Forums > Photography Talk > options for portable battery powered strobes

Photographer

fStopstudios

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
price to power quality ratio says hensel porty premium.  Best bang for the buck, profoto is very over priced and if you need ultimate in flash duration look at the elinchrom ranger but the fast duration heads cost more than standard heads.  Best pack out now a broncolor verso the mobilite is outdated and likely discontinued or will be. 

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

steven, my calculator comes up with different #s and says Elinchrom.... mind explaining how you cmae up with that?

Jul 18 07 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

capturecharacter wrote:
I've been renting the Porty. You can't plug it into AC. Battery packs only.

the porty batteries on the premium can charge in or out of the pack and if full they will run a pack plugged in at full blast at slow as if it was AC unit, with no battery drain, which is why they do not make a $1000.00 AC adapter like they use to for the standard porty,  the battery will drain if fast shooting on fast at full power even while plugged in.

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 18 07 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Max Bloom

San Francisco, California, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
Best pack out now a broncolor verso the mobilite is outdated and likely discontinued or will be. 

Stephen Eastwood

Indeed, but broncolor's flash tubes are largely backwards-compatible.

Jul 18 07 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

mary duprie

Pontiac, Michigan, US

AndrewThomasDesigns wrote:

LOL at the willing to spend thousands...

this isn't a problem to throw money at, and you're stupid if you're starting to think this way.

way to make friends.....

if you read his profile you will see all the signs that he can readily afford it.....

i think it is the smart thing to do....i did the same when i started out....i bought pro foto right from the get go....i said i'm going to be a photographer no use buying the stuff twice...

so get a clue

i agree the porty is a great way to go, it's what i would buy...wish i would of started with hensel instead of pro foto

good luck

Jul 18 07 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

fStopstudios wrote:

steven, my calculator comes up with different #s and says Elinchrom.... mind explaining how you cmae up with that?

the standard ranger kit has the slow head and he batteries run to about 140 full power at 1100ws  the hensel is 1200ws at 250 each and charger acts as a AC unit if full or slow charge while powering the heads with ac, the faster head elinchrom has onely one battery at $100.00 less than the hennsel, either way for the same bang you pay more.

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 18 07 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

re charging and elinchrom (from the horses mouth so-to-speak:)....

"Marco

Charging:

The battery can be charged whilst the unit is in use. You may draw the battery down when you shoot in short intervals due to low charging current, but using the
Ranger RX normally, the battery charge will last all day or even longer. We did not face problems since the battery does not have a memory effect.

Your notes will be applied to the manuals; you will receive the latest version soon for you review.

Kind Regards,
Thomas

----------

Elinca S.A.

Thomas H.W. Beinke

Deputy Director / Marketing

www.elinchrom.com
"

Jul 18 07 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

StephenEastwood wrote:

the standard ranger kit has the slow head and he batteries run to about 140 full power at 1100ws  the hensel is 1200ws at 250 each and charger acts as a AC unit if full or slow charge while powering the heads with ac, the faster head elinchrom has onely one battery at $100.00 less than the hennsel, either way for the same bang you pay more.

Stephen Eastwood

#s are off depending on the unit/kit. You get the elinchrom speed AS kit with head, two batteries, etc for apprx 2500. The equiv Porty is apprx $500 more and add 100w/s. The specs on the speed AS win out for less cash.

Jul 18 07 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

mary duprie wrote:
way to make friends.....

if you read his profile you will see all the signs that he can readily afford it.....

i think it is the smart thing to do....i did the same when i started out....i bought pro foto right from the get go....i said i'm going to be a photographer no use buying the stuff twice...

so get a clue

i agree the porty is a great way to go, it's what i would buy...wish i would of started with hensel instead of pro foto

good luck

well if the OP didn't act like a spoiled brat I'd be more adapt to help him. however he has shown a poor attitude on here and little regard to money or what's out there.

I'm also not here to make friends. In fact I need to be more mean since then maybe I would be doing a shoot a day after work for the next two weeks.

what's this clue about anyway? I buy what I can afford to fit the need. Example, someone is selling a nice 80-200 for $500 today on craigslist. I easily have that much money sitting around but I don't need the lens and really wouldn't use it.

