ant to be at f/11 seems a little off to me? unless your using lens like maybe 70-200 or something like that.

I didn't say you have to be at f/11 - I said you don't want to stop down past f/11 or you will start hitting the diffraction limit of your lens.

However, if you were doing a nude beach shoot then I'd expect the beauty dish to be considerably further than 1-3 feet from the model, so you wouldn't be needing to stop down so far to reduce the light anyway.

Feb 01 08 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

JD Harley

Queen Creek, Arizona, US

Frame In A Million wrote:

I didn't say you have to be at f/11 - I said you don't want to stop down past f/11 or you will start hitting the diffraction limit of your lens.

However, if you were doing a nude beach shoot then I'd expect the beauty dish to be considerably further than 1-3 feet from the model, so you wouldn't be needing to stop down so far to reduce the light anyway.

OK sorry if i missed read wht you wrote my BAD!

Feb 01 08 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Not Who We Are

Sisters, Oregon, US

I use a Mola Euro (33") Beauty Dish...

Sunning light modifier... I use it all the time.... certainly NOT outdated.

Feb 01 08 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

PrimalGraphix wrote:
OK sorry if i missed read wht you wrote my BAD!

Hey, no sweat - sorry if I seemed a little short. That wasn't my intention smile

Feb 01 08 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

TheeBlueRoom

Melbourne, Florida, US

22" Hensel Beauty Dish with 20 degree grid & a gel 7" for the green flood
https://photo.sluder.net/d/11552-1/_MG_4627.jpg

Feb 01 08 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

i think a "beauty dish" is when you have a focal light inside a soft light. "beauty dish" is just somebodies trademark. it's a great light to create drama. a bit theatrical.

Feb 02 08 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Brent Ward Photo

Denver, Colorado, US

I've got a 22" mola and the 33" mola. The 33" is usually on my main light boom.

Feb 02 08 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Efren Beltran

lambis wrote:
Profoto Beauty dish  with Grid
https://img6.modelmayhem.com/070213/16/45d234560c9af.jpg

was this shot taken with the silver or white beauty dish

Jun 25 08 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Gasparri

Marietta, Georgia, US

Beaupix Boston wrote:
Beauty dish does give contrasty light but makes beautiful butterfly shadow under the nose when used correctly. A large (40+ inch) silver umbrella can be used to mimic the quality of light from a bit farther away and this can be used for fashion type photo, especially if combined with a reflector panel from below.

A silver umbrella is more versatile because by varying the light source position you can change the way the light "focuses" on the subject. You can also open the umbrella only partially, which also change the quality of light.

I'm also a fan of bare bulb........ Beauty dishes rock as well.

Softbox is definitely much softer light, but unless you want to make boring artless light, I don't find softbox to be a good main light... (it is a good fill light)

Speaking of history of lighting setup, I'm still using barebulb in a significant part of my work and I definitely love the effects it provides. It requires a bit of skill to use it effectively, but at the same time I can significantly simplify my lighting setup. My whole studio setup (EOS 5D, a few L zooms, a few primes, a 500Ws power pack and 2 or 3 heads) comfortably fit in a single pelican case, but I would need a separate case for other types of heads.

I have unplesant experiences with sock-type diffusers. They alter color balance and it is only going to make beauty dish more softbox-like. Soft light makes model look flattering at first, but we get bored seeing those pictures very fast.

Jun 25 08 12:25 am Link

Photographer

oscar rabeiro

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

am i late to the party? this was shot with a beauty dish...sppedo 22 with sock on. gridded hair light...

https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090302/07/49abf627d0c4b_m.jpg

Mar 24 09 11:49 am Link