Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Inteview with Udor

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Tom Linkens wrote:

No I was just wondering if you worked with her. I didn't either, believe it or not.

Oh, okay... misunderstood...

Jul 04 07 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Un-phantomzoning my last answer to Tom.

Jul 07 07 02:31 pm Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

when did you move to the US and how did you feel it was different from germany?  Has anything changed in the US since you moved there and do you think that that change has happened in Germany as well?

edit: happy 2000 post to me smile *dances to wumpscut*

Jul 07 07 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Colin Rowe wrote:
when did you move to the US and how did you feel it was different from germany?  Has anything changed in the US since you moved there and do you think that that change has happened in Germany as well?

I came to the US in 1992 where I met my first ex-wife, who is still family to me.

I have intially been commuting between NY and Germany for about 1.5 years, every two to three weeks.

I lived a long time in Frankfurt, which is also called the most American city in Germany... since it's on the river Main, they call it sometimes "Mainhattan"... LOL

There are soo many differences in either direction... meaning positive and negative.

I should point out that I love NYC... when I arrived here from the plane, got off in front of Madison Square Garden to go to the Pennsylvania Hotel... I stepped out of the cab, the street... and I have felt this energy and creativity... without having anything else experienced from NYC... I actually said: "I am home."

I have extensively travelled since childhood with my parents and as a teen and adult later, but I never had this kind of experience and connection to any city.

What I love about America/NYC is a certain way of looking at life and it's openess to change... here, you are able to have a complete change of career when you are 50 and become successful.

In Germany... it's much more rigid... people are, or used to be afraid of change and easily settled into their ways, preparing for "Ruhestand" (retirement) once they hit 30.

Overall... the thinking in Germany followed a set path, including your careers... education and educational levels dictating your stance in society and how much money you can make much more than you will find here in the US... and that's what I like here.

I do like the attitude of sexuality and the body/nudity being seen as normal in Germany... American values concerning this are sooo medieval in mainstream in most parts of the country... this is something I do have problems with.

This hasn't gotten any better in this country, and I think that reactionary thinking and religious zelousy won't permit a change in society for a very long time.

I can't say how much Germany changed since then... Eastern Germany is definitely a problem with it's economic inheritance from the communist regime, that high level of unemployment is a breeding ground for Neo Nazis.

But I do know that Germans follow America in the decline of health and a huge increase of waist lines...

My buddy, who frequently goes back to Germany told me about how he sees Germans to fatten up... just like the Americans... so, that was VERY surprising for me, because when I grew up there and before I came to the US... obesity was never an issue in Germany and rare... most people, even when not fit, were rather slender...

I lost my train of thought... if my answer missed your question, please feel free to be more specific and I will try to answer that.

Jul 07 07 02:57 pm Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Interesting, no that was what I was looking for, a comparison of two countries.  It's always easy to forget that other people, cultures are different.

Jul 07 07 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Udo. Have you travelled in the US much away from NYC?  I know you love NYC, but NYC is completely different than any other city in the US.  And it it absolutely unlike rural America.  What other parts of the US have you seen?

Jul 07 07 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Udo. Have you travelled in the US much away from NYC?  I know you love NYC, but NYC is completely different than any other city in the US.  And it it absolutely unlike rural America.  What other parts of the US have you seen?

I know, I always say:

"NYC is IN America... NYC IS NOT America."

If we agree that with NYC are meant the 5 boros, than I can start to expand:

Connecticut, NY State (between NYC and the Adirondacks and Long Island), New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Washington D.C., Virginia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Illinois, California, and Arizona as well as the US commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

I think I didn't forget anything.

(Actually, I had to edit "Louisiana", because I forgot that I was in Baton Rouge and surroundings for a two weeks business seminar once)

Jul 07 07 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

If there are no further questions, I'd like to thank you for having me. (As I usually say in tv interviews... LOL)

Jul 15 07 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

Silver Springs Shores, Florida, US

Udor, have you reached a level of success you are comfortable with concerning the industry and the part you play? Or are there still goals your reaching for. Also, What would you say was the biggest mistake you've made and what did you do to correct it?

Jul 15 07 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

TeddyRay wrote:
Udor, have you reached a level of success you are comfortable with concerning the industry and the part you play? Or are there still goals your reaching for. Also, What would you say was the biggest mistake you've made and what did you do to correct it?

Absolutely not! I am just at the beginning of what can become of me in the future.

I feel that I am very far from what I could ultimately achieve.

I am looking at the big picture, which is maybe a time line of 20 years and beyond for the future, but I often break it down to smaller steps... like what I have to do next.

My sabbatical will certainly help me to make clearer definitions and planning good strategies for my immediate future... maybe in five years increments.

Bear also in mind that I am doing a lot of commercial stuff, but my real passion is photojournalism and art, where the latter is suffering a big deal because I am focusing a lot on paid work.

I want to get to a level that I'll get paid the big bucks for a few jobs per months, so that I can also focus on my art projects that give me a lot of fulfillment.

I have made a lot of mistakes in my personal and professional life, there is no question. Most mistakes can not be undone... however, I do learn from my mistakes and let them become part of my personality and vision and not only trying to avoiding them the next time around, but using the knowledge for better strategies and judgment later on.

In regards of photography, I think my biggest mistake was NOT to follow my passion since childhood and getting a formal photography education and working in that field.

I tried, but the job description about the photographer as a craftsman who does toddler work at K-Mart for a living was way too bleak for me.

I wish I had started to work full time as a photographer when I came to the US in 1992... that would have been incredible in retrospect... then again... everything happens for a reason and it serves me.

Jul 18 07 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

little meeka

Dallas, Georgia, US

Udor wrote:
If there are no further questions, I'd like to thank you for having me. (As I usually say in tv interviews... LOL)

...and after sex tongue

Jul 18 07 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

little meeka wrote:

...and after sex tongue

LMAO big_smile

Jul 18 07 07:40 pm Link