What's this buying it twice bs as well? I haven't heard of anyone having to do this, and if they did it's because they got a lot of use out of the old equipment.

OMG I better save up for a 1dsM2 becuse anything else I'd have to buy twice... grow up.

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Marcel Vocino wrote:
well the broncolor verso will cost arounnd 10,000 with 3 heads.... thats a little outrageous, maybe? haha

They are worth it, I am using them in studio and on location and they are amazing lights but big for small productions if you want to travel a bit lighter and do not need the extras they offer.  They will not likely be readily available in many rental houses because of the price so that may be a concern to some.

Stephen Eastwood

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

fStopstudios wrote:

#s are off depending on the unit/kit. You get the elinchrom speed AS kit with head, two batteries, etc for apprx 2500. The equiv Porty is apprx $500 more and add 100w/s. The specs on the speed AS win out for less cash.

again that is a slow head not a fast head the fast head kit is 2895 for a one battery kit, the two hensels offer about 500 full power flashes the elinchrom offer 140 per or 280 for two they need three to offer the same output on location, its important only if you need more and have no generator or ac, I usually bring 3 to 4 packs and at least 3 batteries per pack anywhere just to not have to think about it.  But either unit is good for the money, and way less then either profoto or broncolor.

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 18 07 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

well if the OP didn't act like a spoiled brat I'd be more adapt to help him. however he has shown a poor attitude on here and little regard to money or what's out there.

I'm also not here to make friends. In fact I need to be more mean since then maybe I would be doing a shoot a day after work for the next two weeks.

what's this clue about anyway? I buy what I can afford to fit the need. Example, someone is selling a nice 80-200 for $500 today on craigslist. I easily have that much money sitting around but I don't need the lens and really wouldn't use it.

What's this buying it twice bs as well? I haven't heard of anyone having to do this, and if they did it's because they got a lot of use out of the old equipment.

OMG I better save up for a 1dsM2 becuse anything else I'd have to buy twice... grow up.

I am using a 39mp back more than the 1DS2 so I would have to buy 2 and a 1/4 of them to ad up in numbers wink

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 18 07 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

5nap5hot wrote:
How so? Can you elaborate on that? I am currently looking for a portable lighting solution as well. I am mulling getting something Ranger/Porty-ish  OR something like a Dyna-lite XP1100  plus a monolight.

That depends on your definition of portable. I'm mobile enough that I can run around with my pack and head and be set up, shoot, and be out in under 5 minutes. I can also navigate through a crowd with my gear, don't have to worry about having a top heavy monolight setup, don't have as many logistic issues to take into consideration on location, and don't get tired carrying gear around. Plus I like having accessible controls via the pack instead of having them on the monolight.

If you don't need to move around much once you're on location then obviously mobility isn't a major concern. Ultimately you're going to have to figure out what works best for you. In my case, dedicated battery packs fit better.

Jul 18 07 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

StephenEastwood wrote:
again that is a slow head not a fast head the fast head kit is 2895 for a one battery kit, the two hensels offer about 500 full power flashes the elinchrom offer 140 per or 280 for two they need three to offer the same output on location, its important only if you need more and have no generator or ac, I usually bring 3 to 4 packs and at least 3 batteries per pack anywhere just to not have to think about it.  But either unit is good for the money, and way less then either profoto or broncolor.

Stephen Eastwood

Steve, send me 3k and I'll send you the speed AS kit with the fast head and 2 batteries (500 flashes), which do outspec the porty head.

Your absolutely right tho-- they are both fantastic kits. It comes down to who has the best deal at the time and what's in stock. I would be thrilled with either.

Jul 18 07 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

mary duprie

Pontiac, Michigan, US

with your attitude you'll always have a day job...mean doesn't cut it

try some charm.....works like butta

Jul 18 07 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

StephenEastwood wrote:
I am using a 39mp back more than the 1DS2 so I would have to buy 2 and a 1/4 of them to ad up in numbers wink

Stephen Eastwood

hrmm canon makes backs smile?

btw steve, your work is fantastic.

