Forums > Critique > Blurry Bar

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

https://gallery.photo.net/photo/6195467-md.jpg

It was pretty dark. I was pretty inebriated. I missed my focus. The film was processed poorly and enhanced the grain considerably. etc.. But this is the first image I scanned from the first roll of film through my Leica.

Jul 14 07 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

-Prestige Productions-

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

i actually really like this shot

Jul 14 07 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

N-Drew Productions wrote:
i actually really like this shot

Thanks! I was beginning to think I'd have to critique it myself.

Jul 14 07 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I do to.. I could see this in an ad somewhere..

Jul 14 07 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Thanks W!

Jul 14 07 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

The Big Butt thread is up to 37 pages and I have to beg W.G. for a critique.

Jul 14 07 04:50 pm Link

Model

RosieA

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Seconded.

Jul 14 07 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Rose-Marie wrote:

Seconded.

Grazie.

Jul 16 07 08:19 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Cue the crickets.

Jul 16 07 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MMDesign wrote:
It was pretty dark. I was pretty inebriated. I missed my focus. The film was processed poorly and enhanced the grain considerably. etc.. But this is the first image I scanned from the first roll of film through my Leica.

I think the grain gives it a nice character, but if you hate it so much and you think it turned out so poorly, why are you showing it?

Jul 16 07 11:58 am Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

it would look cool even a bit grainier, but i like it too, It has a sense of time and place... for me critical to a good location shot... nice work for being wasted on the job...LOL

have a shoot this afternoon, let's see what happens

Jul 16 07 11:58 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Low Tek Photography wrote:

I think the grain gives it a nice character, but if you hate it so much and you think it turned out so poorly, why are you showing it?

Because this is the first image I scanned from the first roll of film through my Leica. And, I didn't say I hated it. I implied that it could have been better.

Jul 16 07 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

ijk Productions

Cave Springs, Arkansas, US

I like the light and tones but there's really no center of interest.

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

bubbaclicks wrote:
it would look cool even a bit grainier, but i like it too, It has a sense of time and place... for me critical to a good location shot... nice work for being wasted on the job...LOL

have a shoot this afternoon, let's see what happens

Thanks. It is a pretty cool location... from what I can remember. smile

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Images by Jeff Kennedy wrote:
I like the light and tones but there's really no center of interest.

Is that really a bad thing though?

Jul 16 07 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

ijk Productions

MMDesign wrote:

Is that really a bad thing though?

If you want the viewer to be engaged it is.  The problem is your focus is so shallow that it forces the eye to go where?  Nowhere.  The sharp stuff tells us no story.   If it is a picture of the bar in general then you need to allow our eyes to move around and explore the various vignettes occuring.  Like I said the tones and light are good.  The composition and timing don't seem well thought out (could be the alcohol you consumed ;-) ).  Perhaps you'll have another frame on that roll with a story.

Jul 16 07 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MMDesign wrote:
Because this is the first image I scanned from the first roll of film through my Leica. And, I didn't say I hated it. I implied that it could have been better.

Oh okay then. That's a great first image. =]

Usually the first shot I take with a new camera is my messy desk. Grats on the Leica

Jul 16 07 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

If you want the viewer to be engaged it is.  The problem is your focus is so shallow that it forces the eye to go where?  Nowhere.  The sharp stuff tells us no story.   If it is a picture of the bar in general then you need to allow our eyes to move around and explore the various vignettes occuring.  Like I said the tones and light are good.  The composition and timing don't seem well thought out (could be the alcohol you consumed ;-) ).  Perhaps you'll have another frame on that roll with a story.

Good points all. I was approaching it from a photojournalistic slant. I think I was channeling Bresson after he'd spent a few hours hanging with Brassai. The girl, being centered should lead one down the line of characters. Maybe she doesn't though and maybe this is just one of those cases where someone (me), can't see the forest for the trees.

Thanks for the input.

Jul 16 07 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Low Tek Photography wrote:

Oh okay then. That's a great first image. =]

Usually the first shot I take with a new camera is my messy desk. Grats on the Leica

Thanks!

Jul 16 07 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

ijk Productions

MMDesign wrote:

Good points all. I was approaching it from a photojournalistic slant. I think I was channeling Bresson after he'd spent a few hours hanging with Brassai. The girl, being centered should lead one down the line of characters. Maybe she doesn't though and maybe this is just one of those cases where someone (me), can't see the forest for the trees.

Thanks for the input.

It has that potential.  I think you're making the same mistake we all do as photographers.  That's seeing what you wanted the photograph to be and not what it actually is.  Compositionally you're on the right track for what you describe.  The problem is that as we follow the bar around the focus trails off and it forces our eyes back to the empty bar that is in focus.

Jul 16 07 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

It has that potential.  I think you're making the same mistake we all do as photographers.  That's seeing what you wanted the photograph to be and not what it actually is.  Compositionally you're on the right track for what you describe.  The problem is that as we follow the bar around the focus trails off and it forces our eyes back to the empty bar that is in focus.

Ah! That's where the viewer is supposed to see him or herself! Yeah, that's it! That's what I was thinking... no, seriously.  smile

Jul 16 07 12:25 pm Link