Jul 18 07 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

The watt/second or joules/second in a powerpack spec doesn't relate to the amount of light emitted by a standard tungsten bulb.  It relates to the energy stored in the flash capacitor ... hence some room for confusion as not all flash light fixtures put out the same amount of light for the same amount of electrical power input.

YMMV

Rudi A.

rp_photo wrote:

My understanding is that a WS is related to the amount of light a standard tungsten bulb would emit in one second. For example, 500 WS is the amount of light a 500W bulb would emit over 1 second or a 50W bulb would emit over 10 seconds.

Jul 18 07 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

fStopstudios wrote:

hrmm canon makes backs smile?

btw steve, your work is fantastic.

Thanks,   I myself, am always sick of it sad

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 18 07 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Alex MacPherson

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

BlindMike wrote:
That depends on your definition of portable. I'm mobile enough that I can run around with my pack and head and be set up, shoot, and be out in under 5 minutes. I can also navigate through a crowd with my gear, don't have to worry about having a top heavy monolight setup, don't have as many logistic issues to take into consideration on location, and don't get tired carrying gear around. Plus I like having accessible controls via the pack instead of having them on the monolight.
If you don't need to move around much once you're on location then obviously mobility isn't a major concern. Ultimately you're going to have to figure out what works best for you. In my case, dedicated battery packs fit better.

Ok... this is the kind of answer I was looking for. My dilemma is that occasionally I want to shoot studio and my budget doesn't allow for 2 setups. I guess I could do the rental route but it would be nice to have my own gear (.. that I know and love) :-)  I also invested in a set of Pocket Wizards ... Hensel doesn't support that because they have their own transmitters.

ahhh... I am going crazy trying to figure it out!

Jul 18 07 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

alan staats

Phoenix, Arizona, US

...in my opinion, go for the elinchroms.  the light is great, the speed rings lock in tight, and as i travel a great deal, (although they live in pelican cases) my oldest units (which are, admittedly, AC-only monolights) still work after four years and over 200 road trips. 

i've got the two ranger rx speed systems, and no complaints, although i do recommend the rapid charger and an extra battery. 

the only fly in the ointment as far as ellies are concerned is the fact that they are marketed and "supported" in the states by bogen imaging.  i have had issues with one of the monolights and, despite leaving three phone messages (and two emails) on the bogen support hotlines and website, i am still waiting for a reply... ten months later.  i ended up with having the work done by the canadian distributor in toronto.

at any rate, my $.02.

alan

Jul 18 07 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

5nap5hot wrote:

Ok... this is the kind of answer I was looking for. My dilemma is that occasionally I want to shoot studio and my budget doesn't allow for 2 setups. I guess I could do the rental route but it would be nice to have my own gear (.. that I know and love) :-)  I also invested in a set of Pocket Wizards ... Hensel doesn't support that because they have their own transmitters.

well you really haven't posed a question-- what's itching ya that I can scratch?

Jul 18 07 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

5nap5hot wrote:

You can use pocket wizards with hensel or use their unit, I personally only use their unit to adjust lights up and down in power but use other radios I have so I can have the packs on different frequencies and set them all by remote independantly.  You can always get a hensel mini 1200 WS pack and heads that have 300ws modeling lights and work with the porty system but is an ac pack head setup.  Than you can use the same heads and ring on all packs ac or battery.

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 18 07 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

okie, I'll go crawl back into my elinchrom hole... for now.

Been fun.

Jul 18 07 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

fStopstudios wrote:
okie, I'll go crawl back into my elinchrom hole... for now.

Been fun.

I happen to like elinchrom personally, just found the hensels offer a bit more overall, but I am so multisystem its not even funny, I use broncolor and blackline mainly, profoto on many jobs, now broncolor or hensel on locations, lumedynes as accent lights, love the vivitar 285's and still have canon 550/580 setups Kinos, arris, hmi's, neons, fiber optics, you name it I use it, I love light and all different types of it, its fun to play with and figure out new ways of doing things, same goes for gels, color correcting and colored, or color breaking on occassion wink .

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 18 07 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

StephenEastwood wrote:

I happen to like elinchrom personally, just found the hensels offer a bit more overall, but I am so multisystem its not even funny, I use broncolor and blackline mainly, profoto on many jobs, now broncolor or hensel on locations, lumedynes as accent lights, love the vivitar 285's and still have canon 550/580 setups Kinos, arris, hmi's, neons, fiber optics, you name it I use it, I love light and all different types of it, its fun to play with and figure out new ways of doing things, same goes for gels, color correcting and colored, or color breaking on occassion wink .

Stephen Eastwood

absolutely!

Jul 18 07 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Marcel Vocino

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dont act like you know me dude.....

but to get back on topic, Im going with PROFOTO b2s

I called smashbox studios and studio 59 here is LA and spoke with people and they all recommended profoto, thus confirming my original speculations

thanks very much for all the responses, side topics and haters

tata

Jul 19 07 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

An educational thread. I've researched batt packs and always recoiled at the cost for occasional use. Op oughta rent to tryout a kit if it's possible, but likely won't find anything other than Hensel or Profoto avail unless NY or LA. I'd assume the school has gear to try of course.
   I started with Hensel studio light and changed over to Profoto....but the flashtubes, ascessories cost 2-3x the Hensel equiv.. . Of course you can rent Profoto most everywhere...and that influenced me significantly, always a factor to consider... when you need to expand your kit.

Jul 19 07 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

ip studio

New York, New York, US

$15 rechargeable 6v motorcycle battery and a vivitar 285

Jul 19 07 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Alex MacPherson

fStopstudios wrote:

well you really haven't posed a question-- what's itching ya that I can scratch?

Well... I am trying to decide whether or not to get a dedicated portable system OR a dedicated studio system and use a AC power supply (Jackrabbit/Vagabond). I am still pretty new to the game, but I don't want to buy equipment that I will outgrow. I am  big believer in the "buy cheap ...buy twice" phrase. Yet on the other hand, I don't have  a budget of more than $2-3K

Jul 19 07 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

5nap5hot wrote:
Well... I am trying to decide whether or not to get a dedicated portable system OR a dedicated studio system and use a AC power supply (Jackrabbit/Vagabond). I am still pretty new to the game, but I don't want to buy equipment that I will outgrow. I am  big believer in the "buy cheap ...buy twice" phrase. Yet on the other hand, I don't have  a budget of more than $2-3K

well for 2k you don't have much choice in the matter..  For a good pack system with one head your looking at at least 2k, more likely around 2.5-3k. Then you need modifiers and all the other toys... that can easily run around 1-3k.

at that budget, pick up a couple decent monos and a vagabond2. When you can afford it and need better, get it.

Jul 19 07 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Alex MacPherson

fStopstudios wrote:

well for 2k you don't have much choice in the matter..  For a good pack system with one head your looking at at least 2k, more likely around 2.5-3k. Then you need modifiers and all the other toys... that can easily run around 1-3k.

at that budget, pick up a couple decent monos and a vagabond2. When you can afford it and need better, get it.

Thanks for your advice. What would you recommend for a 2 light setup? What brands and what models?

I really appreciate your help

Jul 19 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

5nap5hot wrote:

Thanks for your advice. What would you recommend for a 2 light setup? What brands and what models?

I really appreciate your help

plenty of good ones. However, I tend to think more strategic and buy into a "system" rather than what's a decent light. What modifiers do you use, plan to use, lust after? Elinchrom has a kick ass 2 light kit deal going on now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … 704&is=REG

for 1200 that's an awesome kit. Hensel also has a kit that is roughly on par although not running a special right now.

If you wanted to go cheap-- alien bees are ok for the cash and cheaper. But you do get what you pay for in the lighting world for the most part. I have had two B800s for a few years and they are fine for the money.

Really depends on you, what kind of work, your values, how much you plan to use stuff, etc. For my money, the elinchrom kit is a no brainer tho.

Jul 19 07 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

here's hensel's equiv:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 … light.html

you'll never outgrow either of those and both companies offer world class modifiers, and you can scale the system to meet your needs...

Jul 19 07 06:59 pm Link